Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is premium petrol worth the extra cost?

Views : 730

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2019, 00:02   #1
Laustar

Default Is premium petrol worth the extra cost?

Hi all,

Just bought a new volvo v60 T5. I have never drvien a petrol car before and I wonder if it's worth to use premium petrol (v power, BP ultimate etc) instead of regular unlead?
Laustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 00:13   #2
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

They feel a little bit more responsive once your running on a pure tank of the stuff but bare in mind the ECU has to adjust to it so dont expect to see a difference until (realistically) the day after.

To be honest, my own car runs on normal tesco unleaded, so it's a treat when it gets even regular shell fuel (engine seems to runs better on this vs other normal unleaded), let alone the V Power stuff.

Is it worth it? probably not.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 07:50   #3
green van man
Premier Member

I have a diesel and while I run it on branded fuel not supermarket I have not found the premium fuels worth the 8p per litre extra cost.

If useing them for their supposedly superior cleaning properties just dose the tank with Lucus fuel treatment occasionally. The claimed extra mpg certainly is not cost effective, an extra 20 miles per tank when it's cost me an extra £8 to achieve it.

I think you are better off changing your oil more often than useing premium fuels.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 09:09   #4
domhart10
Volvo S40

My S40 T5 used to run the budget when I initially got it but I only put premium in now and yes it made a difference and will only top up with that now.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 09:35   #5
37 RUBY
Master Member

For me, premium fuel offers a different benefit than better mpg.

It's the longevity of components on a diesel such as EGR valve, throttle body, injectors and so on.

On what do I base this on you ask?...well when I bought my XC70 I took the opportunity to clean the EGR and the associated components. Well caked up it was at only 38k miles.

Since cleaning it has only been run on premium, predominantly Shell V power.

At 58k miles there was a dusting of soot on the EGR and throttle body and virtually nothing in the intake to turbo pipes.

So for me the penny pinching at one end doesn't equate to massive savings if components wear quicker as a result.

I also have a loyalty card for Shell and a discount card for Esso. I get a voucher every quarter from Shell for fuel and money off at the pump for Esso.

Each to his own though.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 14:14   #6
Peter86
Pete

If you have a Costco card fuel its really cheap there. If you don't have one, and there's one local to you, it maybe worth joining up if you can.
Regular petrol is really cheap, premium petrol is about supermarket prices or a penny or two above and they only sell premium diesel which I use and that's about 8 pence cheaper than my local texaco standard diesel.

Some people say there cars run better on premium, I personally can't notice a difference, maybe the engine is a bit quieter but I use it in the hope the engine parts last longer.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter86 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 16:37   #7
Laustar

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
They feel a little bit more responsive once your running on a pure tank of the stuff but bare in mind the ECU has to adjust to it so dont expect to see a difference until (realistically) the day after.

To be honest, my own car runs on normal tesco unleaded, so it's a treat when it gets even regular shell fuel (engine seems to runs better on this vs other normal unleaded), let alone the V Power stuff.

Is it worth it? probably not.
Thanks for the reply Paul.

I thought all unleaded are pretty much the same? Myself have been using Sainsbury's and BP pretty much all the time due to them being the closest to where I live. Maybe it's a diesel car so I don't feel any different between the 2 of them.

The Sainsbury's super unleaded is the cheapest premium petrol around my area so I might give it a go next time.

Thanks,
L
Laustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 23:13   #8
DSK
C70 T5

All the cars I have run on Shell Vpower (even doing 40,000 odd miles p/year) in the T5. The cars sounds and feels better for it. MPG like for like is marginally better but not enough to offset the cost.

I have done back to tests in the Astra CDTI and Merc E350 diesels when I had them and they easily got 5-7mpg better consumption in back to back tests. However as these two were on lease I only put in Vpower diesel once a month and then ran them on normal shell fuel for the other 3 weeks of the month. My CLS 320cdi (owned) only gets Vpower diesel.

BP Ultimate is useless and feels like normal 95ron so don't bother with that. But Shell Vpower and Tesco's options are 98/99ron and you should notice the difference.

Is it worth the cost? Each to their own.... If its a vehicle you wish to keep for a long time, then perhaps yes. If its a beater you change every 1-5 years then perhaps not.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 19:21   #9
Robbie34

I use Shell V Power diesel for my new V60 and also for my previous Honda 2.2 i-DTEC. Never had a problem with my Honda and fuel consumption was excellent.
Honest John recommends using the premium fuels as they keep the engine clean and offer smoother running.
Robbie34 is offline   Reply With Quote