Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Door Locks not working

Views : 5727

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2022, 16:12   #1
CXC60

Angry XC60 Door Locks not working

I have a '65 plate XC60 which is great and works really well. However just over a year ago both passenger door locks stopped working. I got my local Volvo dealership to take a look and they said it needed the locks replacing at a cost of £479 per lock?! I got them replaced with my usual trusted mechanic using Volvo parts at a lesser cost. Then this year the rear driver door lock went and this past month the driver door went and the rear passenger has gone again.

I have contacted Volvo UK and they said that it wasn't a recall issue and it was out of warranty so couldn't help.

I just want to know if anyone else has experienced the same recurrent issues with their door locks as this is getting very expensive.

Thanks!
CXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 16:26   #2
GrahamHR

Recalled for door latch problems in the USA:

December 12, 2019 — A Volvo door latch recall has been issued for nearly 145,000 model year 2011-2017 Volvo S60, S60I, V60, S60CC and Volvo V60CC vehicles.

The automaker says a component within the door latch may break and give people a tough time when trying to latch the doors.

Occupants may believe the doors are secured properly when they aren't, leaving open the possibility of a door opening while driving.

According to Volvo, a latch can weaken and the retention hook for the pawl spring in the door latch may break off if the vehicle is exposed to hot climates. The automaker says simply opening a door can cause a latch fracture.

Customers may notice problems when trying to close the doors and may see warning lights indicating the doors are ajar.

The Volvo door latch recall is scheduled to begin January 4, 2020. Volvo dealerships will replace all four door latches.

Model year 2011-2017 Volvo S60, S60I, V60, S60CC and Volvo V60CC owners may call Volvo at 800-458-1552 and refer to recall number R89978.

Maybe not the same thing ?
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 16:32   #3
Squire

Red face

Can't help much but when I bought my 12 plate V60 the drivers door lock went within a few days of purchase. The dealer changed the lock and all is well at the moment. The old lock is a Ford component, same as fitted from a Mondeo I believe!

I've got mine set up for drivers door opening only with one press on the fob, a second press opens the other doors.
Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 20:04   #4
Chrisv60

The door locks failed one by one on my V60. They wouldn't unlock from the fob but fortunately could still be opened from inside.

I gather the US recall was different in that the locks failed to latch shut and so there was a risk of the doors opening whilst driving along.
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 10:55   #5
CXC60

Thanks for these replies.

I had read about the recall in the US and not sure it's the same - I cannot unlock with the keyfob but have to unlock from the inside, which with it being on 3 doors isn't easy. The drivers door if I keep pressing the fob does open.

I have it set to one press for the driver door and two for the other doors.

Just so weird it has happened to all the doors and again on the passenger rear.

Was disappointing that Volvo UK just dismissed it and told me it was my problem.
CXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 11:32   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXC60 View Post
I have a '65 plate XC60 which is great and works really well. However just over a year ago both passenger door locks stopped working. I got my local Volvo dealership to take a look and they said it needed the locks replacing at a cost of £479 per lock?! I got them replaced with my usual trusted mechanic using Volvo parts at a lesser cost. Then this year the rear driver door lock went and this past month the driver door went and the rear passenger has gone again.

I have contacted Volvo UK and they said that it wasn't a recall issue and it was out of warranty so couldn't help.

I just want to know if anyone else has experienced the same recurrent issues with their door locks as this is getting very expensive.

Thanks!
The new locks have a waterproofing sheath over them so they shouldn't fail a second time.