Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc60 my19 - last started the car 4 months ago

Views : 3514

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2019, 11:03   #11
SussexFactor

Thumbs up

I guess the future lesson to be learnt by this is if you have a power source in your garage is to buy a battery trickle charger, as to be honest any battery Motorcycle or Car will have an alarm system fitted (with respect to previously mentioned comment) and subsequently will drain the battery as you would expect beyond three weeks, alternatively ask a friend to give it a run every couple of weeks to naturally charge up. They may even be an aftermarket battery pack that could work in parallel to help sustain the charge, some I have seen literally plug into the 12volt sockets Lithium based and pocket size and just maybe with some research give a future solution in power loss, when left for so long just saying
SussexFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SussexFactor For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 11:03   #12
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
Just bern away for 6 weeks with car left out in the drive. Started first time.
..... and so it should.
It's quite different from the OP's 4 months which won't have a similar result.
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 12:03   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

He may be surprised - the Volvo guidance on storing new cars is that "battery maintenance" is required every 3 months. Now I read this a good few years ago so I'm not sure if it still applies to the modern cars with more complex electrics, but he won't know until he tries...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 12:06   #14
Crockers
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
..... and so it should.
It's quite different from the OP's 4 months which won't have a similar result.
True. But his in a warm garage whereas mine was out in the cold and snow. I was worried as it went offline.
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 12:07   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith16 View Post
It will be four months in April since I last started my car as I am away abroad. The car is showing in ‘offline’ mode to ‘save battery’. Would the car start if I manually start the car upon my return. I am concerned because it is parked in a very tight garage with absolutely no room whatsoever to jump start the car. Thanks in advance, as always, for any information.

When new cars are in store volvo say the battery must be charged every 3 months and it has to be documented in order to keep the cars battery warranty . Also if one of these modern batteries is left flat for even a couple of days it is in effect ruined and will never fully recover . So I think you should assume when you get back worst case is you will need a new Volvo battery . best case ? jump in start and drive away ..
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 12:28   #16
Bernard F

If the car had plenty of use prior to leaving and probably fully charged I am betting it will start. Cannot wait to hear the result on your return.
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 12:55   #17
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
True. But his in a warm garage whereas mine was out in the cold and snow. I was worried as it went offline.
On a well maintained car, 6 weeks wouldn't be an issue at any temperature in Britain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
If the car had plenty of use prior to leaving and probably fully charged I am betting it will start.
Standby drain and time left versus battery capacity mean that mathematics say it won't start.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 13:32   #18
MOzS90

4 months?? Out of Area???

When I was away I got the missus to use my car for a decent run. In a similar time period she used it twice and it was fine o when i got home.

Get back and put the battery on charge - simple.

Or just try and start it. You might be surprised.
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 13:40   #19
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
He may be surprised - the Volvo guidance on storing new cars is that "battery maintenance" is required every 3 months. Now I read this a good few years ago so I'm not sure if it still applies to the modern cars with more complex electrics, but he won't know until he tries...
Yes but do not forget that when new cars are in storage, they are put into storage mode (also called shipping mode), which turns off many devices that are normally active: like alarms, boot sensor circuits, oncall systems, remote unlocking receivers etc.

Almost every car manufacturer has a shipping mode on modern cars, used to ensure that the new batteries do not drain too much through a vehicle sitting in a yard or warehouse for months and months and months....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2019, 13:46   #20
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
when new cars are in storage, they are put into storage mode (also called shipping mode)
Vida allows my 2002 to be put back into transit mode so could be worth checking if yours can do the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post: