Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

For those with D5's. Is yours manual or auto

Views : 4729

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: D5 engine, manual or auto
Manual 15 24.19%
Auto 47 75.81%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 27th, 2011, 21:32   #21
Philpottig
Better than an X3 or Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMercR View Post
When did you last drive an auto? They are better for overtaking in the real world and equally good (some say better) in snow and ice. I agree there is a small price to pay at the pumps..
How better? Provided you are in the correct gear (manual or auto) power delivery is seamless.
To be picky Volvo's own performance figures suggest the manual has the edge though I doubt most of us would notice.
Philpottig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 21:54   #22
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60AWD View Post
And for those with manuals are they R-design or another spec?
excuse my asking, but could you advise the purpose of your poll? are you just interested to know or do you think the results will show something?
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 22:11   #23
Ransman
Master Member

I don't think you will get better information than looking at the cars for sale on the Volvo Selekt scheme

http://www.volvoselectedusedcars.com...=app_entryPage

You can play lots of tunes with the information.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 01:07   #24
Superbenj

Having never driven an Automatic before, I was forced to get one when my now wife came over from the US and got an Auto only UK license.

Now I've experienced it, I will never go back, changing gear is for the dumb! Or at least those who really enjoy driving.

To be honest, I do miss having gears every now and again, for every day use though, esp if you live in a city, automatics are a no brainer for me and I guess ther geartronic system is almost the perfect compromise, allowing you to mess about with the gears if you so choose.
Superbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 07:03   #25
Philpottig
Better than an X3 or Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbenj View Post
Having never driven an Automatic before, I was forced to get one when my now wife came over from the US and got an Auto only UK license.

Now I've experienced it, I will never go back, changing gear is for the dumb! Or at least those who really enjoy driving.

To be honest, I do miss having gears every now and again, for every day use though, esp if you live in a city, automatics are a no brainer for me and I guess ther geartronic system is almost the perfect compromise, allowing you to mess about with the gears if you so choose.
Nice, thanks for letting me know I am dumb....
Philpottig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philpottig For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:09   #26
XC60AWD

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
excuse my asking, but could you advise the purpose of your poll? are you just interested to know or do you think the results will show something?

No need to excuse yourself, forums are all about questions and opinions.

I thought it might give me a better idea of the rarity of manual's opposed to auto's. I thought in total maybe one in fifteen D5's were manual and maybe the results on here would show one in eight.

I think the results coming through from the poll show that people who drive manual cars tend to want to talk cars more than people with auto's. Dare I say it they are more passionate about driving. Though we have some very passionate Auto drivers on here as well.

My two polls are really all about me getting my spec right and not dropping a clanger when I come to sell the car in two years with 50,000 miles on the clock.

XC60AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:40   #27
crossedover

Well I ordered an automatic having thought hard about it too - I've had my share of sporty cars including one with one of the best gearboxes ever - the S2000.

I decided that:

a) I spend half my life in traffic so an auto box is good.
b) An auto box suits the more languid delivery of a car like this. Her indoors has a CRV and I often feel it would have been better with an auto box. I'm not convinced cars like these about sporty gear-changes!
c) Come resale most people seem to want auto more than manual. Whether that affects residuals I don't know but clearly will mean the car is easier to shift.

We're all different and have different requirements but that was my thinking about my choice - I've had the chance to change but no regrets
crossedover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:47   #28
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60AWD View Post
My two polls are really all about me getting my spec right and not dropping a clanger when I come to sell the car in two years with 50,000 miles on the clock.
fair enough. hopefully the other info posted on this and your other thread will help you too e.g. the info from volvo's used car site and that from the yahoo article on colour.

you'll notice from the used car site there is a big difference in price between manual and auto. not sure if that's reflected exactly as a ratio to the cost from brand new. if this info is important to you though, it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes or so to do a price comparison between d5 manual's and auto's of similar year/ mileages and their comparable depreciation rate.

on the other hand, i've seen very little to indicate a difference in resale price according to colour. i think colour's more about speed of sale rather than having a material difference. the lower demand is usually balanced out by the lower supply so there's no resale value impact. what might be worth avoiding, however, is a colour scheme that's trendy. it will go out of fashion, reducing demand, but the supply of the used cars will remain as it was when it was trendy. i think all the colours volvo sell are pretty much bog standard, so there's little chance of falling foul of that.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 13:37   #29
stu0710
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
fair enough. hopefully the other info posted on this and your other thread will help you too e.g. the info from volvo's used car site and that from the yahoo article on colour.

you'll notice from the used car site there is a big difference in price between manual and auto. not sure if that's reflected exactly as a ratio to the cost from brand new. if this info is important to you though, it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes or so to do a price comparison between d5 manual's and auto's of similar year/ mileages and their comparable depreciation rate.

on the other hand, i've seen very little to indicate a difference in resale price according to colour. i think colour's more about speed of sale rather than having a material difference. the lower demand is usually balanced out by the lower supply so there's no resale value impact. what might be worth avoiding, however, is a colour scheme that's trendy. it will go out of fashion, reducing demand, but the supply of the used cars will remain as it was when it was trendy. i think all the colours volvo sell are pretty much bog standard, so there's little chance of falling foul of that.
Agreed - remember some of the appalling purples and metallic turquoises of the mid 90's - they really date these cars now. I remember that the purple that was used a lot on small hatchbacks was about a £300 premium new, but used to devalue a car by £500 to £1000 only 2-3 years later, and quite rightly so!
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 13:48   #30
Superbenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpottig View Post
Nice, thanks for letting me know I am dumb....
No worries, you also have RSI in your left shoulder and blisters on your left hand
Superbenj is offline   Reply With Quote