Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2.0D Driveshaft seals

Views : 1155

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 30th, 2016, 14:35   #1
heyskull
Heyskull

Default V50 2.0D Driveshaft seals

I have a leak which is coming from the drive shafts where it enters the gearbox.
This has leaked since I topped the gearbox up after it had a new clutch and flywheel fitted. No I have not overfilled the gearbox in fact I added a litre of the correct oil and it still never came up to the mark!.
Is their a seal for this as I have new driveshafts to go in this week and would replace the seals as well?
Also is their a part number for this as I find it is cheaper buying from Ford than Volvo?

Cheers
SC
heyskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 14:58   #2
cameron1

Not sure if there is a seal however the best thing to do is contact your local Volvo dealer and just explain the symptoms and i'm sure if a seal is available they will tell you the exact name of the seal and they may even give you a part number

cameron
cameron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 17:43   #3
Bloders2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyskull View Post
I have a leak which is coming from the drive shafts where it enters the gearbox.
This has leaked since I topped the gearbox up after it had a new clutch and flywheel fitted. No I have not overfilled the gearbox in fact I added a litre of the correct oil and it still never came up to the mark!.
Is their a seal for this as I have new driveshafts to go in this week and would replace the seals as well?
Also is their a part number for this as I find it is cheaper buying from Ford than Volvo?

Cheers
SC
yes there is a seal. I suspect, when your clutch was done, which necitates removal of the driveshafts, then seals were damaged. no idea on aprt number but i should not think they are that expensive
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 21:08   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

There is a seal and it's about seven quid each side from memory. You will need to drain the oil again though to pop the drive shaft to change it. The old ones can be sods to get out without damaging the housing as they don't have a lip.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 15:21   #5
paddyred
Master Member

I have had to do mine before. Like Tannaton says, cost about £5-£7. I wouldn't worry about draining the oil mind. I jack mine up when doing gearbox stuff and I can jack it up and take out shafts with no spillage if its at a high enough angle. The max level is pretty much at the same height as the top of the driveshafts. I put in around 1.3L from memory when I did my oil change. It takes more than a liter for it to come back out the fill port.

I use one of these to get the seals out. Makes it a tonne easier! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-O-RING-...oAAOSwmc1XPMQL

when putting the new one in just use a socket the same size as the face of the seal and then work in a 12-6-9-3 pattern to knock the new one in.

Last edited by paddyred; May 31st, 2016 at 15:23.
paddyred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paddyred For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 10:30   #6
heyskull
Heyskull

I am struggling to get these seals.
I order two form gsf parts but they are way too small.
Where can I buy some from as I'm loosing loads of oil and the shafts are making a hell of a noise now?

Thanks
SC
heyskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 11:15   #7
paddyred
Master Member

Just order the seals from a Volvo dealer. They aren't expensive at all and some of them do postage.