Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2002 V40 1.8i belt snapped

Views : 502

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2017, 12:37   #1
Martiny

Default 2002 V40 1.8i belt snapped

Hi
New to this and not all that clued up on cars. Looking for some advice if possible on my 52 plate Volvo v40 1.8i. I've only had the car a couple of months. It had sat while I was away for a couple of weeks. When I tried to start it the bty was dead, had another bty so changed it over. The car then started but there was a smell of burning rubber from under the bonnet and the engine wouldn't keep running unless I dipped the accelerator slightly. I knew something wasn't right so killed the engine and on inspection noticed what I assume to be the cam belt had snapped but it's been melted. The timing belt is intact as far as I know but like I said I don't know a lot about cars and I could be completely wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Don't wantto get a mechanic out if it's not going to be worth it financially although I've got quite attached to the old girl.
Martiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 12:45   #2
Martiny

This is the best pic I could get at the time if it's any help to diagnose the issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20171020-WA0001.jpg (170.9 KB, 53 views)
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 13:48   #3
Martiny

Right update, as I mentioned don't know much about cars but I'm guessing it's the alternator belt, pulley and tensioner that needs replaced. Is this an inexpensive job or am I looking at denting the bank account?
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 16:40   #4
magnuz
Ancient

While the belt is off check all the pulleys (except the crankshaft pulley) & tensioner for roughness, play & stiffness in the bearings...ideally they should all rotate smoothly ! Also check that the failed auxilliary belt has not got wrapped around the crankshaft pulley, as it can find it's way inside the timing belt cover & get tangled up with the timing belt !

Last edited by magnuz; Oct 20th, 2017 at 16:45.
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 17:01   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

As he said ^^^^^^^.

Get a new belt and tensioner. Can be a little tricky to fit if you are not handy with the spanners. You need to work out the route of the belt around the pulleys as it is easy to get it wrong and the belt will either be too short or too long if not routed correctly. I'm sure someone on here will be able to post a diagram showing the correct route. If it is too much for you to DIY, get a mobile mechanic to do it for you, as presumably the car is not drivable at the moment.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 05:54   #6
flyingtech55

This can be caused by a seized alternator. Had the same thing happen on my Mazda Mx5 for the same reason. The clearance between the rotor and stator is pretty small and if the car is left unused rust can cause a temporary seize. If you can free it off it may well be OK. In the case of the Mazda, I chose to renew the alternator because the car was a second car and not used daily.

HTH

TimR
flyingtech55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 08:37   #7
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Don't forget that you will need the engine number rather than the VIN number when ordering an Aux belt. It's on the ECU cover sticker on most cars, rather than the bulkhead VIN plate.
My Indy managed to fit the wrong belt, as the length of the 2 options is the same, but they have a different number of ribs.
Not sure if the petrol versions are the same in terms of different belts or not.

The Aux belt should be changed when the main cam belt service is done and the
tensioner bearing checked for wear at the same time. One way to do that is to remove it, place it on your finger and spin it up. If there is any sign of vibration or play in the bearing it needs to be replaced.
My Aux tensioner started to make a chirpy sound at warm idle before I replaced it.

Checking the alternator bearing is a bit more complicated, as it's the run on clutch function that fails. Spin it up by hand, then grab the pulley to see if it stops. It should carry on spinning. Alas a bad alternator pulley unit will make a similar sound to other Aux belt bearings.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 13:59   #8
Worms

Could it not also be a seized clutch on the air con pump (if air con fitted)?
Worms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 10:18   #9
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worms View Post
Could it not also be a seized clutch on the air con pump (if air con fitted)?
Yes, although they seem to last longer than the tensioners and alternator. The idler pulley is another possibiliy.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 12:06   #10
mrfixer

This model with the gdi engine the alternator is the tensioner so you need to check every item this belt drives to find culprit
mrfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrfixer For This Useful Post: