Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cheating the "hands on wheel sensor"?

Views : 2724

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2019, 13:50   #11
Haldex
Premier Member

Not sure how law addresses the (semi..)autonomous driving systems, hand(s) on wheel etc.. I certainly expect the legislation to change, with the advancement of driving assistance systems..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 16:43   #12
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
From a fellow XC60 owner on swedespeed:

https://youtu.be/MYGQU6RuiUM

Apparently, only Florida oranges work..
Americans...
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 19:00   #13
enrm6

Quote:
Not sure how law addresses the (semi..)autonomous driving systems, hand(s) on wheel etc.. I certainly expect the legislation to change, with the advancement of driving assistance systems..
I think the simple answer is it doesn’t. The whole automation thing is ahead of the law and the technology push is causing everything else to try and catch up. The SAE have developed definitions for the levels of automation and the NHTSA (both US organisations) have developed a set of guidelines for manufacturers to adhere to. But nothing is mandatory as far as I am aware.

This is now a year old but provides some background.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/12/02...-implications/

This is interesting closer to home, but interestingly they highlight it doesn’t cover level 3. This goes to show that at the moment the law doesn’t know how to handle increasing levels of automation. The human factors issue of level 3 are enormous, expecting someone to take over, in an emergency situation after they’ve spent the last hour reading their emails and paying no attention to the driving situation, is a big unresolved issue.

https://www.herbertsmithfreehills.co...c-vehicles-act
enrm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enrm6 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 19:53   #14
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOzS90 View Post
Utter rubbish.

Anyone who does this and doesn’t pay the road the attention it needs is asking for trouble. Pay the road the attention required and relaxing on the steering wheel at times with PA engaged makes dual carriageway and motorway driving much more relaxing.
How is this rubbish exactly?

Have you read the Swedespeed articles on this, lots of people have tried to ‘hack’ this with weights, but eventually the car thinks this is normal and you have to weight it the other way.
I havent claimed to test it myself and if you did and were spotted you can look forward at best to 6 points, but as its newsworthy, probably a day hanging about a court while a member of the judiciary makes a name for himself.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 09:53   #15
Haldex
Premier Member

@enrm6: quite an interesting reading, and quite an interesting subject really. Not so much worried about the legal aspect of it personally as much as I am worried about my own safety..

And what you said about L3 autonomous driving for me applies to L2 as well.. Resting one's arm (or an orange.. ) on a steering wheel does not make one more alert/aware of the traffic around him..

Scary stuff.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 18:19   #16
ergonomist

Quote:
And what you said about L3 autonomous driving for me applies to L2 as well.. Resting one's arm (or an orange.. ) on a steering wheel does not make one more alert/aware of the traffic around him..

Scary stuff.
Scary stuff indeed. There's been some interesting work on 'platooning' which is an extreme form of autonomous driving where HGVs can link with each other wirelessly such that the front one is driven actively and following vehicles are commanded by the front one - it allows them to drive just a foot or two from each other as each vehicle will brake at exactly the same time etc. Drivers are present in each of the following vehicles to monitor the system etc. Apparently the stress on the trailing drivers is enormous (fortunately I can't see the system working for many other reasons). But as you say - the potential to lose situational awareness when using autonomous systems is huge. I'd quite like cars in L3 state to show some sort of indication that their drivers' are 'switched off' (hazard lights slow-flashing, perhaps?).
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 04:10   #17
Kranvagn

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
What an effing pr*ck, overriding safety systems, using the function not as designed while filming a youtube video.
Hello my friends from across the pond! Said Effing American Pr*ck here.

Since the 2nd half of that just 4 minute and 10 second video talked about how dangerous this is because of the clear inadequacies of modern auto pilot systems, and therefore how Volvo (and Tesla and the like) should really get their $hit together and make the attention detection systems harder to defeat, I'm surmising you didn't spend more than about 100 seconds pondering all this before spouting off. Or, maybe you did watch it all and just wanted to be a troll, that could be possible too, sneaky... And now look what you've done, crushed my naïve American assumption that people with British accents are well educated thoughtful people...sigh.
Cheers!

ps, it was a California Orange

Last edited by Kranvagn; Mar 27th, 2019 at 04:13.
Kranvagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 10:17   #18
yeoman
Master Member

I like the Pilot assist and on a recent trans continental road trip,it was very useful.
The thing to bear in mind is that the system does not ALWAYs work.

Most of us buy Volvos due to their safety records.

Bearing this in mind,it seems counter intuitive to me, for one expose himself or his precious cargo to the vagaries of a system you know may fail.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 11:05   #19
Bernard F

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
I like the Pilot assist and on a recent trans continental road trip,it was very useful.
The thing to bear in mind is that the system does not ALWAYs work.

Most of us buy Volvos due to their safety records.

Bearing this in mind,it seems counter intuitive to me, for one expose himself or his precious cargo to the vagaries of a system you know may fail.
Please note the clue is in the title. It’s an assistant, not a system to be relied on for your safety. Having said that my Pilot Assist always works when the conditions are right and these include full driver awareness in case it falls out for which you get both audio and visual warning.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 14:14   #20
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranvagn View Post
Hello my friends from across the pond! Said Effing American Pr*ck here.

Since the 2nd half of that just 4 minute and 10 second video talked about how dangerous this is because of the clear inadequacies of modern auto pilot systems, and therefore how Volvo (and Tesla and the like) should really get their $hit together and make the attention detection systems harder to defeat, I'm surmising you didn't spend more than about 100 seconds pondering all this before spouting off. Or, maybe you did watch it all and just wanted to be a troll, that could be possible too, sneaky... And now look what you've done, crushed my naïve American assumption that people with British accents are well educated thoughtful people...sigh.
Cheers!
Hahah Welcome to the forum buddy! No hard feelings.. some people may have overreacted to your video - but no pun intended.

XC40 B4 RD AWD