Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 GL Estate 1987

Views : 2811

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2018, 12:04   #11
4x4
I roll

Well known tactic of auction houses to put a teaser of a come and buy me lowball price to entice you into bidding up
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2018, 12:56   #12
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 View Post
Well known tactic of auction houses to put a teaser of a come and buy me lowball price to entice you into bidding up
Yes, agree. Low estimate to get you interested in the first place, then they hope a bad case of auction fever sets in and before you know it the winning bidder is left thinking - have I just bid £10,000 for that.

Hope the sale goes well as the car and owner deserves a good new home and a good price.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2018, 19:31   #13
pbeardmore

£7650.00 + buyers premium
pbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2018, 17:45   #14
Revvolvo

Default Sold

Looks like a good auction sale.
It went for over £7k

Amazing!
Revvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Revvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2018, 20:28   #15
Reg E

Forgive me for my absence after the sale but I felt I had to wait until the dust had settled before my post.

I have seen the "motoring press" today and I know they have put the final sale price down to "bidding war" which I would go along with but not entirely.

My in-laws, who purchased it new from the dealership absolutely treasured it. It was their "retirement car" that they treated themselves to every and I mean every weekend, it was pulled out of the garage and what is now called detailing would take hours. It had a huge box of washes, waxes, cleaners etc and only the best towels were used to dry and polish. (Microfibre cloths were still the figment of imagination on a foreign countries drawing board).

The service history was unfailing and it was collected, serviced, delivered back in pristine condition or my Father-in-Law would have taken them to task big time.

When it was passed to me, the car in the garage it shared was my 388ci hot rod with an 11 second ET which I had campaigned for 10 years, so you could say I only took the 240 on as a labour of love as it was really not my cuppa tea.

It grew on me, never let me down and the longer I had it the more I realised how much it meant to my family and I then became the one who spent hours every week detailing it as I was determined to keep it as good as I could.

Things change and it seemed the right time for it to go to a home that, I hope, will use it and love it for many years and I sincerely hope the new owner will enjoy using it.

The amount it raised is still a bit breathtaking and actually academic (but not because I have too much money) so finally I would like to say thank you for the forum for the many years of interest and discussion.

Last edited by Reg E; May 9th, 2018 at 20:33.
Reg E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reg E For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2018, 20:48   #16
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg E View Post
Forgive me for my absence after the sale but I felt I had to wait until the dust had settled before my post.

The amount it raised is still a bit breathtaking and actually academic (but not because I have too much money) so finally I would like to say thank you for the forum for the many years of interest and discussion.
Congratulations, that is a brilliant result. It does beg the question, however, how could the auction house have got the estimate so wrong? Its almost as if they misplaced the decimal point!

Regards, John.
Old May 10th, 2018, 12:48   #17
pbeardmore

Great result but the danger is that every seller on Ebay etc will hear about this and think that their car is worth an extra couple of thousand.

My guess was around £4000 - £4,500
pbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 22:01   #18
Reg E

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Congratulations, that is a brilliant result. It does beg the question, however, how could the auction house have got the estimate so wrong? Its almost as if they misplaced the decimal point!

Regards, John.
Hi John, I instructed the auction house to put it in as a no reserve but was advised that a low reserve would generate interest and I was happy to let the experts take control.

I did look at placing it with another well known classic auction house but it was a considerable distance from me so it would have accrued either expensive transport or an overnight stay plus fuel and return train, ferry etc.

Their valuation was higher but the reserve was around the same 1k mark....
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 18:09   #19
Reg E

A bit of a resurrected post, but does anyone have any idea what happened to the 240 after the sale?

Not really after specifics just it seems odd that the Tax, MOT & insurance all ran out and didn't get renewed. (October 2018)

Did it go abroad? or maybe it will surface as a fully modified drift car LOL. (I really hope it didn't get written off for some reason)

I told the family that it would probably come to light in due course and I would let them know, but it is a bit of a mystery....
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 10:00   #20
rtbcomp

It's probably been mothballed as an investment.
rtbcomp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e622abh