Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gen1 V70R vs Subarub Legacy Spec B

Views : 510

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 18:48   #1
INeedAVolvo

Default Gen1 V70R vs Subarub Legacy Spec B

Hi All,

I've been trawling around researching a practical, easy to maintain and inexpensive estate with a bit of poke/driveability. Something I can treat well and will serve for alot of miles. Mileage doesn't matter much to me if its well maintained.

I've come down to looking at the 2 options:

Gen1 V70R manual (awd/fwd depending)
3.0R Subaru Legacy Spec B (manual, apparently the 3.0l engine are solid, and don't have the troubles of the boosted 2.0/2.5)

My requirements:
  • Big/Practical
  • Reliable
  • Simple to maintain (less crappy intermittent electronics the better)
  • AWD maybe (as long as the system is ok - I've heard some of the early Volvo ones can be a pain)
  • Petrol
  • Manual
  • at least 200hp - good torque for towing is a plus
  • Not a rust bucket

The problem I've got now is these cars are fairly few and far between, so the 2-3 actually for sale are all 200+ miles away in Scotland or Wales!

Would there be anyone in the Cambridge/Biggleswade area (doesn't need to be that close) who owns one of the above be willing to let me have a look round one and have a quick ride along? Also any recommendations would be awesome

Thanks
INeedAVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 18:56   #2
INeedAVolvo

Oh and for anyone wondering, I didn't include Gen 2 V70R's as I don't want to deal with the 4C suspension inevitably going wrong, especially when the option of swapping to aftermarket coil overs is expensive/non existent - unless people tell me otherwise
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 15:01   #3
Cookeh
Premier Member

P80 Volvos and AWD does not go hand in hand. Most AWDs have been 'converted' to FWD at this point due to the common failures of the AWD system and their difficulty/expense in addressing. P80s can also suffer from electronic issues, especially in the ABS system. Were I to recommend a P80 it would be a MY97-98 version, as the 99-00 years are referred to as the "bastard years" for good reason. They also have ETMs which can and do regularly fail.

I would say that the Scoob is the better handling of the two, with more grip. The weight, despite having the disadvantage of AWD is comparable, and the Scoobs AWD is significantly better (and a truer version at that). It is, however, a pain in the arse to do maintenance on because of the flat-six with top mount. Scoobs also suffer quite the scene tax on parts, making them costlier to run.

Despite both being turbocharged wagons, I wouldn't say they're particularly comparable. If you want the better drivers car then it's going to be the scoob, if you want cheaper and easier to work on then it will be the V70. The V70s might be a bit more fun, as it doesnt have that endless grip so can feel a bit more hooligan-y.
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 15:23   #4
Welton
Premier Member

I wanted a Legacy Spec B after seeing the 5th Gear YouTube Video comparing against the V50 T5 estate - they didn't like the Volvo at all.

The Scoob will be a hoot to drive I think but maybe expensive to keep - I saw the VED rate for them and ran a mile
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 15:33   #5
INeedAVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
It is, however, a pain in the arse to do maintenance on because of the flat-six with top mount. Scoobs also suffer quite the scene tax on parts, making them costlier to run
Yeah I'd figured as much, 3.0L Flat 6 is pretty snug in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
I saw the VED rate for them and ran a mile
This made me cringe a bit, absolutely mad and probably why they are going cheap second hand

So sounds like V70R will be easier to maintain and therefore cheaper to run, but the Legacy will a better drive and bonus of decent AWD.

I suppose when the current banger dies i'll see whats on the market and let fate decide! Thanks
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 16:54   #6
Welton
Premier Member

I'm sure the Road Tax was £480 or something, I saw that and thought "no thanks".

I'd maybe have a go once they dip into 'banger' money but they'd be tired by then I guess.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 17:44   #7
Oak

I had an H6 on a 2005 plate. Lower tax as it was an earlier model. Compared with my V70 - it was a bloody fantastic car and to be quite honest I wish I still had it.

Engines are superb - so smooth and fast too. Economy was poor but for the performance/weight/AWD not that bad at all. Would see 32mpg to 34mpg when driven very carefully. Drive it "normally" and 20 to 28mpg - especially around town.

Great equipment - Very comfortable cruiser. No rust to speak of but parts sometimes could be a challenge. I needed a new calliper and at the time just couldn't be sourced. Had them rebuilt in the end but meant being off the road for a bit. Exhausts always go on the Y - German cheap replacements available from eBay though.

Great AWD system. I bought an E class diesel during the Legacy's ownership and the number of times I had to drag that bloody thing off damp/muddy ground....Subaru would drag ANYTHING from anything and not even break a sweat.

Great car - Sold it back to the same friend I bought it from and it's still on the road and hasn't let him down. In fact in 5 plus years it never let either of us down and it's still going strong!

Feel free to DM - Could harp on for days about the H6 Legacy - BRILL car.
Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 10:19   #8
INeedAVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
Feel free to DM - Could harp on for days about the H6 Legacy - BRILL car.
Thanks for the info - pinged a DM to you with some more
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 23:58   #9
HankScorpio
Floppy member

I have a P2 V70r... Still AWD, new suspension all round. Not far from Bury St Edmunds if you're ever this way and fancy a look. Might be for sale soon as there's things afoot with buying a house.... Just saying

Awesome car, I love it.

Scoobies are good, I like the interchangeability of them but was always under the impression the gearboxes had the structural rigidity of a cheese sandwich.
HankScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote