Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc60 b4 mpg

Views : 1630

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2021, 08:38   #1
senwar

Default Xc60 b4 mpg

Got a new XC60 at end of November and the MPG has really surprised me - in a bad way. Keen to know others stats?

I've currently done just shy of 1200 miles and its showing an average of 27.1! Now I'll accept a couple of poor trips recently due to snow etc but that mileage includes quite a few distance drives before lockdown.

I had to do a round trip yesterday of 40 miles and it averaged 25.8.

Fully understand there are a lot of factors in mpg, but this seems pretty awful in my view. I had a B5 petrol r-design on loan a couple of weeks back when mine was in for a check and that was showing an average of 36 for a return journey of 60 miles to the dealers and back - for the same journey, mine averaged 34.

My previous car was a D4 XC40 that usually averaged about 40mpg. I expected the XC60 to be slightly lower - but not this much.

Any ideas?
senwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 09:14   #2
Cull06
Master Member

If that’s a B4 petrol. And you’re doing doing urban runs with that too, then I’m not entirely surprised with those numbers. It’s a 2 litre petrol in a SUV at the end of the day. Still a new engine so hopefully will improve a bit in time though.
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 09:23   #3
senwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
If that’s a B4 petrol. And you’re doing doing urban runs with that too, then I’m not entirely surprised with those numbers. It’s a 2 litre petrol in a SUV at the end of the day. Still a new engine so hopefully will improve a bit in time though.
No - sorry its a B4 diesel not petrol

I'm used to mpg improving as the engine loosens - and appreciate the cold weather doesn't help, but this just seems excessively poor.
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 10:27   #4
Vinesh

Check your tyre pressures. I have a B5 Diesel - i was not impressed with MPG either. Increasing the tyre pressures to 38psi all round made a difference - went from 30ish to 36-37 and even 40mpg on a motorway run.

I was surprised by the difference, it may be that i got used to the car etc. Bought mine in Nov as well.
Vinesh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinesh For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 10:28   #5
senwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinesh View Post
Check your tyre pressures. I have a B5 Diesel - i was not impressed with MPG either. Increasing the tyre pressures to 38psi all round made a difference - went from 30ish to 36-37 and even 40mpg on a motorway run.

I was surprised by the difference, it may be that i got used to the car etc. Bought mine in Nov as well.
Thanks - I'll have a look into this too.
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 22:10   #6
AndyJudge
Premier Member

New car still loosening up should see the MPG go up when it's bedded in properly.

Also diesels in cold weather take an age to warm up & get to efficient operating temps.

In the cold last week with the car having sat unmoved since New Year my 2015 D5 with 80K on he clock was showing an instant MPG in the mid-teens for the first 5 miles or so
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 08:59   #7
Scotty51

I have a B4 diesel with 800 miles on the clock. Warmed up on the motorway I show 41-42 mpg. A recent run round town not warmed up but doing about 15minutes driving showed 30mpg.
Tyres are at 38psi and I use Esso Supreme fuel. The better quality fuel always increases mpg.
Scotty51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 10:47   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinesh View Post

This is a massive problem these days . I would say in my experience checking about 4 sets a day for the last 40+ years that 90% of volvo tyre pressures are very low , resulting in :
poor fuel consumption
premature wear on the tyre edges .
Buckled wheel rims
just set them to 38 psi and keep an eye on them regularly .

With a volvo on a flat smooth floor you should be able to push it with one hand ..
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 08:26   #9
senwar

Thanks all

I've not been out since but will adjust the tyres at the weekend.

Having had diesels for the last 10yrs and new cars for much longer, this feels more than just engine loosening up.

Will sort tyres and see how it is over a month. thanks again
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 10:07   #10
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
just set them to 38 psi and keep an eye on them regularly .
Don't you find that 38 psi introduces a lot of road noise? I tried mine at 38 psi for a bit but on the motorway the tyre noise sounded like I'd left the back windows open slightly.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post: