Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My way of driving and what it does to my car

Views : 25150

Replies : 110

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: This is my driving style
I drive hard, use full throttle and max revs - and have had no issues 26 5.69%
I drive hard, use full throttle and max revs - and have had problems 2 0.44%
I drive moderately hard and floor it from time to time - and have no issues 254 55.58%
I drive moderately hard and floor it from time to time - and have had problems 45 9.85%
I drive very gently, low revs and little throttle mostly - and all is OK 119 26.04%
I drive very gently, low revs and little throttle mostly - and have had problems 11 2.41%
Voters: 457. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:34   #31
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
Diesels might be ok...

but I've got about 320-330lb-ft at 2500 rpm (276lb-ft at the wheels) ... and mine revs to 6500 rpm clean Diesel can't compete with that combination of sound, revs and torque.

I just go LA LA LA when they talk about fuel economy!
LOL Monster Comment. When i'm not travelling 15-18k miles a year i'll probably look at the T5 or even T6 S60 mmmm nice!

05 Plate S40 SE Sport
Bigmunkynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 15:12   #32
marct1980

Everyone goes hard at some point dont they? not many cars out there like to be hammered all the time although like someone already pointed out, the honda vtec that you get in the type r loves to be thrashed and revved like a nutter. it actually takes a bit of getting used to when you first start driving them!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 16:30   #33
Jon E A
Not so new Member

It's option 3 for me "I drive moderately hard and floor it from time to time - and have no issues".

Well no issues with the engine or drive at least, can't say the same for the brakes/discs though. I do tend to it leave it late before braking; was advised by the MOT tester recently that the rear was down to the metal, whoops!

Jon E A.
Jon E A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 22:54   #34
biggs312800

when i had my 2.0d drove it hard now i have my t5 even harder

but that fuel needle does go down quite fast lol
biggs312800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 06:49   #35
volvorocks
Rodney

With any car from new I believe in a good "run in" procedure. No keeping it at constant speeds or below 2000rpm etc, simply drive normally with short bursts of acceleration every so often to get the engine "fit" and sweet running. Never had any engine issues, and have found my engines were sweet, used no oil, didnt knock or bang or smoke, and were pretty nippy with acceptable fuel consumption.In years gone by when the cars were kept for longer periods the mileages were relatively high with no real issues.

I have had issues with the Volvos although this is nothing to do with how they have been driven!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 13:59   #36
Metblackrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
With any car from new I believe in a good "run in" procedure. No keeping it at constant speeds or below 2000rpm etc, simply drive normally with short bursts of acceleration every so often to get the engine "fit" and sweet running. Never had any engine issues, and have found my engines were sweet, used no oil, didnt knock or bang or smoke, and were pretty nippy with acceptable fuel consumption.In years gone by when the cars were kept for longer periods the mileages were relatively high with no real issues.

I have had issues with the Volvos although this is nothing to do with how they have been driven!!

Regards
The general advice with modern engines is to drive them fairly hard at the start.

More on this here.

Looking around, many tuners and engine builders recommend this method due to the reasons given.
Metblackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 18:30   #37
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metblackrat View Post
The general advice with modern engines is to drive them fairly hard at the start.

More on this here.

Looking around, many tuners and engine builders recommend this method due to the reasons given.
Yes Ive read that before.Thanks.

There used to be a good write up on how to run your new Lotus in, which was great, and Ive always done it like that.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 19:52   #38
nbuuifx

I drive very gently 95% of the time, but then also floor it from time to time and drive it hard up to the revs (this isn't in a Volvo as mine arrives tomorrow) but in all other cars I've had. Oh and I have had very little issue with cars.
nbuuifx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 12:38   #39
Axionknight
Premier Member

I drive my 850 T5-R fairly normally, nothing mad or overly fast in anyway - most of the time.

I'll just go with the flow around town and not be one of the people whos always in a rush cutting through traffic etc to try and get ahead. The motorway, I'll cruise around 75, with the odd over take if needed.

I do use the cars performance on occasion though, I can be pretty impatient so if some clown is driving down a 50 road at 35 or whatever, I wont sit behind 'em if I don't have to! Plus I'm only young n' daft so smashing boy racers in their Saxos and Clios is a must, just can't resist!

95% moderate, normal driving, 5% banzai wheel spinning acceleration :P
Axionknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:59   #40
NigeS

I like to check the rev limiter out on a daily basis, which is nigh on impossible in the D5 or A4 as you're well past what the engine can give anyway. In the 911 it's like the gift that grows and just keeps giving.

Modern engines are designed and limited to be well within their capabilities. I put good maintenance, proper warm up procedure and regular proper use down to the lack engine issues.

Short journeys and meandering driving does engines no good in my opinion.
NigeS is offline   Reply With Quote