Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heating Matrix Problem!

Views : 2650

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2011, 18:04   #1
ovlov girl

Default Heating Matrix Problem!

Hello,

I have just been reading a number of posts about heating matrix breaking down and you guessed it. I recently experienced a steam circulating in the car, I noticed that the heating guage is through the roof so turned off the engine immediatley, called the AA and waited for her to cool down and toped up the water.

In the meantime (this is funny bit) I filled the coolent box with 4 watering cans worth of water and just could not fill the coolent box. A
short time latter the bottom of my car was full of coolent.

The AA came to my rescue and confirmed that there was a leak in the heater matrix, but pressure tested it am phew all is well with the engine. They did a tempoary bypass so I could take it to the garage. She dove there like a dream.

I was a bit annoyed as I had paid for a new Heating Matrix to be fitted by this garage 6 months ago (late Oct last year). I rang the garage and they appologiesed and said that they would fix the problem under warentee for free.

I rang the garage today and they said that theheating Matrix had cracked, and they did not know why it had cracked. They asked me if the car had over heated before and I confirmed that it had not. They said that there must be a build up of pressure on the engine to cause the crack and they would pressure test it and it may need a new head gasket.

I replyed saying that the AA had already pressure tested the V70 for excessive pressure build up and confirmed in writing that she is fine and there was no engine damage. They even left her running for 45 minuites checking the engine.

The garage said that the AA can't pressure test the vechile? Even though I gave him a copy of the AA breakdown report that confirmed that this had been done.

Can I please have some advice?
[B]What would cause a reasonably new heater matrix to crack?
Could it have been a faulty heater matrix?
Is it possible that they did not connect it up properly?
And if so how will I know?[

I just want to do my best to ensure that my garage is treating me fairly.

Thank you
ovlov girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 18:25   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

Let them change the core under warranty for free and get the car back, there is probably nothing wrong with the head gasket, if there is it will show up soon enough though.
If the AA have put in writing that its fine I would take it they have indeed pressure tested it, my guess is its time to find a different garage as they sound like they are trying to charge you for a job that simply doesn't need doing - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 18:37   #3
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

"Can I please have some advice?"

"What would cause a reasonably new heater matrix to crack?"

Over pressurisation, faulty manufacture or installation.

Note the pressure in the cooling system is set by the coolant pressure cap, so unless the head gasket is leaking badly, which would be obvious, then there is no way the system can over pressurise unless the cap is faulty. A faulty cap would be failry obvious too, it would likely have caused a further burst of a hose or the radiator when you ran the car with the heater bypassed.

"Could it have been a faulty heater matrix?"

Yes, but it could also have been damaged during installation.

"Is it possible that they did not connect it up properly?"

Yes

"And if so how will I know?"

The only way is to get an independant engineers report, I guess it's too late now as the garage have dismantled it.

If the car ran OK with no loss of coolant or overheating with the matrix bypassed, on what evidence do the garage think there is an engine problem?

I'd suggest you take the stance that they should replace FOC as all the evidence is that the matrix was faulty, then if it goes again you pay.

Was a genuine Volvo part used?
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 20:06   #4
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov girl View Post
Hello,

I have just been reading a number of posts about heating matrix breaking down and you guessed it. I recently experienced a steam circulating in the car, I noticed that the heating guage is through the roof so turned off the engine immediatley, called the AA and waited for her to cool down and toped up the water.

In the meantime (this is funny bit) I filled the coolent box with 4 watering cans worth of water and just could not fill the coolent box. A
short time latter the bottom of my car was full of coolent.

The AA came to my rescue and confirmed that there was a leak in the heater matrix, but pressure tested it am phew all is well with the engine. They did a tempoary bypass so I could take it to the garage. She dove there like a dream.

I was a bit annoyed as I had paid for a new Heating Matrix to be fitted by this garage 6 months ago (late Oct last year). I rang the garage and they appologiesed and said that they would fix the problem under warentee for free.

I rang the garage today and they said that theheating Matrix had cracked, and they did not know why it had cracked. They asked me if the car had over heated before and I confirmed that it had not. They said that there must be a build up of pressure on the engine to cause the crack and they would pressure test it and it may need a new head gasket.

I replyed saying that the AA had already pressure tested the V70 for excessive pressure build up and confirmed in writing that she is fine and there was no engine damage. They even left her running for 45 minuites checking the engine.

The garage said that the AA can't pressure test the vechile? Even though I gave him a copy of the AA breakdown report that confirmed that this had been done.

Can I please have some advice?
[B]What would cause a reasonably new heater matrix to crack?
Could it have been a faulty heater matrix?
Is it possible that they did not connect it up properly?
And if so how will I know?[

I just want to do my best to ensure that my garage is treating me fairly.

Thank you
There is NO WAY on Gods Green Earth that a "Crack" in the Heater Matrix would discharge that amount of coolent into your footwells (well not at once anyway) ... I would think its an "Installation" problem i.e. the garage installed it incorrectly back in Oct ..............

I HATE to say this but .... Your a Female & they (the Garage) are using that against you ......If they tried that stunt (& thats what is it A STUNT) with me they'd be pulling that heater Matrix outta their ASS!!! ...(mind you I am over 6 foot & covered in Tattoo's) ................

My suggestion .............. go & find the biggest guy you know & take him with you (Sounds Stupid??) you gotta "Front em off" DON'T BACK DOWN STAND YER GROUND show em the AA report & say " YOUR PROBLEM YOU SORT IT" ...... END OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; Apr 14th, 2011 at 20:09.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 21:31   #5
Luxobarge
Premier Member

You know what's coming next, don't you?

Wait for it.........

It's coming..........

Here it is!

Aaaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!

Old Apr 14th, 2011, 21:40   #6
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
You know what's coming next, don't you?

Wait for it.........

It's coming..........

Here it is!

Aaaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!

Go paint yer garage floor you .... its needed doin fer at least 6 months ... & you keep Putting it off ... now off yer go & get them brushes outta that turpintine jar ....
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 22:19   #7
Chopster
PITA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
There is NO WAY on Gods Green Earth that a "Crack" in the Heater Matrix would discharge that amount of coolent into your footwells (well not at once anyway) ...
I think the OP was saying that as she was filling the system back up with water it was flowing straight back out into the footwell (hence the 4 watering cans)
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 22:21   #8
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopster View Post
I think the OP was saying that as she was filling the system back up with water it was flowing straight back out into the footwell (hence the 4 watering cans)
Yeah thats wot I read it as Chopster .. but think about it .. if yer pouring water into a "System" & as fast as yer pouring it in it running outta the bottom its gotta be one Bloody great hole ... A crack would leak yeah but not THAT Much its gotta be a connection come adrift surely ...
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 23:05   #9
Chopster
PITA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
Yeah thats wot I read it as Chopster .. but think about it .. if yer pouring water into a "System" & as fast as yer pouring it in it running outta the bottom its gotta be one Bloody great hole ... A crack would leak yeah but not THAT Much its gotta be a connection come adrift surely ...
You're probably right there
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 23:34   #10
gdphillips
ba baracus...

or if you can find us you could hire the a team...........lol........who wants a visit then..??