Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2002 s40 1.9t Battery Ground Terminal Hot

Views : 828

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 06:34   #1
diggerdude

Default 2002 s40 1.9t Battery Ground Terminal Hot

For some reason my Battery Ground connection gets very hot when I run my head lights. I have cleaned battery terminals, checked ground connections to body and where the ground bolts to transmission and it all looks good. Battery cables look in new condition. Checked resistance between positive post and alternator and it reads 0.10v Also do not know if its normal, but the top of the radio gets very hot also. I found that because I had the Climate control out of the car and just happened to touch the top of the radio housing to move it over.

I would appreciate some feed back!
Thanks!

Last edited by diggerdude; Oct 22nd, 2017 at 06:35. Reason: nothing
diggerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 10:03   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerdude View Post
For some reason my Battery Ground connection gets very hot when I run my head lights. I have cleaned battery terminals, checked ground connections to body and where the ground bolts to transmission and it all looks good. Battery cables look in new condition. Checked resistance between positive post and alternator and it reads 0.10v Also do not know if its normal, but the top of the radio gets very hot also. I found that because I had the Climate control out of the car and just happened to touch the top of the radio housing to move it over.

I would appreciate some feed back!
Thanks!
Normal for the radio to get hot ! Try the voltmeter check between the centre of the lead battery post and chassis , with your loads on .. should be about 0.2 Ohms ... heat = resistance , it could be a poor crimp connection at the battery earth clamp . If all is well then the heat would be coming from the inside of the battery , not good !
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 17:28   #3
gatos
Premier Member

Is there any corrosion on the crimp that bolts on the chassis?

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 18:04   #4
diggerdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Normal for the radio to get hot ! Try the voltmeter check between the centre of the lead battery post and chassis , with your loads on .. should be about 0.2 Ohms ... heat = resistance , it could be a poor crimp connection at the battery earth clamp . If all is well then the heat would be coming from the inside of the battery , not good !
Thank's for the advice! I will check this out. The cable crimps look good, all clean and tight connections. Could it be in the alternator at all?
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 19:28   #5
clarkey1984
Premier Member

The heat will only be present at the site of the high resistance, so its either the cable where it goes into the connector, the connector, or the battery post itself, it cant be anything else, if it were either the cable lower down or the other end of the cable where it bolts to the body then that's where the heat would be, if it were me id change the cable and connector at the same time just to be safe.
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 20:08   #6
diggerdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Is there any corrosion on the crimp that bolts on the chassis?
No corrosion anywhere, everything looks clean ad in new condition. Maybe I should change the battery ground cable and see what happens.
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 20:09   #7
diggerdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
The heat will only be present at the site of the high resistance, so its either the cable where it goes into the connector, the connector, or the battery post itself, it cant be anything else, if it were either the cable lower down or the other end of the cable where it bolts to the body then that's where the heat would be, if it were me id change the cable and connector at the same time just to be safe.
Thank You!
Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 00:18   #8
diggerdude

Default Changing Positive Battery Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
I've decided to replace both battery cables, I cut away both upper wire coating's on the positive cable and inside that new looking cable was full of corrosion. Can you tell me what all I need to remove to change the positive cable? (New to Volvo) 2002 s40 1.9t. Project car I took on for my 16 year old Son.
Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 07:13   #9
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Copper is a real good conductor of heat, so if one end gets hot, it's possible for the cause to be that the cable was heated up by a poor connection at the other end.

Once you find the real hot spot, remove the cable (After switching off unless you like alternator jobs) and fill the inside of the terminal with solder. You will need to use a small blow lamp (Or the gas cooker) to get the terminal hot enough to soak up the solder. Do both ends and the clean up the connection site.
No need to replace the cable or connectors.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote