Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar - how to know if one is fitted?

Views : 6233

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2015, 13:56   #21
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducklakeview View Post
That car is 200bhp as std, so Polestar should see what, 240?

Mike

215bhp.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 13:25   #22
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

A Norwegian tuner on the forum said that the Volvo power management software won't allow the engine to transmit more power than is safe for the transmission. Polestar increase the torque in the midrange to make the car more drivable. Their power boost is relatively modest compared to what the engine can be made to produce. I've never heard of an intercooler problem being related to a Polestar map on the forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 16:16   #23
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I've never heard of an intercooler problem being related to a Polestar map on the forum.
Well, theres no way to reliably link any particular fault to a remap with 100% certainty.

Im very confident the PS remap on mine has hastened its demise, but whether thats by 5,10,20,50k miles is anyones guess.

My Uncle in Law is running a RICA 240 map on his 2009 V70 with the same engine. Its an absolute flying machine.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 01:51   #24
Villeh

Exclamation

I have also tried to find out if I have polestar or not,I have asked a cartech on my volvodealer and he says he have checked it that I should have it.

But I don't think he had access to check it and just say so,I think it's had been deleted in some repairs I hade on the car.

How can I really se if it still there? With vida and compare turbo pressure?
Villeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 02:39   #25
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Contact Polestar and ask them. If you have it once it can be reinstalled. Should't get overwritten though.

Roy
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 02:50   #26
Villeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Contact Polestar and ask them. If you have it once it can be reinstalled. Should't get overwritten though.

Roy
Yes I have gotten it confirmed that it had been there from polestar,but how do I check it my self I don't think the Volvo mechanic have checked it.

I my have had something more then polestar when I bought it, it's a V70 D4 -15 sport.

Maybe it had BSR optimised with 275hp and now it feels like it's back att 181hp.

Last edited by Villeh; Jul 17th, 2019 at 02:57.
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 06:39   #27
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Look at the engine ECU: is it standard Volvo, or does it have Polestar branding on it?

In early model XC90s, the tuning was done by loading the new tune to the Volvo engine ECU
The new tune can be detected in VIDA by looking for the Checksum error
And without VIDA by seeing if the engine has any error codes stored (but you cannot see what codes, so this is a non definitive check)

In later years Polestar fitted their own ECUs, which whilst I have never seen one, should have a Polestar branding on them
So take the cover off to expose the ECU and have a look
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 06:46   #28
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villeh View Post
I have also tried to find out if I have polestar or not,I have asked a cartech on my volvodealer and he says he have checked it that I should have it.

But I don't think he had access to check it and just say so,I think it's had been deleted in some repairs I hade on the car.

How can I really se if it still there? With vida and compare turbo pressure?
It is entirely possible that a dealer deleted an engine tune by not being careful and just performing an entire vehicle software update.

Happened to me.
Luckily I checked and I demanded that they re-instate the tune.
They did, at their cost. Even though it meant removing the ECU and sending it to Germany for reloading of the tune (it is a HEICO tune)

See my other post to confirm if the tune is still fitted.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 16:25   #29
Villeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Look at the engine ECU: is it standard Volvo, or does it have Polestar branding on it?

In early model XC90s, the tuning was done by loading the new tune to the Volvo engine ECU
The new tune can be detected in VIDA by looking for the Checksum error
And without VIDA by seeing if the engine has any error codes stored (but you cannot see what codes, so this is a non definitive check)

In later years Polestar fitted their own ECUs, which whilst I have never seen one, should have a Polestar branding on them
So take the cover off to expose the ECU and have a look
Hi, I haven't heard about polestar change out the hole ECU,but I will check it out.I think my car got polestar at 2016,but I thought it was only a software change.

Should I get error codes if I have polestar installed?what is checksum error? Doesn't that turn the engine light?

I'am thinking on ordering a vida from eBay or alike,to have full control over the car and my volvodealer.☺️

Thanks alot for your help! 👍

Last edited by Villeh; Jul 17th, 2019 at 16:27.
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 17:08   #30
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villeh View Post
Should I get error codes if I have polestar installed?what is checksum error? Doesn't that turn the engine light?
Yes, any change to the Flash RAM contents which deviate from the factory delivery will produce a Checksum Error.
The Checksum Error does not produce a Check Engine light (maybe because the tuner they deprioritised the alarm, or maybe it never did cause a check engine light)

To learn what a Checksum is, see wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum

A checksum is used to verify data integrity, and it is exactly the integrity that gets changed when a tune is applied.
Thus the checksum error is a positive confirmation that the tune exists.

This is true for the 2002-2015 XC90s and the type of ECM fitted to them, as most tuners cannot or do not update the ECM checksum to avoid the checksum error.

Other cars and/or other tuners may be able to update the checksum. It all depends on what ECM is fitted, and where the checksum exists, and if it is updateable.
If the checksum gets updated during a tune, then no checksum error will exist.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post: