Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v70 2.4 D5 performance upgrades?

Views : 7026

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2020, 01:11   #1
VolvoEnthusiastV70

Default v70 2.4 D5 performance upgrades?

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster here!

For the last two years I've been driving an S40 2.4i and have recently upgraded to a 57 plate v70 with the titular 2.4 d5 engine in it.

I've already eyed up some Eibach lowering springs and a front strut brace. I would eventually like to have the car remapped. The crux of my question is: does a stage 2 remap require a better clutch or better turbo? I apologise in advance for my naivety but this is the first time I've had a car that is worth remapping.

I'm also looking at better discs and pads which I'll upgrade regardless of stage one or stage two remap.

If you've made it this far, thanks for sticking with me.
VolvoEnthusiastV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VolvoEnthusiastV70 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 20:41   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoEnthusiastV70 View Post
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster here!

For the last two years I've been driving an S40 2.4i and have recently upgraded to a 57 plate v70 with the titular 2.4 d5 engine in it.

I've already eyed up some Eibach lowering springs and a front strut brace. I would eventually like to have the car remapped. The crux of my question is: does a stage 2 remap require a better clutch or better turbo? I apologise in advance for my naivety but this is the first time I've had a car that is worth remapping.

I'm also looking at better discs and pads which I'll upgrade regardless of stage one or stage two remap.

If you've made it this far, thanks for sticking with me.
remaps can soon find any weakness on your car. clutch intercooler turbo ect it can get expensive real quick. as for lowering v70 has only abt 9in ground clearance to start with my v70 catches on some of the anti speed bumps near me consider this before lowering . do you have many speed humps near by
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 20:45   #3
Stan63

Default Ditto

Hi, interested to see what responses you get as I am in the same position as yourself, I bought a V70 D5 in March and would like to make some upgrades.

I was looking at the Polestar re-map but missed out on the recent (temp) price drop so now I can't bring myself to pay the full price.

Currently I am looking into anti-roll bars, it was fairly easy to conclude that IPD and Elevate are the most recommended, sourcing either appears to be a bit more difficult.

After anti-roll bars I’ll consider if a strut brace is necessary.

Brakes, I’ll leave alone until after / if I get a remap. Though I know when new pads are required, I'll be looking at what proven improvements are available.
Stan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 17:29   #4
dingov70
Master Member

Afternoon , my P1 v70 Tdi was fitted with lowered & stiffer Eibach springs , matched dampers & 17" 40 profile tyres and rode around town like a pig ! . Brilliant at speed & flinging it through corners like my bottom & hair were on fire , but woeful around town . Think long & hard before forking over your cash Do you really need a harder ride or would shorter standard rate springs suffice ??????
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 20:47   #5
SD40

Default Harsher ride

I realise we are a few months on from the last post but I thought I would add my own experience.
I have a 2008 V50 D5, it’s Celtic remapped, lowered on Vogtland springs and im using Bilstein B6 dampers. Several other mods, but not relevant to this post.

The ride is for my liking a little soft if anything , speed bumps in the Aberdeen area are all fine, I have lowered the front bumper edge and splitter an additional 60mm and it still clears the bumps.
I would add that I think that my suspension is firm but comfortable, it does not crash over bumps and potholes.
I have lowered and uprated every one of my many previous cars, so would like to think that I have experience in this.

My impreza runs BC coil overs set at about 75% all round, that is a hard ride, but drives like its on rails 😬😁😁😁
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 20:46   #6
V8XCV

How do you find the Celtic remap? I'm looking for a remap for my D5 but there are hardly any options out there these days,

RICA seem to have disappeared, MTE via Kalmar Union disappeared

The only ones I can find are D5T5 VDASH tuning or maybe BSR, I'm not counting Polestar as not worth the cost.

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2021, 22:39   #7
davebb
Premier Member

Hi Have you contacted superchips ,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 04:01   #8
cav

Default Remap

Any more info on Kalmar Union?
Been researching getting my D5 AWD mapped by either DC Remapping which are local to me or from research here, Kalmar Union which I believe have recently closed down.
Any one got any other suggestions?
cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 04:08   #9
Mkengineering
Master Member

Look up contrast tunning

That's all I'll say! Gustav is a legend when it comes to the P2 platform!
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 12:06   #10
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkengineering View Post
Look up contrast tunning

That's all I'll say! Gustav is a legend when it comes to the P2 platform!
https://urbastuning.wordpress.com/contact/

Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davebb For This Useful Post: