Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo change query

Views : 441

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2021, 22:51   #1
V50 Craig

Default Turbo change query

Hey all. The turbo has been whistling for a while now so think I should probably change it in case it decides to get worse on me. Am I right in thinking the Mondeo/Focus 2.0tdci engine is basically the same engine as the 2.0d v50 lump? If so would the turbos be the same? Only asking as the ford turbos look exactly the same but are half the price of the volvo equivalents! I'm pretty sure they're the same but anyone who knows for sure could drop some knowledge that would be much appreciated
V50 Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 14:02   #2
Welton
Premier Member

It is extremely rare for the turbo's to 'fail' or 'wear out' - not unless the car has been horribly neglected (no oil changes ever) etc..

Turbo 'whistle' noise can be down to air or exhaust leakage (the exhaust flexi pipe for example) or loose air piping.

A turbo 'siren' sound is very often a sign of a blocked DPF if you have one.

I would not look at replacing the turbo unless you are 100% sure it's damaged/worn/excessive bearing play.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 21:04   #3
V50 Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
It is extremely rare for the turbo's to 'fail' or 'wear out' - not unless the car has been horribly neglected (no oil changes ever) etc..

Turbo 'whistle' noise can be down to air or exhaust leakage (the exhaust flexi pipe for example) or loose air piping.

A turbo 'siren' sound is very often a sign of a blocked DPF if you have one.

I would not look at replacing the turbo unless you are 100% sure it's damaged/worn/excessive bearing play.
Thanks for the reply. It's a non dpf so we can exclude that. I had my usual garage check it over and all seems fine in terms of leaks. It used to get serviced every other month too as I was doing a lit of mileage for commuting so can exclude that too. He thinks it could be the bearings. The car was remapped so I'm aware this does put extra strain on things like the turbo, clutch etc.

Back to the original question, any ideas if a ford 2.0tdci of similar year (2008) would have the same turbo? Think it'a a GT1749 on the Mondeo I've seen but looks identical to the volvo ones
V50 Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 16:13   #4
dennisl1
VOC President

If it is any use to you I had to have the turbo replaced on my C30 2.0D, it just gave up the ghost. Fortunately I had paid for a warranty and it was replaced for me, however they used a remanufactured replacement from a company called Ivor Searle. The units have a two year warranty and my car drives better than even before the old one failed, I guess it was on its way out anyway. Ivor Searle have a website so you can see for yourself what they offer.
dennisl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 19:58   #5
Pete-V70 D5 2003

whatever you do dont go anywhere near the chinese junk on ebay/amazon you be lucky if it lasts 1k and the warranties are useless. One guy maxspeedingrods Mine blew up at 1200mls due to shaft failure. They sell under a dozen or more different names and even have glittery websites. I was quick to shut my car down when it failed (2010 V50 1.6D) so not a lot of shrapnel got beyond the throttle body it would seem. Gave it 3 oil/filter changes and a strip down of Intercooler etc due to oil/shrapnel ingress. I got away with (fingers crossed) using bits of my old/new turbo plus a new CHRA from a french guy on ebay and all seems well for now at 1000k. The chinese turbo whistled slightly from new which was a sure sign of something wrong. So.............. Cars love oil changes so do it with top qulaity oil like Mobil at least evey 10k as a max but better 6k if driven hardish. The fanstatsic figures given out for servicing last 20yrs only serve the dealerships in parts and repairs.
Pete-V70 D5 2003 is offline   Reply With Quote