Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 door mirror casing removal

Views : 357

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2022, 11:58   #1
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Default 940 door mirror casing removal

Surprinsingly, my 940 GLE has the simple black (now grey) door mirror casings. I'd like to remove them to colour code them to the body - has anyone successfully removed the casing without destroying all the clips?

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 13:31   #2
bob12
bob12

Sorry, as far as I am aware unlike the 850 etc, the door mirror on a 900 Series is of a totally different design that started with 700's. The only change 700 v 900 being when the method of attaching the mirror glass to the tilt motor changed and when the outer door trim was terminated inside the mirror face plate rather than running underneath the face plate.

You cannot disassemble the shell from the frame without drilling out and destroying the 6 points behind the mirror on the potmetal frame that hold the shell to the frame.

Should you do that I believe that you may then encounter a problem getting the shell clear of the large return spring which I think must be fitted last in manufacture.

I reckon you will either have to mask the mirror up or take it off the door to paint it.

The attached photo if of a mirror from a later 940 showing the way in which the shell is attached.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 700900DoorMirror.jpg (214.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by bob12; Aug 9th, 2022 at 13:34.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 16:27   #3
TonyS9
Premier Member

I found it next to impossible to remove the glass from the motor without breaking the motor mechanism. Others have said it is possible with a small sharp screwdriver and/or pokey things to dislodge the clips from the motor. However you don't really need to remove the glass for spraying.

Removing the housing from the door is relatively easy but the internal triangular covers are also prone to breaking. I also broke both of mine as the force needed to seperate push in studs is more than they could handle. Spraying in some lubricant (WD40) to the 2 stud holes after prising up the cover might help.

After that its a few screws that should come out easily from the Aluminium base plate and a connector.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 18:01   #4
Steve 940
Premier Member

This is another one of the jobs on my 'to do' list as well, on mine the near side mirror casing is quite badly scratched as with all the damned overgrown hedges around these parts, it looks as though it's had a thrashing with a cat o nine tails😀

I was planning to just mask up around the seam on the side, and then plastic primer, and body colour. I've had the paint for months but I will get around to it soon......

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 19:48   #5
bob12
bob12

You can remove the mirror but, it is not easy and will require great patience/time and even then you may crack it! You need 3 very small headed screwdrivers and some WD40 or the like.

First press the mirror in towards the top and bottom to give the holding clips a small blast of lubricant.

I have found it is easier to endeavour to remove the top half of the mirror first and then the bottom set of fixings can be more easily worked off. Basically you have to push the screwdriver head between the two clips and then work them free at just 1 connection to start with.

All easier said than done!!

When replacing a mirror smear silicone grease at the connections. If you ever have to remove the mirror glass again it will be much easier.

I attach 3 photos showing the way/where the 4 pairs of clips and positioning pins are situated and clip oved the outer motor circumference.

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tilt Motor 1.jpg (135.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Tilt Motor 2.jpg (175.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Mirror Back.jpg (247.0 KB, 9 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 13:47   #6
Forrest
VOC Member

I concur with the warnings and advice issued already. I have successfully removed one intact, but I did it indoors with the mirror removed from the car; a process which broke one of the two tabs on the triangular trim piece.

One thing that might help. If the mirror is original then there is a good chance the glue which holds the glass to the plastic backing is on its last legs. I have had one fall off due to this. If you can persuade the glass to come away from the backing then the plastic backing alone is very much easier to remove as it is much more flexible.

Afterwards, glue the glass back on before refitting. If you do break the mirror good quality non-OEM replacements are available for about £20 on eBay. Make sure you get the heated variety if you need it.

If you need to replace the motor be aware that many of the non-OEM ones available will be wired such that left and right adjustments will be reversed. If you want to try and fix this on the motor you will need to do it before reassembly. Otherwise, it is quite easy just to live with it.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 22:47   #7
bob12
bob12

If you want to buy an el cheapo mirror tilt motor on eBay for about £11 as said ^^^ you can either live with the slight change in control switch operation or snip and solder to effect correct operation!

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VolvoMirrorTiltMotor.jpg (190.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg eBayCheapoMirrorMotor.jpg (188.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by bob12; Aug 10th, 2022 at 22:49.
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post: