Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2.0D Glow plug relay clicking & non start

Views : 2294

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2014, 06:53   #1
robcru1

Default V50 2.0D Glow plug relay clicking & non start

Hi all,
I am hoping someone may be able to assist me.
I have a V50 with DPf with 171K on the clock. And i drove home yesterday no problem went to start my car later in the evening and it will not start, it turns over fine but will not fire. The glow plug light is flashing randomly and there is a clicking behind the NSF corner which i believe is the location of the glow plug relay. Would this relay suddenly failing cause a non start?
On my way home i did notice that if i held the revs at around 1600-1800 the car juddered almost like a misfire and any other rev range it was ok.
Around a 1000 mile ago had a full service inc fuel filter and also a new egr & egr cooler pipe installed been ok since until last night.
No codes present.
I hope one of you guys has some insight into this for me as it is a little worrying that i may have to drive a fiat 500.
Thanks
robcru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 07:57   #2
msh

Hi
99% sure not glow plug related.
Glow plugs are only used on very cold days
nowadays mainly used to control emissions after start up
Mark
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 19:57   #3
robcru1

A little update on this.
I called my mate to code read and found two faults, glow plug generator fault and glow plug signal fault. we only saw 11.7v so suspected the battery so installed a new battery all the same still. Squirted easy start whilst cranking and it fired but died after easy start had gone through.
suspected fuel so installed a hand primer and primed the system still no go.
Tested crank sensor and this checked out ok as did MAF sensor which would indicate that the ECU signals are all ok, tested cam sensor and found a very low/weak signal so currently suspect this and at £16 im willing to try this before anything else but at this point if the cam sensor does not solve I may be looking at a fuel pump issue.
I will keep you informed.
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 21:37   #4
Guru
Premier Member

Well at 171K anything can go wrong .. but since you have the capability of testing sensors then I'd test the MAP sensor too, it's black and situated on the throttle body in close proximity to the air intake temp sensor which is distinguished by it's green colour.. The MAP sensor is known to cause this symptom you wrote: " i did notice that if i held the revs at around 1600-1800 the car juddered almost like a misfire and any other rev range it was ok."

And since your at the Throttle body "TB" then check for a sticky flap, the plastic housing distorts over time causing the flap to jam leading to starting issues like the ones you're having, some people replace the the TB with new, others just file off a bit of the flap to prevent it from jamming again.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 21:52   #5
robcru1

I was under the impression the TB issue was only on the single pipe version, mine is the 'y' piece type
Out of Interest do you know what figures I should see at he MAP sensor, provided o can actually get the thing running.
Thanks for responses so far
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 23:33   #6
Guru
Premier Member