Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen: Water ingress on x70/80 P3 models 2007 on

Views : 279980

Replies : 109

Users Viewing This Thread : cordster

Old Feb 19th, 2018, 12:42   #31
mr tickle

Thanks to this Thread, My local Volvo Dealer has removed and re-bonded my leaking original Volvo windscreen FOC on my 2010 V70.

It did take a number of calls between myself, Volvo head office and my local dealer who needed educating on this FOC repair that is still offered.

Job done successfully and a MASSIVE thank you to this forum
mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mr tickle For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 19:58   #32
jimmyocharlie

Thanks to this thread I may be getting the screen resealed and the the totally failed heating/aircon electrics sorted!!!

Had a load of water come through and drench the heater control panel. Lost the heated and vented seats, all heating etc. Its been checked today and the dealer thinks its a factory fit screen.

Thanks to the advise here, I rang and emailed Volvo. I just have to see what happens next, the dealer says it could be a couple of days to sort the electrics..

Its a 2009 car.

Jim
jimmyocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 18:08   #33
jimmyocharlie

Just got the car back, Volvo came good! Lent me a new V90 for two weeks, while it was being fixed.

Windscreen rebonded and new aircon ECU and panel, all done for free.

Very happy man.

Thank you Volvo
Old May 16th, 2018, 23:14   #34
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyocharlie View Post
Just got the car back, Volvo came good! Lent me a new V90 for two weeks, while it was being fixed.

Windscreen rebonded and new aircon ECU and panel, all done for free.

Very happy man.

Thank you Volvo
Wow, they did that on a 9 year old car ? Had you been taking it there for it's annual service each year ? They must like you.
Old May 18th, 2018, 20:45   #35
jimmyocharlie

It was bought from Volvo 4 years ago, not been back to Volvo since then, all servicing has been done at my local independent garage. All Volvo cared about, was that it was the original screen.

The service manager said that Volvo have done free work on older cars!

The post I read from "Backpedal" has literally saved me thousands!

I miss the luxury of the V90, buts its great having the V70 back!
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 09:47   #36
SamF

THANK YOU!

2011 V70 SE, had it for a couple of years and didn't really know about this issue but had noticed water runs internally, just put it down to condensation forming etc, then noticed staining on the roof lining in the front corners. Quick internet search and came across this thread, went out side pushed the top of the windscreen from the inside and it moved about 10mm!

Never noticed this before, sent Volvo Client Services and they replied within a couple of hours asking for VRM, local dealer I would like it to go to. Gave then the details and the next morning had a call from the dealer asking when I would like to bring it in to have the screen re-bonded FOC. They explained they get a third party in to do it, there is a chance the screen may break, but out of all the ones they have done previously, they have only had one break.

Took it in, re-bonded screen, zero stress, they even hardwired my dash cam for me which was on a trailing lead.

Result of the superb customer service from Volvo and the dealership (Coventry Volvo on London Road, and specifically James Giddings in the service dept) my car has already been back for a service and disks/pads and updates, which I would never had done at the dealership I used to go to!

End to end, fantastic service!
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 16:21   #37
Winsford79

Thank you all for the info in this thread.

I bought a 2011 V70 D5 SE R-Design auto that has done 86k just over a week ago and noticed when i got into the car during a heavy rain storm yesterday, a trail of water running down the inside from the top right corner of the screen- car was parked nose down on a hill. I had noticed some dried up drops on the inside of the screen when i picked the car up but put it down to the car having been cleaned for sale.

Having found and read this thread last night i checked the screen in the light this morning to see if there were any movement when pushed and found it moves 10mm or so when pushed. Its also the original screen.

A quick call to Volvo Customer Relations this morning and they confirmed it is a known issue on some cars and would require investigating at a main dealer to confirm if it was a manufacturing defect (they said 9 times out of 10 it is).

A couple of hours later Rybrook Volvo (Chester) rang to book the car in- its going in next Thursday to be investigated and depending on the outcome will be booked in for the screen to be re-installed as a good will gesture.

Very happy with the customer service so far, fingers crossed the investigation confirms a manufacturing defect as suspected.
Winsford79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 10:09   #38
Molly Barlow

Default V70 Windscreen Leak

Have only just joined just to post re my experience with leak in my 2012 V70 . Had problem for months with rain coming in and soaking seats and later getting inside bulkhead light/rear view. Surprised to find that it's a common prob with Volvo screen bonding and has been reported for years with Volvo usually refusing repair.
Took to Volvo dealer who said they'd inspect and ask Volvo if they'd repair....but didn't think they would.Yep, reply came back that Volvo refused ! After reading that a few owners had managed recently to get repair done I wrote complaint to their Customer Services. Highlighted safety issue as well as screen seemed loose at top.... Strangely Volvo asked Dealership (Marshalls) why repair had been refused.... Later get call from Marshalls to say Volvo now agree !
Repair now done and am awaiting rain to see if OK. Contractors brought in for repair told me that was clear that not bonded along top and they had done lots of Volvo screens.
If you have this defect I hope this helps you .....
Molly Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 21:15   #39
HiFlyer437

Thanks to the OP, had the screen re-bonded on my 2009 V70 today. No quibbling from the dealer when I booked it in, but they were quite off-hand with me today. No chance of a courtesy car - but did run to a free bus ticket into town - and not so much as a once-over with a soapy sponge. Reading some of the posts above, I probably should’ve asked for a mini-valet to sort out the dodgy looking water-stained drivers seat! Nonetheless, hopefully that’s the end of the water feature every time it rains!
HiFlyer437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 07:57   #40
Winsford79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsford79 View Post
Thank you all for the info in this thread.

I bought a 2011 V70 D5 SE R-Design auto that has done 86k just over a week ago and noticed when i got into the car during a heavy rain storm yesterday, a trail of water running down the inside from the top right corner of the screen- car was parked nose down on a hill. I had noticed some dried up drops on the inside of the screen when i picked the car up but put it down to the car having been cleaned for sale.

Having found and read this thread last night i checked the screen in the light this morning to see if there were any movement when pushed and found it moves 10mm or so when pushed. Its also the original screen.

A quick call to Volvo Customer Relations this morning and they confirmed it is a known issue on some cars and would require investigating at a main dealer to confirm if it was a manufacturing defect (they said 9 times out of 10 it is).

A couple of hours later Rybrook Volvo (Chester) rang to book the car in- its going in next Thursday to be investigated and depending on the outcome will be booked in for the screen to be re-installed as a good will gesture.

Very happy with the customer service so far, fingers crossed the investigation confirms a manufacturing defect as suspected.
Quick update on my experience with the screen issue on my 2011 D5 R-design. Rybrook Volvo (Chester) investigated the issue and confirmed it appeared to be a manufacturing defect and that they were passing it back to Volvo UK to approve the repair. Repair approved and car was booked in- was advised they would need the car overnight and so arranged a courtesy car. Dropped the car off, screen rebonded the following day, no issues. Been just over a week since the repair and having had a few heavy rain showers there is no sign of a leak anymore. Very happy all round.
Winsford79 is offline   Reply With Quote