Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4 petrol engine: when to replace cambelt?

Views : 15602

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2014, 17:53   #1
Alecm

Default 2.4 petrol engine: when to replace cambelt?

Hi. I'm new to this forum, and I hope I'm posting in the right place.
Do I need to replace my cambelt yet? I have a 2001 V70, 2.4 petrol 170 bhp. I have owned it from new. The cambelt (kit) and water pump were replaced in Aug 2007 (6 yrs old) at mileage 78k.
Now the car has done 126k. So that's 7 yrs and 48k miles.
I'd prefer to leave it another year but obviously if there's any risk ...
I've been told by a non-Volvo dealer that it is not possible to inspect the cambelt to see if it needs changing. I appreciate that there are other components that also need to be replaced. I see in the service history no mention of an auxiliary belt being replaced.
Thanks for your advice.
Alec (Berkshire)
Alecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 18:14   #2
Lexington013

Hi Alec, I reckon your ok for another year 12,000 miles at least.
Mine is going in for its cambelt, tensioner and water pump on Thursday. It's 14 years old with a genuine 64000 miles. The only thing I can't find is if the belt had been done, I believe it has but am getting it done to be safe.
You pays your money you take your chance.
If you are concerned just get it done. For £200 it's not worth the worry......
Lexington013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 19:34   #3
Rawas
Master Member

I have to disagree here, I strongly suggest that the cam belt has to be changed
considering that period of time and that mileage.
Mine has around 90.000 km. The cam belt was changed 2 times since, at its regular service intervals.
Buy your piece of mind, it is not worth the risk.
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 19:54   #4
Alecm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawas View Post
... I strongly suggest that the cam belt has to be changed considering that period of time and that mileage.
Which makes you say it has to be changed: 7 years, or 48,000 miles since last cambelt change?

And what about auxiliary belt?
Thanks,
Alec
Old May 26th, 2014, 21:32   #5
capt jack
VOC Member

The interval is 8 years or 80,000 miles. It's never a bad idea to get it done a bit early, and with this engine it's not a huge undertaking. £250 and half a day should cover it.

If you're going to pay someone to take all the covers off and inspect the belt then you might as well get it changed while you're at it. The reason the garage won't inspect it is because they'd arguably be liable if they looked at it, pronounced OK, and then it failed soon after. How on earth could they look at it and tell you how much longer you could safely leave it?

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; May 26th, 2014 at 21:34.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 22:04   #6
Alecm

Thanks for replying. What else needs changing? Last time I was told the water pump needed changing so it was. And I've read here about an "auxiliary belt". Is that part of the standard kit or is it something else to be changed? Presumably changing the water pump adds about £100 to that repair cost.
Old May 26th, 2014, 22:46   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

Water pump needs changing if when inspected it's noisy or leaking etc. My V70 got to 300,000 miles and had had 5 cambelts, but was still on the original water pump. Our S70 is on it's third cambelt, but at 170,000 miles, still has the original water pump.

On some cars - anything with the GM 1.9TiD engine for example, so Vectras, Astras, Saab 93 and 95, Fiats, Alfas etc, the water pump is a known issue and should be changed every time, but as far as I'm aware this isn't the case with the Volvo.

The aux belt - in effect the fan belt you can actually see at the front end of the engine - has to come off anyway, and might as well be replaced.

It's possible that your car previously didn't need a water pump, but on the other hand arguably the garage was being prudent and careful.

Water pumps do fail and the results can be catastrophic, doing serious and even terminal damage.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 21:54   #8
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecm View Post
Hi. I'm new to this forum, and I hope I'm posting in the right place.
Do I need to replace my cambelt yet? I have a 2001 V70, 2.4 petrol 170 bhp. I have owned it from new. The cambelt (kit) and water pump were replaced in Aug 2007 (6 yrs old) at mileage 78k.
Now the car has done 126k. So that's 7 yrs and 48k miles.
I'd prefer to leave it another year but obviously if there's any risk ...
I've been told by a non-Volvo dealer that it is not possible to inspect the cambelt to see if it needs changing. I appreciate that there are other components that also need to be replaced. I see in the service history no mention of an auxiliary belt being replaced.
Thanks for your advice.
Alec (Berkshire)

I would guess you've used original Volvo parts for the first timing belt change.

At 7 years and 50k miles it is too early to replace it again. At this rate, you are driving less than 10k miles each year, the belt should be lasting for another 3 years. If the replaced water pump is also a original Volvo part, there is no need to replace it next time.

Timing belt wear also depends on driving style. For a car that has seen few accelerations (such as country side driving), the wear is less compared to a car that's been driven mostly in the city. An original Volvo timing belt should be still good after 10 years and less than 80k miles. If there's any doubt, it's easy to inspect the belt at a garage, in less than 20 minutes - contrary to what the Volvo mechanic said. Once the covers are off, the belt can be rotated to inspect all of its length and it will clearly show if there are significant cracks or not.

As for the auxiliary belt, it is important to replace it at this moment if it has never been replaced before, and inspect the auxiliary belt tensioner pulley. The mechanic should also inspect the A/C compressor and alternator pulleys as they are known to fail sometimes at higher miles.

Last edited by oragex; May 27th, 2014 at 21:59.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 11:54   #9
Alecm

Thank you, all of you, for your replies. Quite an assortment of advice, from change it now, quick to OK for another 3 years. Considering this divergence of views I phoned my (not-so) local Volvo main dealer and asked them. I was told that the 8 year 80K miles interval was quite conservative and so they advised that it's safe to leave it at least another year. But surprisingly they offered me an oil service at quite a reasonable price (same or less than my local non-franchised / mobile garages), and this includes the checks I would want done annually so it's booked in to have this done. They also said they would take a look at the cambelt and would advise me if they thought it did actually need changing. So all in all this seems a good proposition - unless they say "change cambelt now" when it actually doesn't need changing. I have to trust their honesty. I'll let you know how it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alecm For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 16:00   #10
Pipjc42

Good to read comments re cambelt changes. I have a 2.4 140BHP V70 2005, w2hich I bought as the 3rd owner in 2014 (61350 miles). The cambelt and Aux belt were changed at 22562 miles at its 6th year service. I average around 6500 miles per year and have now got to 80610 miles. My query is, when should I expect to change the cambelt again?
Pipjc42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cambelt, petrol, service schedule, v70 2001 engine