Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 (64 plate) Engine cracked

Views : 20039

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 15:53   #11
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrank View Post
Hi,

I've had a V40 D2 for 3 years now (bought new) and for the most part have been pleased with it.

I had a couple of issues which unfortunately the dealership hasn't been really helpful with (The front disc brakes sheared in half after 2 years and the passenger door has never closed properly - it stands off the bodywork by about 5mm) but I have soldiered on with it and paid for the brakes myself; ignored the door as I will be handing it back after it had run its finance length.

Now to the big problem. The car started reporting low coolant about a month or 2 ago (after the last service as it happens) which I investigated (coolant level looked normal once cooled). The alert came and went quite a lot so I rang the dealership about it - they said Volvo sensors are quite 'twitchy' and 'cautious' and can sometimes go off even when cornering the car. Basically I was told to ignore it unless it stays on (it didn't).

Last week my engine reported a high temperature alert. It said to lower my speed, which I did. I pulled over just to be safe (as I was only a few miles from home), I let it cool and carried on - the warning was gone and I got home fine. The next day I rang the dealer. They said bring it in for a look. I said I wasn't comfortable driving it with a temp issue. They suggested I call out Volvo Assist, so I did.

An engineer turned up and plugged the car into the computer. He said that he could see an anomaly in the pressure of the engine and that to him it looked like the engine was critically damaged but that it might possibly be an air block or something simple. He took it to the dealership.

They dealership phoned me and told me the worst news possible when it comes to car ownership, the engine was broken - it had a crack in the engine block (I'm not very savvy with cars parts, so sorry if I explain this incorrectly). The car would need a completely new engine.

Although I had reported the fault to the dealership and VolvoUK (when the dealership was closed) a good month ago and well within my warranty, this was now 6 days after the warranty had expired (3 years old). The dealership contacted VolvoUK for us and they've offered to meet us half way and pay 50% of the cost (total of about £6000 - so £3000).

I feel a little let down by the Dealership and Volvo as I immediately reported the fault as described by the car inside the warranty and now they seem to not want to honour it.

I've tried to talk to VolvoUK directly but it's proving difficult.

I've been told to use the Sales of Good act which states a 6 year "fit for purpose" and to go through small claims court. I really don't want to do this but I REALLY can't afford the repair.

This isn't just a moan here are my questions I could use help with:

1. Is this unusual or have these little diesel engines got previous with this sort of problem?

2. Has anyone been through a similar scenario and can offer any advice?

I'm not particularly sure how to proceed now - the dealership have almost washed their hands of it and said to deal with VolvoUK directly. This is quite difficult to do. I'm not confident about going to SCC but I will have to if there is no resolution as I just cant pay for the car to be fixed.

Right now the car is sat in the dealership and if I don't agree to pay - they will not be giving me a car so I can get to work and will probably want me to arrange it to be picked up?

Thanks in advance for any help - sorry if this is in the wrong place or isn't part of what the forum is about.

regards,

Jason.
How many miles had you done, out of interest?
Volvo V40 T4 Polestar Cross Country Lux Nav Auto | Volvo 19" alecto alloys | full leather | Volvo styling kit | Power seats | Xenium pack | Harman Kardon premium sound system | active bending headlights | Winter pack | Ice white
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 17:31   #12
jfrank

They sourced a new engine within the UK so a week or so. Gave me a V40 to be going on with
jfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 17:36   #13
jfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
How many miles had you done, out of interest?
Off the top of my head it had done about 45k? I got 18k per year with the finance and I was only saying to my wife the other day she might want to start using it to get the miles up
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 17:38   #14
jfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
Jason,

That's good news; I'm glad Volvo has decided to do the right thing here.

Hope it's not too long before your V40 is back on the road.

Make sure the dealer provides you with a decent courtesy car whilst yours is being repaired!

They sourced a new engine within the UK so a week or so. Gave me a V40 to be going on with
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 13:54   #15
volvo for ever
Premier Member

ref brake disc this has come up before so in my mind its a volvo faults and they should pay not you

next your engine off coarse volvo should pay for engine 45 k miles and engine is cracked ,this is know problem esp on new style engines so thats why there paying up.

clutches they also have major problem with them cover plates collapsing ask ROOSTER ,they are using cheap parts thats why they are collapsing also cheap terminals thats why they loose can high signal

good luck..
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 17:25   #16
jfrank

Thanks for the info - I've left the discs with the Dealership to have a look at and speak to VolvoUk about - he said he didn't think it would fit the warranty as it's brake related but I would argue that. Citizens Advice have recommended I send them to Trading Standards as they raise concerns about safety - I'll report on what happens.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 11:21   #17
jfrank

Another interesting point to make is that VolvoUK said that because I am not 'contributing' to the cost I will have zero warranty on the new engine. Sounds wrong to me but maybe there would still be an element of 'goodwill' if something did go wrong.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 11:31   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrank View Post
Another interesting point to make is that VolvoUK said that because I am not 'contributing' to the cost I will have zero warranty on the new engine. Sounds wrong to me but maybe there would still be an element of 'goodwill' if something did go wrong.
That is normal industry practice , for example if you had the problem with a week to run on the warranty , the repair would be covered by the remaining warranty in that case only the remaining week ... I would imagine you would have the usual 12 month labour warranty from the garage which did the work but it would not cover parts .
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 12:02   #19
jfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
That is normal industry practice , for example if you had the problem with a week to run on the warranty , the repair would be covered by the remaining warranty in that case only the remaining week ... I would imagine you would have the usual 12 month labour warranty from the garage which did the work but it would not cover parts .
Ah! Makes sense and the labour warranty is useful. That explains it much better than they did cheers.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 12:07   #20
jfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I wonder if making a minimal contribution would enable a warranty for the new part. Making a £100.00 voluntary payment would be well worth it to secure a years warranty. Below is an excerpt from an email I received from VolvoUK Customer Relations:

Quote:
"Unfortunately if there is no contribution from yourself towards the replacement engine, then there is no warranty applied. This being said however, in the unfortunate event, there is a fault with the engine, as per any other component on the vehicle. Now that the manufacturer’s warranty has expired any financial assistance is deemed as goodwill and is reviewed on a case by case basis."
Would be interesting to know if making a small donation would validate the warranty.