Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ball Joints

Views : 755

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2019, 22:04   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster View Post
My balljoint popped out east too,
as the actress said to the bishop.

I wouldn't worry until you find they're stuck
Usually too late by then!

I broke 3 of the conventional scissor type ball joint separators before investing in the one i linked to above and even that struggled! Hell of a bang when it finally did separate and that was after driving around for a fortnight on the rough roads by me with the nut undone a couple of turns in the hope the vibration would loosen it no such luck though!

The beauty of the one i linked to is you can adjust it so the jaws are parallel before applying pressure with the screw that makes the jaws move. That means the pin is more likely to come out of the taper straight, rather than being pushed into the side with the conventional scissor type, which obviously puts more resistance on the pin.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 22:08   #12
dingov70
Master Member

[QUOTE=griston64;2503988]I've heard Lemforder are good and I believe they are the same manufacturer as TRW.

Lemforder are actually part of the ZF group of companies , so quality should be good . I have found in my day to day work that cheap ball joints do not last , great fun failing ( NOT ! ) MOT & explaining to poor customer that their cheap fix is getting costly because they are going to replace them this years as well
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 22:40   #13
Jebus
VOC Member

never had a problem on the front of a 940, ball joints came out easy, few good wacks with a hammer on what it goes through and a couple taps on top and they pop out, using impact tools helps i assume as well with all the vibrations

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 10:50   #14
James_EG_940
Felonious Fanatic

When I replaced my front end suspension about 18 months ago I used Lemforder ball joints and febi rods. I had some problems with availability of the specific rods I needed but thought it was best to go with well made parts that might last and not the cheapest option.

All front end bushes, track rods and ends, hubs/bearings, drop links, springs and shocks came to about £750 fitted by my trusted garage. Felt like a new car after having it all done...

Please PM if you know of any black 940s being broken! I'm really keen for a driver's door and both front wings! Paint code 19-23
James_EG_940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James_EG_940 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 19:32   #15
griston64
Premier Member

Default Got the little blighter off !!

After a bit of a struggle I managed to get the ball joint out of the control arm

Normal spanner wouldn't undo the nut so I ended up sawing off the end that the split pin goes through and that enabled me to get an 18mm socket on with my extra long breaker bar

IMG_3023.jpg
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 23:14   #16
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

I used my manly strength to tighten the nut until it sheared off ... same result.
Because I was upside-down I thought I was undoing it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 08:48   #17
mjk164
VOC Member

Default Ball joint separator

If you are in the market for a ball joint tool, then be patient and keep looking on eBay for a 2nd hand Churchill scissor type splitter; there is one on there now and the link below will take you there.
I bought mine in the 1960's before Churchills closed (about 1973) but they can still be found. They will never break and I have never had a joint that has not been sorted using mine, but even 2nd hand, they will not be cheap because they are indestructible and simply the best.
Garth.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEERING-...oAAOSwDMZbUko4
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 10:11   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk164 View Post
If you are in the market for a ball joint tool, then be patient and keep looking on eBay for a 2nd hand Churchill scissor type splitter; there is one on there now and the link below will take you there.
I bought mine in the 1960's before Churchills closed (about 1973) but they can still be found. They will never break and I have never had a joint that has not been sorted using mine, but even 2nd hand, they will not be cheap because they are indestructible and simply the best.
Garth.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEERING-...oAAOSwDMZbUko4
A very good point Garth, i've recently bought a Woden vice for similar reasons.

The one question i have is does the Churchill splitter open wide enough to attack the ball joints on the Volvo?

I can't remember the exact amount but most "normal" scissor type splitters won't go near it or at least wouldn't on mine due to long taper pins, even cutting the end of the taper pin off didn't allow a normal one to fit.
Hence buying the one i linked to on Pg1 of this thread (think it was Pg1) and having found it's a good quality item (rare these days!) had no hesitation recommending it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 11:44   #19
mjk164
VOC Member

Hi Dave, I've not had any problems on my 1993 960 or on my sons V40....and historically none on my 1964 Healey 3000 (which I've had from new), Land Rover Series 1, 2 or 3 and many others. Sometimes you have to open the jaws right up and wiggle it on but its not been defeated yet! Maybe Churchills thought it through in the beginning and sometimes, just a few thou is all that's need for a go-fit or a no-go.
Cheers
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 11:51   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk164 View Post
Hi Dave, I've not had any problems on my 1993 960 or on my sons V40....and historically none on my 1964 Healey 3000 (which I've had from new), Land Rover Series 1, 2 or 3 and many others. Sometimes you have to open the jaws right up and wiggle it on but its not been defeated yet! Maybe Churchills thought it through in the beginning and sometimes, just a few thou is all that's need for a go-fit or a no-go.
Cheers
Seems they did think it through then Garth! Or more to the point, the newer copies haven't thought it through!