Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cooling fan

Views : 808

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2015, 01:35   #1
Sjacobsuk

Default cooling fan

suspected the rumbling noises were coming from my water pump and replaced it with no joy. Pretty sure it's the viscous fan hub. Does anyone have one in good shape that's going spare? I've got a 1970 E with the five-blade fan.

Someone may have a thought on whether I am better off buying the blades from brookhouse without the viscous hub?
Sjacobsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 09:47   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would do an electric fan conversion. You could just remove the fan as a temporary measure to prove it is the problem. As long as you do not leave it running stood still for any amount of time it should keep cool without any fan.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 10:26   #3
Sjacobsuk

Thanks for the thoughts. I was thinking the same and was going to remove the fan to confirm the culprit. Couldn't bring myself to drain the radiator again yet!

Electric fan conversion seems and expensive solution? I'd like to keep it cheap and cheerful if I can on this fix.
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 11:42   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

Cheap and cheerful can be had by fitting a standard 4 blader. For more money, one of the asymmetric 5 bladers would also work well. Electric fan conversion doesn't have to be expensive if you use one from a modern car. Make sure it blows in the right direction! Fitting it in front of the rad will take a bit of thought to get the right one and will need a sensor and some wiring. Depends if you're up for it as a project. 12" OK for an Amazon but an 11" should be fine too. Don't know if the 1800 rad has a shorter height than an Amazon.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 13:01   #5
Sjacobsuk

Sounds like I'll do some more investigation. Pulled the old one back off last night and that's definitely where the rattle is coming from
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 23:59   #6
Tail
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjacobsuk View Post
Electric fan conversion seems and expensive solution? I'd like to keep it cheap and cheerful if I can on this fix.
£15 off e-bay isn't too steep with a manual switch to turn on and off

take your pick

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...r+fan&_sacat=0
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 15:54   #7
Sjacobsuk

"Sjacobsuk;1818786]Sounds like I'll do some more investigation. Pulled the old one back off last night and that's definitely where the rattle is coming from"

In case anyone is following this thread - I bought the new water pump from Brookhouse and you'll note on Simon's site is it says "May need modification for the Aqueous fan".

My rattle was actually due to the length of the bolts that attached the fan pulley to the end of the water pump. My original bolts were just slightly long and were just touching the new pump housing which is a different shape than the orginal. hence the noise and some shavings. Shortened the bolts and the problem was solved.

FYI - the other modification that I needed to make was to recess the piece that forms the spindle for the fan itself. The new pump axles extend about 3 mm further than the originals and you need to drill out some material to make the parts sit flush.