Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Kangaroo Petrol

Views : 886

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 20:53   #1
The Old Bailey

I have a problem when acelerating and turning left. It seems that there is some sort of Fuel starvation or something as the car judders like it is using kangaroo fuel.

Is it the fuel pump?
Dirt in the tank?

Does anyone have an idea what it could be I'm struggling to work it out

Its a 82/83 240 DL with 73kmiles

Thanks
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 22:04   #2
peteS40

Do you mean it happens when accelerating while turning left, or does it happen while accelerating AND it also happens while turning left?

If you ran the tank very low it might have sucked up some crud into the fuel line. Maybe blocked the fuel filter. Years ago I had an old Renault and for "reasons unknown" it developed this fault where it would never run right until it had fully warmed up in damp conditions. Didn't know why, time passed and I noticed the fuel tank had sprung a leak. Funny thing was, changing the fuel tank also fixed the rough idle / cut out problem I had too!

So could your problem also be related to the fuel tank becoming porous?
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 17:38   #3
The Old Bailey

Yes it happens when acelerating from standstill in first but more often when turning left.

Just putting an inline filter wouldn't cure it would it? I supose if its the tank it will need drained and cleaned?

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 18:18   #4
peteS40

Interesting... if it happens when accelerating one could think it is the fuel pump but this would seem unusual if it happens when turning left (and not really accelerating or anything).

Is it a mechanical pump on this car, or electric?

It does seem related to some sort of lateral movement of the vehicle. Could well be some sort of fuel pick up problem i.e problem with the sender unit.

Possibly also some sort of odd problem with the carburretor. Maybe the float chamber valve is knackered and its getting starvation because the float chamber is not fully filled with fuel. Valve might be blocked or something. Have a look where the carb is and then think about which way the fuel would tip when turning left or right. Imagine you turn left - if the fuel level was low would this lead to it being empty at the top? Consequently if you turn right, would that leave it full at the top? I hope this makes sense. I presume the problem doesn't happen when you turn right because you never mentioned it!

Do you know what sort of carb it is? This might help people work out what's wrong, and how to fix it. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with this particular car but many carbs where used on loads of different cars.

If the problem is some sort of hole in the fuel tank then you'd have to get another one.

Does it happen more in hot or cold conditions, or more before or after car warmed up? I ask in case the fuel is vapourising before getting to the carb although why that should only happen when you go left I don't know.

Pete
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 19:36   #5
Patrick Garland
Patrick

I am definitely not an expert but could it possibly be that what you are describing could be 'hesitation' from the engine rather than fuel starvation. It may be that the hesitation is more accentuated in first gear. A previous 240 of mine would hesitate wickedly in low gear but was not so noticeable in the higher gears. The cause was a break down in the HT lead insulation. Not quite sure whether the turning left might allow the lead to say touch something and short-out a bit. Anyway just a thought to throw into the melting pot !!
Patrick Garland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 21:14   #6
Peter D
Peter D

Have you checked the carb diagpham. dash pot oil AFT and fuel pump operation. Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 00:39   #7
peteS40

Ingition problems would be good to rule out, but you can usually tell if it's a misfire or more fuel related, misfire usually more regular and consistent. What do you reckon Old Bailey, do you still think it's fuel related? Peter D sums it up there much more concisely than I could ever do, what's more he's got the same initials as me so I reckon you're on to a good answer there on that basis alone