Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition Switch / Starter problem?

Views : 11303

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 04:43   #11
Ablerider

Talking fixed it.

New ignition switch fixed it. Took about 3 hours to do it myself. on the last day it did not start i also got a "immobilizer see manual" message on dash.
Ablerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 18:28   #12
sarahkkq

Default 05 V50 intermittent fault

My 05 V50 2.0 started this on Friday. Dashboard lights up, radio fine etc. but the engine does not start. Was patient and it started after 4 attempts. Brought it to a mechanic on Monday and nothing showed up. Recommended we go to main dealer. Started yesterday first time but trouble again this morning and evening. Wondering if it is the same issue as other poster? Am I looking at a very expensive fix?
sarahkkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 11:15   #13
weedeno belfast
weedeno 2003 v70 d5 se

Default v50 ignition switch

im in the middle of replaceing one now same symtoms starts odd time hope it will be fixed if you have it on computor that shows you parameters will show you moveing ignition switch postions mines geting everyone except postion 3 so it gives you a hint at the problem hope this helps
weedeno belfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2015, 18:04   #14
lapwing

Default v50 ignition switch

I have a 10 yr old V50 (purchased as an ex demo with 4k on the clock)which for the last year and more has been giving me hassle with warning messages appearing; such as 'brake, steering failure,stop safely (I was stationary at the time!) immobiliser see manual'. Last year I took it to a Volvo main dealer in Petersfield and they quoted me £600 plus to fix it so I declined their offer. I have found that if I remove the key and reinsert it, a few times if necessary, that the message goes away and I can then continue quite normally. How easy is it to replace the ignition switch?
lapwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 14:12   #15
Codyinka

Hiya I am new here and trying to find out what wrong with our volvo v50, same as others put the key in, all lights come on, into 111 and completely dead, after a while it starts again, this has happened with cold engine and last week, three weeks after it first happened before it was a hot engine. I have been to a garage and they fitted new glow plugs, I asked why and they said they thought that was the problem, it cost me £233.00 and i know I still have this problem. Anyone new had this problem and managed to sort it out?
Codyinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 21:16   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyinka View Post
Hiya I am new here and trying to find out what wrong with our volvo v50, same as others put the key in, all lights come on, into 111 and completely dead, after a while it starts again, this has happened with cold engine and last week, three weeks after it first happened before it was a hot engine. I have been to a garage and they fitted new glow plugs, I asked why and they said they thought that was the problem, it cost me £233.00 and i know I still have this problem. Anyone new had this problem and managed to sort it out?
ignition switches were a problem up until about 2009 they had 3 trys at sorting it out . A new switch should sort your problems , it's functions can be checked to confirm this with the dealer diagnostic equipment .. To be able to fix anything on a modern car you have to know how it works ....