Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

If your current OBDII reader won't clear codes read this ...

Views : 2613

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2019, 14:45   #1
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Default If your current OBDII reader won't clear codes read this ...

I posted back in Oct '18 about my car, a 1.6 manual X reg 2000 V40, which appeared to be a mk 1.5 since whilst the reader would report I had an error code it wouldn't show me the exact code nor let me clear it.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287414

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287546

The reader I'd purchased was a cable connected model but having recently discovered a possible issue with the car's idle control valve I decided to try to read the codes again and this time I bought a bluetooth OBDII reader, "just in case", and was pleased to find it worked perfectly.

So I was able to read and clear all codes.

I found an old code from months ago P0420 (catalyst / O2 sensor related) which had kept the CEL on, and discovered P0102 too which seems to suggest the issue is with the MAF rather than the IACV.

So if you've tried unsuccessfully to read and clear fault codes on your car I can recommend you try one of these Bluetooth readers. I got mine for £4.09 delivered from the UK in 3 days.

Details as follows
OBD2 ELM327 Car Scanner V2.1 Bluetooth Android Torque Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-ELM3...72.m2749.l2649

FYI the one that would read but not clear the codes cost £10.95, as below

EOBD OBDII OBD2 Car Fault Code Reader Vehicles Scanner 2 CAN BUS Diagnostic

I've attached a pic of the two readers, you'll find them both on ebay.

HTH someone else
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190615_1308452.jpg (154.7 KB, 41 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:39   #2
oliverpervasive

Default S/V40 1998 1.6 code reader - software

Thanks for the mention of this reader which might work with my model also.

Can you tell me which software worked and where you downloaded it from?

I had a quick look and got confused.

I assume you downloaded it to a phone and connected to this reader via Bluetooth?

Many thanks

OP
oliverpervasive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oliverpervasive For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 19:49   #3
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Sure.

The red bodied cable connected reader comes with its own (useless software).

For the bluetooth connecting plugin I downloaded Torque (lite) to my Android phone.

Once I'd selected the pass code it connected and immediately showed me the error codes, which I could then clear.

AFAIK there's a premium version of the Torque, but the lite one was perfectly ok for my low-level requirements.

I believe there are quite a few apps available and no doubt people have their own preferences, but this one worked for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 19:51   #4
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

I noticed your car's a 1998 model, which makes it a S1, so perhaps there might be some issues with reading all the data?

If you look back through some of the posts on here there's been discussions as to what can be read for a S1, S2 etc.

But for the cost of the bluetooth reader it's certainly worth a go.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 23:29   #5
oliverpervasive

Default VOL-VCR reader etc

Thanks for the reply.
I ve been round the houses on this before.

I use to have a V70 TDI 98 ( my baby) - and eventually borrowed the VOL =VCR off Bigfella66= as my cable and laptop would not work but his did for both the 98 V70 and the S40 x reg. You need a XP windows laptop and not just the freeware /software etc

FYI I found a variant on the red one would clear certain codes but not read them on the S40 - a friend of Kev (Bartlett) ( a legend in the V70 world of help) lent his.

It is a bit of a minefield as far as (correct) cables and software and XP laptops so I am bit dubious if this reader overcomes all previous hurdles.

If I spend my fiver I will confirm for others to follow.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

OP
Old Jul 5th, 2019, 20:48   #6
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Good luck with the bluetooth reader, hope it works for you & remember to post back on here to say how you got on so others can benefit too.
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 14:14   #7
oliverpervasive

Default OBD11 scanner of ebay

I ordered one of these blu tooth OBD11 scanners as per the the ebay link above.

I then looked at the various pieces of software out there - was a bit wary of torque lite as there were a lot of comments how it asks for access to your contacts etc

There are quite a few to choose from - the free ones obvoulsy have in built adverts etc.
I settled on car scanner from the google play store- however being a bit cautious I only downloaded it on a spare phone we have which does not have all my contacts on. I really would advise everyone to be a a bit cautious with these bits of software as they can empty you phone of all sorts of info.

Anyhow - stuck the tacky light weight reader into car - turned on software - you have to pair them first - the scanner did not say what its pin code was - but 1234 or 000 worked. Phone OBD reader software picked up the card and I tried reading the codes. It said there were none. Which was great - or it was nt working. However it did pick up voltage to the OD reader so it was communicating real time with car as this fluctuated. So it appears to work. I think I need to play with the software more to see if it can read anything else . I know from the age of this car that the OBD11/ecu is limited so don't expect all the bells and whistles you get from a modern car.
I plugged it into the Miisus' car - ~Nissan Quash 1.5 diesel - and it picked up a faulty glow plug error code.

On the face of it this seems a great and cheap alternative to having to faff around with an XP laptop and cable and expensive software - although the readings/software were much more intuitive.

To confirm I have an x reg s40 1.6 auto petrol.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 18:00   #8
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Glad to see you had some success with the reader.

Yes it is definitively rather tacky looking ... & it gets VERY hot when connected and reading for more than a few minutes so I'd not use it myself on a run, just outside the house.

I do recollect it asked to connect to contacts etc when installing for the first time; I think you can select "no" but I don't remember what I did, just that my phone's still working, so it seems an ok app.

A thought: Assuming your CEL (engine graphic) is working (ie it comes on when you put the key into the ignition position and then goes out when the car's running), then your car currently has no error codes to read, which is good news as such.

For mine, whenever the CEL stays lit the reader will show the error codes & let me clear them.

You said ".. so don't expect all the bells and whistles you get from a modern car." Yes, there are some codes that these tools can't read or reset; AFAIK that includes safety related such as airbags, aircon, some diesel engine codes & stuff that's been set as proprietary to each car make. They've got to get you into their garages somehow!

Last edited by CharlesStevenson; Jul 18th, 2019 at 18:03. Reason: Extra words
CharlesStevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 00:00   #9
HalV40

Thanks Charles, I have the same cabled reader and it does not seem to communicate at all with my 2001 1.9TDi Phase II. It reads everything else! I will buy the Bluetooth one and give it a go.
HalV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HalV40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 09:50   #10
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Hope it works for you too HalV40 as I'd given up when the cabled version wouldn't do what it was intended to do.

Post back on here so others can benefit too.

Thx