Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

best modification

Views : 9204

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2009, 19:48   #31
dilip122S

Steve 121, the exhaust is a replica of the one on my Dad's Ruddspeed, with a few design tweaks of my own. Done by a place in Aylesbury that was recommended by my nephew, who builds (modern) rally cars.Properly speaking, its a road/ race system. Upside: dramatic(and I do mean dramatic) increase in top speed and high-end power. Lovely noise, looks great. Downside: its not cheap. And its loud. BUT, its loud but well-bred, if you know what I mean, totally different to some hot hatch running a silly back-box. I love the noise, and feel no need whatsoever for a radio.

Apologies for the scabby condition of my rear bumper,(daily driver, remember!) have cleaned it up a bit since this pic was taken:

It also could'nt be more different, in every possible way, from the usual "big-bore", which is a pretty unimpressive bit of kit, IMHO, in terms of sound, performance, fit etc.

If anyone's seriously interested, I'll dig out the details for the guys who made it (can't honestly remember off the top of my head), and tell you what to specify.

As far as I'm aware, the side-exit system was pretty much unsilenced, and was never intended for road use. I would imagine it would probably be pretty intolerable anywhere except a racetrack. Is anyone running anything like this? I'd be interested to know what its like...
dilip122S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dilip122S For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 21:38   #32
stuart bankier
Stuart

Negative camber, bilsteins, stiffer springs, two front anti roll bars, poly
bushes, motolita steering wheel, minilites and a decent exhaust and manifold.

Stuart
stuart bankier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:47   #33
archieboy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilip122S View Post

If anyone's seriously interested, I'll dig out the details for the guys who made it (can't honestly remember off the top of my head), and tell you what to specify.

That would be great if you could

Cheers

Stuart
archieboy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 12:06   #34
dilip122S

Hi Stuart, Steve et al,

The exhaust was done at:

TOP GEAR RACING Gatehouse Way
AYLESBURY,
Bucks.
HP19 8DB TEL: 01296 433011 Email: topgearaylesbury@aol.com

They're a Powerflow franchise, but these boys really know what they're about. Don't just walk into any Powerflow place and expect them to produce something like this.

You will need to already have a 4 branch exhaust fitted, preferably one with a 3" flange. You'll also need to have lowered suspension, for the exhaust to run comfortably under the back axle, giving that nice straight run we're after.

You should specify a 3" straight pipe (for a B20, 2.75" approx. for a B18 ) running from the manifold to a single box, with twin 2" outlets (1.75" approx for a B18) , these should run straight under the rear axle, as per my photo, and have slash-cut tips if you want the authentic 60's Ruddspeed look. Expect to pay around £500 ( top-grade stainless, remember).

Tim at Powerflow will certainly remember my car, and will I'm sure be happy to oblige anyone who wants the same.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dilip122S For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 12:24   #35
dilip122S

Forgot to say, but it should be fairly obvious, there's not much point in bolting a system like this onto a bog-standard engine. You'll need twin carbs and a D or K cam at the very least. I'd also strongly recommend the electronic distributor as supplied by Amazon cars , which can be set to their own curve for tuned B20's.
You'll need overdrive to make the most of the top end power out on the motorway.

You may also need to re-jet your carbs. I retuned mine, and that seems to have done the trick, without re-jetting, but that's just my engine. Have'nt had it on a rolling road or anything, yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to dilip122S For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 19:01   #36
Steve121
complete member

Talking

cheers for the info, VERY nice looking system... fits much better than my single pipe large bore one. Thinking under the axle is the way to go, just need to shorten the check straps as I've got lowered progressive springs. An original Ruddspeed car would of course be nice to have.

Been living with my very loud straight through system for a few years now, and now the engines smoking a bit though compressions bang on 200psi each cylinder cold, so new guides needed. Time to lay her up, deal with the rust and make a list of improvements!
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 22:58   #37
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

That is the nicest Amazon I've seen!

I always wanted a twin tail-pipe system like yours - I saw one yonks ago and enquired about getting one made, but they needed something to replicate so I settled for a Simonz one instead...

The best upgrade, without a doubt, was my over-drive. Firstly, I just did the over-drive, but with the hilly roads in Devon soon had to source the correct axle. It's great!

Another extremely easy, cheap and succesful 30 minute job was covering the rear light reflectors in aluminium tape from Maplins - thanks to another thread on here. A complete transformation to the brightness of the lights.

Lots of other upgrades including a B20 sourced from a '74 145, twin SU's, lowered & progressively wound springs + gas shock absorbers. I also have widened steel rims - they look nice but the handling feels a bit wonky. I might change them back.

Least successful upgrade - a 5 blade fan that I paid a lot of money for.

This is the most interesting thread on here for yonks! I now have a to-do list including halogen headlights and I'm putting a 123 distributor on my Christmas list!
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 23:01   #38
1966 122s

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
I agree about modern technology - however 195/60 reduces the rolling radius, and thus also the gearing. Even 195/65 is undersized - the next size up from 165R15 that is the closest in diameter & easily available, is 205/65.

Compared to 165R15:
195/60 - 7% smaller diameter
195/65 - 4.1% smaller diameter
205/65 - 2.1% smaller diameter

This advice fits exactly with what I'm getting out of the change I recently made from 165/65/15 to to a set of 195/60/15 . I'm really pleased with the improved grip and handling, and I can just about see / feel the slight lowering which I intended. However, I'm noticing the diameter change in higher rpm when cruising on the dual carriageway. Without an overdrive, the difference at 65 to 70mph is noticable and feels like the 7% that the maths show. If I was spending my money again I'd think of 195/65. or possibly be brave with 195/70 or the 205/65.

Thanks
1966 122s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 10:13   #39
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilip122S View Post
Les Leston steering wheel,
Please could I ask where you sourced the hub for your Les Leston Steering wheel?
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 21:00   #40
dilip122S

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishandgerman View Post
Please could I ask where you sourced the hub for your Les Leston Steering wheel?
Hi swedishandgerman, I had to have the hub specially machined up from billet by Moto-Lita. Have to say they were very helpful, did exactly what I asked for. Its not as nice as the original type Les-Leston hub, which has a more "OEM" look to it, but you could wait forever for one of those in a Volvo fit to come up on ebay. Love the Les Leston wheel, it weighs about half what a modern woodrim weighs and feels great to use. If you've got one, fit it, you won't regret it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ3_f0jGryg

This video gives a good view of the steering wheel.

Last edited by dilip122S; Nov 17th, 2009 at 21:05.
The Following User Says Thank You to dilip122S For This Useful Post: