Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear lights mod and caravan brake lights

Views : 550

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2019, 17:29   #1
Ovlovppz

Default Rear lights mod and caravan brake lights

When I got the V70, I did the rear light mod. It works well.
I did a caravan light check today and all lights work bar the brake lights on the 'van. Basically, the 'van brake lights are always on with its rear lights. 🙄
If I disconnect the rear light mod on the car I then have rear lights on the 'van and brake lights as normal👍.
The car has the Volvo towing module which is faultless (without the mod).
Is there any way I can make the car not permanently illuminate the caravan brake lights and keep the mod which I like?
The only solution I can think of is to put a switch in to extinguish the boot lid rear lights when towing🤔🤔
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 17:53   #2
kenny
Master Member

The problem with some mods is they only trick the car into doing something. In this case it looks like the mod isn’t as smart as it needs to be. I haven’t done the mod but when I read one of the threads I understood that it tricks the break lights into thinking they are side lights until the brake are applied then they change to full brightness? If this is how the mod does work I think you would be better removing the mod when towing. It looks like you are getting a back feed which could cause a serious issue if not sorted probably. You don’t need to rip if all out each time you tow should be able to put a switch in somewhere to disconnect the mod.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 18:57   #3
Ovlovppz

Thanks Kenny. Back feed is definitely the issue. I have ordered a discreet switch to delete the mod when towing.
Thanks for replying and clarifying the issue 👍👍
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 17:47   #4
Ovlovppz

Switch installed and I can delete the mod/boot lid lights when towing 👍👍