Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Pressure Sensor ?

Views : 3998

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2011, 14:06   #1
Resin Rocket

Default Fuel Pressure Sensor ?

Hi all,

I've got a problem with my 2003 V70R and wondered if any other owners had experienced this.

The check engine light has just come on (at start up) and the fuel pump is now noisier. I've seen on some of the US forums that this can be caused by a faulty fuel pressure sensor which causes the fuel pump to run faster (due to the faulty sensor flagging up low fuel pressure). The only difference in driving is a slight decrease in part throttle pick up (intermittent).

Has anyone else had this problem? I've also read that The R models from 2003/4 were subject to a recall in the US for faulty fuel pressure sensors. I don't think this has happend over here as I've owned mine since 2004 and its never been recalled for this.

Thanks for any help.
Resin Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 10:35   #2
slowy

Post faulty fuel pressure sensor

i have a 2003/53 v70r awd and have had a similar problem.it usually occurs on motorway journeys,when you go to overtake and accelerate hard the car stutters momentarilly and then takes off.also occurs at low speed but on acceleration.they changed the fuel filter but this had no effect.i am having the fuel pressure sensor changed which is the likely culprit according to other forum v70r owners.have also had to change the angle gear at great cost,due to loss of awd.cars in the garage again due to loss of awd again but this time its down to a dem module fault,looking at £1400 bill.still love the car when its working.
slowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 09:24   #3
2.4TSE
Master Member

Back in 2004 when I took my car in for its first main service I remember a V70R owner dropping his car off at the same time. His was the first one I had seen and he and I had a good chat as well as look at his car. Turns out he was dropping it off because of the symptoms just described in this thread and it was the fuel pressure sensor that was about to be replaced.

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 10:01   #4
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Recently had the FPS changed in mine

For a while it would stutter a little when picking up after a long cruise, which eventually got worse and it started cutting when on a long run.

I'd go with a FPS change as the sensor isn't too expensive, then maybe TCV and actuator if that doesn't work.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 19:58   #5
Nocomplaints1977
S40R The Yellow Peril

Yes there was a recall in the US (google it for the recall notice for the US and chassis numbers). Those numbers did include UK models however VCUK being their usual selves did not recall cars in the UK for the problem which at times can be downright dangerous.
Check your chassis number and if it is range I would contact VCUK quoting the about the US recall notice and don't take crap about it doesn't effect UK cars, they came off the same line and being in the chassis number range makes it so. VOSA have already been informed over the issue but have little interest as it doesn't make them money. A member on another forum obtained one gratis going down this route with some legal badgering.

That said I have done a 2.4T5 engine replacement in my S60R and have a spare fuel rail which I am fairly sure has a spare FPS on it. I will check the weekend if someone wants it.
Nocomplaints1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 20:49   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

yes the R fuel pressure sensors were prone to failure , They were the first petrol pressure sensors volvo had used .
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 22:25   #7
grainqey
Master Member

i've got a good working one if anybody wants to try it, think they're £150ish new
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 17:08   #8
Robert Brunton

Default Faulty Fuel Pressure Sensor on my 2003 V70R

This is a long shot but here goes.
Hi there, I have been scouring the forum for some help with my V70R. I have come across a post from 2011 which bears all the hallmarks of my problem. Engine stuttering at high revs, cutting out and going into limp mode. Been involved in a few hairy moments on the M1 which wasn’t pleasant. It’s been in and out of a Volvo dealership for months now and so far they haven’t managed to fix the fault. The problem I have is located the correct sensor for my model. Can you help me to identify the right part number? Appreciate that the 2011 post might be distant in your memory but all help welcomed.
Robert Brunton is offline   Reply With Quote