Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My S40 Badly Damaged!

Views : 19127

Replies : 179

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 13:35   #161
iainmd

[QUOTE=SonyVaio;1351216]Such a simple jobQUOTE]

If you're lucky it is. I've just had a front bearing replaced and the bearing was never seated correctly and flat at the factory meaning some rust gathered around it and, being wedged off centre, a 12 ton press struggled get it out.

That resulted in significantly more than 30minutes in labour.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 23:35   #162
flynnstarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Such a simple job you should be looking at about 30min labour.

Added:

Sort of bearing you're after - LINKY!
just my in put i have changed one of these hubs, just you standard sockets and a t50 or a t45 torx bit, you need to take the whole hub carrier off to make easy accesses to the torx heads also i had to use a propane burner to heat them up as no amount of px24 worked strate forward really took me about 3 an abit hours, also i dont know any garage that charges 30min labour usually all by the hour
flynnstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 23:51   #163
flynnstarr

Iv just noticed your wanting to change you hub because you can rock it back and fwd id say if the bearing was that far gone to notice movement by hand it would be making a fairly loud noise, my one was making a fair bit of noise but not to the point i could rock it! check around first like the rubbers. or if your convinced its the bearing a simple test i did was going round corners if the bering makes a louder noise when under load and less when the other side was under load then go for it
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 00:30   #164
Zeb246

Update:

My rear pads were shot, which was causing the noise and was able to rock the wheel backwards and forwards. Since I've changed them the noise has kind of gone, and the wheel doesn't rock.

Every now and then I do hear this squeaky noise, when I'm on low speeds. It sounds like the inner arch cover is touching against something. I'm thinking of taking it off, and see if the noise goes away for good.

Otherwise I'm back to square one!
Zeb246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 01:07   #165
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnstarr View Post
just my in put i have changed one of these hubs, just you standard sockets and a t50 or a t45 torx bit, you need to take the whole hub carrier off to make easy accesses to the torx heads also i had to use a propane burner to heat them up as no amount of px24 worked strate forward really took me about 3 an abit hours, also i dont know any garage that charges 30min labour usually all by the hour
Please take it in context.

That's a 30 min job in a garage with all the correct tools and press to push the hub out, not just some bloke with a few hand tools and a bit of lube.

Garages I go to and even Volvo have an 'hourly rate' but they don't charge by the complete hour if a job only takes 30min, they will charge appropriately?? Otherwise a simple bulb change taken all of 2 minutes would be costing people £70, £80, £100 depending on that garages 'hourly rate'???

I think you want to change your garage if your being charged a full hour for every part hour used?

Yes a wheel bearing can be a complete PITA but with the correct tools on hand as you'd expect any competent garage to have then it is a simple job and shouldn't take long.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 13:10   #166
flynnstarr

Talking

Quote:
Please take it in context.

That's a 30 min job in a garage with all the correct tools and press to push the hub out, not just some bloke with a few hand tools and a bit of lube.

Garages I go to and even Volvo have an 'hourly rate' but they don't charge by the complete hour if a job only takes 30min, they will charge appropriately?? Otherwise a simple bulb change taken all of 2 minutes would be costing people £70, £80, £100 depending on that garages 'hourly rate'???

I think you want to change your garage if your being charged a full hour for every part hour used?

Yes a wheel bearing can be a complete PITA but with the correct tools on hand as you'd expect any competent garage to have then it is a simple job and shouldn't take long.

Just to note you don't need a press to remove the rear hub it's held in with torx bolts, I was using an air gun an air ratchet to loosen it up but was so seized needed a bit of heat to help it on its way, as for garages don't us them no need to but if it comes to it a friend helps me out in extange of a bit of banter an a few beers
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 15:42   #167
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnstarr View Post
if it comes to it a friend helps me out in extange of a bit of banter an a few beers

Usually the best way too, want a job done properly then do it yourself?

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 16:03   #168
nbuuifx

I can't be bothered to read through the pages of this thread but remember it starting...

Did Zeb ever own it to it being his fault or was he still going with the fairy on a moped knocking his car and rubbing concrete around the wheels, before silently escaping - without leaving a trace?

If he has grown the balls to admit to his mistake - what was it? Patch of ice, trying to drift round a roundabout? Driving without due care and attention?
nbuuifx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 16:47   #169
FaKaWi
Master Member

Quote:
The likes of main dealers normally charge on either a 6 or 10 minute basis. On a fully broken down invoice they charge labour units, not hours. So, a job that takes 3 units is 18 or 30 minutes, depending which system they use. It's also how they calculate the costs for quotes, their system says how many time units a specific task should take, they just multiply that by their unit charge.

Be wary though, some Really Terrible garages have been known to charge you for each job, rather than combining them. For example, changing the cambelt & water pump on a T5, they charge you the units for a cambelt change, plus the units for the water pump change as a seperate task, rather than only charging for extra time required to do the pump at the same time as the cambelt.
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 17:02   #170
spanner110
Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuuifx View Post
I can't be bothered to read through the pages of this thread but remember it starting...

Did Zeb ever own it to it being his fault or was he still going with the fairy on a moped knocking his car and rubbing concrete around the wheels, before silently escaping - without leaving a trace?

If he has grown the balls to admit to his mistake - what was it? Patch of ice, trying to drift round a roundabout? Driving without due care and attention?
I think that's a moot point, no-one seems to care anymore; besides I feel the majority of posters (myself included) just want to help zeb get his motor mobile again, and the main man has, it would appear, received the full benefit of the learning curve. All in all, this has proved to be quite an interesting and amusing thread.