Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 engine failure

Views : 928

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2023, 13:23   #1
Advocas

Default D5 engine failure

Hi

A friend asked me to look at his 2010 XC90 D5 AWD 170000 miles. He was on the motorway cruising at 70mph, he described it lost power so he pulled onto the hard shoulder and called the AA they arrived said the head gasket had gone and relayed it to his house.

It still runs but the water comes out of the expansion bottle like a volcano with combustion gases and it's knocking, any ideas before I pull the head?

I think it's probably catastrophic so I will probably have to replace the engine but probably only need the bare engine as all ancillaries were good.

It looks like they have been making these engines since 2002 are there many variants? do I need a specific one? The sticker on the timing cover shows D5244T, Looking at second hand engines I've seen them quoting D5244Txx with a couple of extra numbers on the end, where can I find the additional numbers?

Thanks in advance

Jon
Advocas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2023, 13:29   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Most unusual but not unheard of.... usually easier to get a second hand engine rather than head off, you'll spend half the cost of the engine on gaskets etc.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2023, 13:55   #3
john langrick
Master Member

Hi

I had a similar experience and changed my engine. So long as the engine code it the same you should be ok.

I think my engine came out of a v70 diesel but code the same.

The replacement may well come without ancilliaries and even injectors (mine did). So make sure the vendor clearly states just what is included.

If you do change the lump, it is a great time to check vacuume mounts, and turbo. You will probably change cam and serpentine belt at the same time. Make sure also that the core plug is steel and replace if rubber. This might not be the case on your later model but a common failure on earlier models like mine!

I got my engine from 'Volvo sabb' breakers four years ago and it has been fine...

Hope this helps.

John l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2023, 14:45   #4
Advocas

Quote:
Originally Posted by john langrick View Post
Hi

I had a similar experience and changed my engine. So long as the engine code it the same you should be ok.

I think my engine came out of a v70 diesel but code the same.

The replacement may well come without ancilliaries and even injectors (mine did). So make sure the vendor clearly states just what is included.

If you do change the lump, it is a great time to check vacuume mounts, and turbo. You will probably change cam and serpentine belt at the same time. Make sure also that the core plug is steel and replace if rubber. This might not be the case on your later model but a common failure on earlier models like mine!

I got my engine from 'Volvo sabb' breakers four years ago and it has been fine...

Hope this helps.

John l
Hi John

When you say the same code do you mean just D5244T or with the additional numbers if so where can I find the additional numbers on the car?

Looking at this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_D5_engine

I would think I'm looking for a third gen D5244T10 but I don't know as it only has D5244T on the sticker.

Thanks
Old Sep 20th, 2023, 15:26   #5
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, really unsure. The options seemed far less for my earlier model. I would try for an engine from same year car such as

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394889078351

I think the one you list may be earlier generation.

Last edited by john langrick; Sep 20th, 2023 at 15:34.
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2023, 07:42   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by john langrick View Post
Hi, really unsure. The options seemed far less for my earlier model. I would try for an engine from same year car such as

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394889078351

I think the one you list may be earlier generation.
I’ve bought from MJM before (mostly Land Rover and Ford Ranger bits) and found them very good and honest.

I do think a whole engine is the way forward, the labour cost to strip and rebuild a head will be significant and all the new parts you need are always much more expensive than you might think.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2023, 13:33   #7
Advocas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I’ve bought from MJM before (mostly Land Rover and Ford Ranger bits) and found them very good and honest.

I do think a whole engine is the way forward, the labour cost to strip and rebuild a head will be significant and all the new parts you need are always much more expensive than you might think.
Yes I think a second-hand engine is the way to go. I'm just going to pull the head out of curiosity.
Old Sep 21st, 2023, 13:41   #8
Advocas

The owners manual confirmed the engine is a D5244T4

Other than the plate on the drivers B post showing 185ps I couldn't find anything on the car that refers to it being a T4.
Old Sep 21st, 2023, 17:05   #9
MikeGMT
VOC Member

I don't know if these are of any use but maybe of interest if only for the different engine designations available These are for XC60 but same engine across the different variants.

1.Specifications.pdf

2.volvo-motorer-.pdf
Old Sep 22nd, 2023, 20:01   #10
Danielpsmith
Master Member

I had an engine failure and the garage asked if I wanted it stripping down but declined and had a second hand engine fitted turned out it was the rockers and lifters failed I think the garage pulled the rocker cover out of curiosity.
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote