Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing Belt Renewal Interval. (6 years or 10 years)

Views : 5605

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 22:22   #1
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Timing Belt Renewal Interval. (6 years or 10 years)

V50. D5. 2007. 37,201 miles.

Today we had last service of a three year service plan from our main dealer in Newcastle. That was the 6 yearly service. The Volvo "Routine Service Checklist" (part number 97001455) provided by the main dealer indicates that the Timing Belt, Tensioner and Idler do not require replacement until 10 years (or 180,000 miles) That seems an awfully long service interval to me.
We had paid for the 3 yearly service in September 2010 with the mileage at 19,460 then signed up for the three year Service Plan to cover services for years 4, 5 and 6. The Volvo Service Handbook states that the 6 yearly service includes Timing and Auxiliary Belts change, which is one of the reasons we signed up to the plan as we expected the 6 yearly service to be rather more expensive than the previous two years.
I've checked the "Routine Service Checklists" from the previous services and they are all the same, i.e. 10 years (180,000 miles) I realise that I should have noticed this discrepancy after the first planned service but as I wasn't expecting the Timing Belt etc. to be renewed I'm sorry to say that I didn't check as thoroughly as I should have done.

I note from other threads on this forum that 10 years appears to be the norm. Which interval is correct?
Do we have any grounds for redress if the Timing Belt fails prior to the 10 year service interval?

In addition,
The Volvo Service Handbook states that the Brake Fluid should be changed every two years. The "Routine Service Checklist" issued by the dealer also states that this should be changed every two years. But it has not been changed. We queried this with the dealer who stated that it was not changed as we had not requested it. Surely, if an item is specified within the service one should not have to specifically request it?
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 22:32   #2
kenny
Master Member

I have a2008 V70 D5 and I knew it was 10 years but thought it was 108000 miles not 180000.

I first came accross a 10 year time limit on a timing belt when i bought my mum has a 2001 ford focus, it was 4 years old with 58000 miles on it, i was surprised to find out the timing belt on that was 100000 miles or 10 years.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 13:53   #3
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

who dares to leave a belt that long when the cost of repairs for a snapped one is so great ?
volvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 16:09   #4
Master Member

10 years is right and if you have had the car serviced by Volvo dealers you should have a claim if there is a problem

Having said that I would personally be inclined to change at 8 years for a low mileage car. But ensure you negotiate appropriate alterations to the charge

It's recommended that brake fluid is changed every 2 years and it always used to be the case that it was included in the two year service. However, Volvo changed this to be an option at the owners choice. Was this to show a lower 2 year price? I'll leave you to muse on that
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 16:10   #5
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
V50. D5. 2007. 37,201 miles.

Today we had last service of a three year service plan from our main dealer in Newcastle. That was the 6 yearly service. The Volvo "Routine Service Checklist" (part number 97001455) provided by the main dealer indicates that the Timing Belt, Tensioner and Idler do not require replacement until 10 years (or 180,000 miles) That seems an awfully long service interval to me.
We had paid for the 3 yearly service in September 2010 with the mileage at 19,460 then signed up for the three year Service Plan to cover services for years 4, 5 and 6. The Volvo Service Handbook states that the 6 yearly service includes Timing and Auxiliary Belts change, which is one of the reasons we signed up to the plan as we expected the 6 yearly service to be rather more expensive than the previous two years.
I've checked the "Routine Service Checklists" from the previous services and they are all the same, i.e. 10 years (180,000 miles) I realise that I should have noticed this discrepancy after the first planned service but as I wasn't expecting the Timing Belt etc. to be renewed I'm sorry to say that I didn't check as thoroughly as I should have done.

I note from other threads on this forum that 10 years appears to be the norm. Which interval is correct?
Do we have any grounds for redress if the Timing Belt fails prior to the 10 year service interval?

In addition,
The Volvo Service Handbook states that the Brake Fluid should be changed every two years. The "Routine Service Checklist" issued by the dealer also states that this should be changed every two years. But it has not been changed. We queried this with the dealer who stated that it was not changed as we had not requested it. Surely, if an item is specified within the service one should not have to specifically request it?
There are plenty reaching the 10 year change without issue, it is 10 years or the mileage as highlighted. If the timing belt fails clearly being an interference engine then it will cause damage, there will likely be re dress but no one will guarantee what Volvo would offer (more likely with a car with complete Volvo Service History) no doubt some good will gesture.

In relation to brake fluid change this is not part of the service plan and never has been. If you check the terms and conditions as well as any service checklist it is recommended to be changed at every two years, but at additional cost.

Quote:
7. What's included?
Labour and engine oil for all scheduled services is taken care of, along with a wide range of parts (if applicable) including; oil filter, diesel fuel filter and diesel particulate filter), pollen filter, air filter, spark plugs, washer fluid, cambelt, auxiliary belts, and tensioners. Therefore all items associated with the cost of a Volvo scheduled service including the cost of materials, cost of labour and VAT. Plus, only Volvo-trained Technicians will work on your vehicle and will only use Volvo approved lubricants and parts.

Please note you will have to pay for any additional maintenance costs, such as coolant and brake fluid changes and wear and tear items not covered by the offer. Please refer to the full terms and conditions.

8. What's not included?
Anything not included within the official Volvo scheduled servicing for your vehicle, for example, any extra maintenance work or adjustments. Volvo Service Plan does not cover the cost of coolant changes and brake fluid changes or replacing wear and tear items such as brake pads, discs, bulbs, wiper blades, and tyres

9. What does Wear and Tear mean?
It relates to items repaired or replaced which are not part of the Volvo service programme and includes such items as brake pads, brake discs, bulbs, wiper blades and tyres.
http://www.volvocars.com/uk/sales-se...Pages/FAQ.aspx
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 16:56   #6
Master Member

Brake fluid change

I know it's not included now, but, with respect, it was when I started owning Volvo cars

IMHO the idea that it is an owner's option is not the safest decision that Volvo, of all manufacturers, has made. Brake fluid absorbs water and should be changed regularly. 2 years, 3 years pushing it a bit

Optional extra is designed to produce a low maintenance figure in guides like What Car? Not a good idea
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 17:11   #7
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Many things are the owners option from whether he sticks to the speed limit or drives recklessly.

The same goes for servicing it is upto the owner whether he fits the top specification tyres or ditchfinders, brakes and any other wear and tear component. Same even for who carries out the servicing itself.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 19:01   #8
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I had the 6 year service recently done on my s60 and was told that the timing belt was part of the service and had this work completed. The car has done 41,000 miles. Think it's a good insurance against future failure.
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 20:05   #9
x DTR x
Premier Member

My 2005 2.0l D is going in on friday for a complete cambelt kit including water pump. Have got a new aux belt for them to put on while they are at it for good measure too! The car has just clocked up 142k so getting a bit anxious about getting it done.

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2013, 21:04   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x DTR x View Post
My 2005 2.0l D is going in on friday for a complete cambelt kit including water pump. Have got a new aux belt for them to put on while they are at it for good measure too! The car has just clocked up 142k so getting a bit anxious about getting it done.
well thats just about spot on volvos recommendation,
( 10 years or 150000 miles)aux belt is always done with the cambelt at a volvo dealer . :-)