Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

no power steering

Views : 631

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 14:52   #1
MIRJO
CUSTOM MEMBER

Default no power steering

hi everybody,

thi is the first time i ask for help, so before that i'd like to thank you for many goooood info about the car. I was visiting this forum for 2 months before i even bought volvo, which was 10 mth ago.

the car is 855tdi, 96. today i lost power steering completely during run. it happened after full accelerating several times to clean up the engine a little since i do a lot of town driving. i then continued to run it for a minute at 4000rpm and got of the motorway, when i noticed the problem. i stopped to see what happened with the engine still running but there was nothing obvious, checked fluid level, belt in order, no leaks... when i got home i checked again, all ok (fluid level not at the top, but still ok)

is it possible that somehow air got in the sistem at high engine speed, or the pump itself is goodbye?

couldn't find anything like this in the forum, so please help

regards
miro
MIRJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 17:20   #2
Georgey dee
Premier Member

This sounds to me like pump failure as you haven't disturbed the system so no air shouldn't get into the pipes. Is there any noises coming from the pump? When stationary, turn the steering wheel as quick as you can from side to side, listen out for the power steering pump winning. If it doesn't then I would suspect that. You say theres no leaks,,,, Is there any sign of oil (at all) around the rack or pipes? A split seal could allow air in but the leak may be too small to find on the floor yet. Have a really good look round the system. Start from the pump and work round to the rack then back to the pump looking for any signs of oil.

Let us know how you get on

Cheers
George
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 18:01   #3
MIRJO
CUSTOM MEMBER

thanks for the reply

i meant 'no leaks' at the pump area, there's a small leak on theRH side of the rack (greasy boot) since i own the car, the sistem needed topping up every 3-4 mths, so i thought it was not a big issue. also, problem must have occured while i was on the motorway with no sharp curves, joining it from the local road was OK. i also wanted to allow the engine to cool down and then check the fluid.

will let you know the news

bye
miro
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 20:27   #4
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Top the reservoir up and move the rack from full left to full right a few times then top up again. This should bleed out the air. If the steering improves then the leak you have will need to get fixed to stop air ingress.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 11:57   #5
MIRJO
CUSTOM MEMBER

heres an update to a steering pump failure,

fluid level OK hot/cold, no leaks found (well no new leaks), and no sound can be heard from the pump when the steering wheel is turned from side to side (not even when ear close to the pump), so it looks like its gone.

is it possible theres a blockage inside, or something with control valve stucked ?
some special tools are needed to dismantle it so whats the cure? new pump or...?

i saw couple of pumps for sale on the forum,very cheap, maybe its the best option (iif someone is ready to ship it to croatia)

regards
Miro
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:05   #6
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRJO View Post
heres an update to a steering pump failure,

fluid level OK hot/cold, no leaks found (well no new leaks), and no sound can be heard from the pump when the steering wheel is turned from side to side (not even when ear close to the pump), so it looks like its gone.

is it possible theres a blockage inside, or something with control valve stucked ?
some special tools are needed to dismantle it so whats the cure? new pump or...?

i saw couple of pumps for sale on the forum,very cheap, maybe its the best option (iif someone is ready to ship it to croatia)

regards
Miro
The pumps can be reconditioned, mine was done about 20,000 miles ago.

DDN
2005 V70 SE D5 Geartronic 205,000 miles 55
2011 V70 Lux D3 Geartronic 220,000 miles
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote