Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 - Strange goings on (Help)

Views : 1026

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2014, 12:05   #1
andyroo42

Default V50 - Strange goings on (Help)

Hi all,

I recently bought a 2nd hand 2010 V50 (diesel -1.6 DRIVe), and have suddenly started having a peculiar problem(s) with it...

1. Driving along the motorway I noticed that, on inclines (when you'd expect the car to start pulling), the Cruise Control switches itself off. Its fine on the level and downhill, but uphill it doesn't want to play?

2. More worryingly, when accelerating, at the point when you'd normally expect a diesel car to start pulling, the engine revs really high, but fails to accelerate (not funny when pulling onto a motorway or pulling out at junctions). At first I thought it was perhaps not selecting gear properly (it's Manual), or that the clutch was on the way out, but neither of these seem to be the case (no clutch smell and pulls away ok).

Has anyone experienced similar or have an idea what it could be? Volvo have said they've no idea and that I should bring it in for diagnostics (for the pleasure of which they'll charge £60 before even hazarding a guess at the issue).

Any assistance or guesses Very Much Appreciated!
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 13:13   #2
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Quote:
2. More worryingly, when accelerating, at the point when you'd normally expect a diesel car to start pulling, the engine revs really high, but fails to accelerate (not funny when pulling onto a motorway or pulling out at junctions). At first I thought it was perhaps not selecting gear properly (it's Manual), or that the clutch was on the way out, but neither of these seem to be the case (no clutch smell and pulls away ok).
Mine did a similar thing and it was the clutch. Would only slip when doing 60 / 70 on the motorway and trying to accelerate. I could not cause it to slip when pulling away. When it was changed the plate was down to, but not quite touching the rivets. ( V50 2.0d on 80k)
I had the clutch and D M F changed
Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 13:20   #3
andyroo42

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Would only slip when doing 60 / 70 on the motorway and trying to accelerate. I could not cause it to slip when pulling away... I had the clutch and D M F changed
Iain
Nice one, cheers Iain
From what you've said, that sounds entirely plausible - I'll get it checked out.
Please excuse my ignorance... DMF?
Andy
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 13:43   #4
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Dual Mass Flywheel

Cost me £450 for the bits from the Motor factor and £300 to fit with a local garage(just for an idea of cost) Volvo wanted £1250
The garage said it was good practice to change the flywheel at the same time. When the old one was removed it had signs of overheating probably due to the clutch slipping. So it all did need changing.

Iain

Last edited by IainG; Jul 25th, 2014 at 13:46.
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 13:56   #5
andyroo42

Thanks again Iain
£1250 plus £60 diagnostics is more than a bit steep if it can be done for £750 all in eh?
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 14:29   #6
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Mine is the 2.0d and has a DMF. I do not know if yours (1.6) has a DMF. It is the price of the DMF that bumps the price up. Others will be able to let you know.
Iain
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 16:26   #7
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

@OP, your first issue will also be due to the clutch slip.

Cruise control deactivates as soon as you hit the brake or dip the clutch. It will have detected an engine speed increase without a corresponding road speed increase - normally that would be the clutch starting to disengage as the pedal is pressed, but in your car it's the onset of the same clutch slip you describe in your second issue.

It's also worth replacing the concentric clutch slave cylinder while you're paying for the labour to get the gearbox out, they are a known failure item on these cars.

Good luck with the repairs!

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Proghound For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 16:47   #8
IainG
Premier Member

Hi Andy
The £450 included
Clutch. Complete
Concentric slave cylinder
DMF and bolts
(All Sachs in a kit, same as original fit)
Iain

Last edited by IainG; Jul 25th, 2014 at 16:49.
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 18:32   #9
andyroo42

Smile

Muchas gracias fellas
Big Kudos to you both

Last edited by andyroo42; Jul 25th, 2014 at 18:37. Reason: Idioit can't spell kudos... This post has been smell cheeked
andyroo42 is offline   Reply With Quote