Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition Switch / Starter problem?

Views : 11313

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2011, 20:40   #1
sobanekv50

Default Ignition Switch / Starter problem?

Hey guys, I've owned this V50 since new and despite giving me a few problems (turbo valve, abs pump) it's still a great and I don't regret buying it. However today, it didn't want to start. Key moved to position I shows airbag light on, when moved to II it goes ding ding, lights go off including the airbag light and when I switch it to start position (III) no response... I've SOMEHOW managed to start it up and drive it home after many retries but what could be wrong? I'll be giving it to a mechanic on friday anyway but some sort of direction would be nice.

To note: THERE IS NO ELECTRICAL FAILURE, STEREO, POWER WINDOWS all of that WORKS. Also, WHEN THE VOLVO STARTS IT STARTS JUST LIKE IT WOULD NORMALLY, NO PROBLEMS, STALLS OR ANYTHING.
It looks almost as if there was no starter in the car... But there obviously is.
sobanekv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 09:34   #2
iandonnadnjess
V.O.C. Member, R-Design

Smile

have you tried the spare key ??
iandonnadnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 10:56   #3
jasonb
In the mood for change!

No error message on the dash computer?
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 23:04   #4
sobanekv50

Yes, tried the spare key but same result. No error on the dashboard or the diagnostic. It worked fine today, had no problems starting it up... I'll wait till Friday.
sobanekv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 18:54   #5
b1ggles

Hi there,

I know this thread is almost 18 months old...but my V50 has just started exhbiting exactly the same symptoms. No starter motor engaging when going to III, but then sometimes it does start. I presumed it may be the battery, and when there is not enough charge in there, the starter will not fire....but I have tried charging and no change.

Sobanekv50,

What did the diagnostic through up for you.

Cheers
b1ggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 18:58   #6
Daim
Brit in Germany

Will be the ignition switch. Known fault on these cars. See if it starts when you wobble the key when in "III".

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 19:15   #7
b1ggles

Thanks Daim for the quick reply.

Just went out to the car. Started twice. Now it no joy....just nothing when going to III. Tried wiggling, shaking, all sorts....no joy!

This is getting annoying!
b1ggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 19:31   #8
SonyVaio
VOC Member

I have read somewhere on here of a similar problem and iirc it was due to a the immobiliser ring. Don't know much more about it than that but worth a search or check??

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2012, 20:14   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Will be the ignition switch. Known fault on these cars. See if it starts when you wobble the key when in "III".
yes need a new ignition switch just a simple swap no software .. if you work the switch 50 times it should start on one of those attempts ..
If your car is reasonably new your car may have this problem listed against it so worth seeing a dealer first .
Old Sep 17th, 2014, 01:52   #10
Ablerider

Cool Ignition Switch replacment

I have the same problem in my 2006 V50 2.4i. Occasionally it will not start and has stranded us a few times but not longer than 15 minutes before it finally starts. Sometimes it starts after putting it in Neutral but not always. No error messages.

So took it to Scandinavian Motors where we bought it and the scan was inconclusive. They recommend a new ignition switch but don't guarantee result. They would charge $700 total for the scan, part and labor.

I see the switch on ebay for less than $200, and a forum has detailed description (with pics) of how to do it. My big question is will my keys work with a new ignition switch? Clan, is that what you mean by simple swap, no software? Because in that case, i will do it myself.

Thanks,
Abe
Ablerider is offline   Reply With Quote