Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driveline thumping/clunking

Views : 492

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2019, 03:13   #1
Dritto

Default Driveline thumping/clunking

Whenever I have 4-5 people in the car and accelerate or drive up a slope, I get a continuos thump from I guess the drive axle. Car has driven less than 100k miles

Gjør som Ford, kjøp Volvo
Dritto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dritto For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 11:20   #2
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dritto View Post
Whenever I have 4-5 people in the car and accelerate or drive up a slope, I get a continuos thump from I guess the drive axle. Car has driven less than 100k miles
My old 745 did the same-it's the driveshaft centre support bearing or the rubber carrier that it sits in. When the car is loaded, the rear axle sits higher against the body of the car, which changes the operational angle of the driveshaft, moving it also closer to the body of the car. If the DCSB is gone, the whole assembly isn't sufficiently supported and will generate a clunking/thumping sound.

In my experience, this is worse in first gear and worse going uphill.

It's a relatively simple repair but made much easier if you can get the car in the air.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 11:59   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

What rear suspension do you have on yours, is it Nivos or normal?

Either way, weak rear suspension can allow the back end to sit lower causing vibration not only in the prop centre bearing as Phil mentions but also the diff nose bearing - it's all to do with things not being lined up as they were designed to be.

Several people who have lowered their cars get this problem too.

If you have Nivos, i'd suggest new rear springs and shock absorbers/dampers would also help, if you have the standard set up, look to see if the back of the car is lower than the front when unloaded and on level ground. If the back is lower, renew the springs and shocks.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 17:25   #4
Dritto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What rear suspension do you have on yours, is it Nivos or normal?

Either way, weak rear suspension can allow the back end to sit lower causing vibration not only in the prop centre bearing as Phil mentions but also the diff nose bearing - it's all to do with things not being lined up as they were designed to be.

Several people who have lowered their cars get this problem too.

If you have Nivos, i'd suggest new rear springs and shock absorbers/dampers would also help, if you have the standard set up, look to see if the back of the car is lower than the front when unloaded and on level ground. If the back is lower, renew the springs and shocks.
I have standard shocks, and they have just been replaced. The car doesn't sit noticeably low.

Gjør som Ford, kjøp Volvo
Dritto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dritto For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 11:27   #5
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Rear axle movement

The high torque on the drive shaft in first gear not only turns the wheels, but also wants to turn the axle in the opposite direction, as a reaction force. There are two torque rods to counteract this axle rotation. With age, the rubber bushings of these rods get more flexible, allowing the axle to rotate a bit further. This causes the drive flange on the nose of the diffirential to lift higher, resulting in an increased propo shaft angle. What you actually feel are the u-joints rotating out of alignement.
Replacing the rubber bushings would be the ultimate solution, but putting shims underneath the prop shaft bearing can also help.

Educational action views of the rear axle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFlZZ96poIM&t=6s
It is a known "problem" and you can also do a search on Volvo TSB 45/102 for more info.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post: