Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Maps Activation Code?

Views : 744

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2022, 17:33   #1
Steverob1066

Default Maps Activation Code?

I have a 2013 XC60 SE D4 Nav and have just downloaded the most recent (2020) Sensus maps update - 22GB on USB. Once plugged into the USB port the system recognises the update but before allowing me to update it's asking for an activation code.

How do I get that? Is this even possible?

Thanks
Steverob1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 22:51   #2
Deck1ng
Master Member

Map update - Activation code
PDA
View Full Version : Map update - Activation code

DT19
Jun 3rd, 2018, 20:00
I've got my 2013 S60 booked into the dealer on Tuesday because apparently it needs a software update to allow a map update via USB.

Out of curiousity I downloaded the latest map onto a new 32Gb USB stick and tried it. A message popped up on the display asking me to enter an activation code, does this mean it's likely already set up to update from USB instead of DVD?

Where do I find the activation code? The DVD box and manual suggested www.volvocars/navi but that link is dead.

I tried searching the Volvo UK website without any success.

Has anyone got a link for it please?
V60Munger
Jun 3rd, 2018, 21:04
I’ve just picked up a 12 plate V60 D5 last Wednesday and I enquired with the dealer about map updates and was quoted £99 for the software update to allow the car to accept the usb map updates feature... luckily in the log book folder was a leaflet explaining about maps service so I decided to download the 22gb file to a usb plugged it in and boom asked me to start the update, no code needed.
andyg
Jun 4th, 2018, 17:53
HI there. On my 2013 S80 I used to update the maps using Volvo discs and they did require an activation code. In summer 2016 I had the software update done to allow loading maps from a USB drive using data downloaded from the Volvo website. I have done that twice now and both times an activation code was not required. The car recognises the map data on the USB drive and starts loading automatically. Yours being a 2013 car I would have thought the same applies. I never did try using a USB stick before having the software updated because all the advice was that it would not work.
DT19
Jun 5th, 2018, 08:21
HI there. On my 2013 S80 I used to update the maps using Volvo discs and they did require an activation code. In summer 2016 I had the software update done to allow loading maps from a USB drive using data downloaded from the Volvo website. I have done that twice now and both times an activation code was not required. The car recognises the map data on the USB drive and starts loading automatically. Yours being a 2013 car I would have thought the same applies. I never did try using a USB stick before having the software updated because all the advice was that it would not work.

Thanks for the advice, and you're right, it didn't work. I'm sitting in the dealers now, drinking their coffee and waiting for a lift home. Need to make sure I drink £130 worth of their coffee though.
Zebster
Jun 5th, 2018, 08:33
Thanks for the advice, and you're right, it didn't work. I'm sitting in the dealers now, drinking their coffee and waiting for a lift home. Need to make sure I drink £130 worth of their coffee though.
Isn't the software upgrade to enable free downloads only £99?
DT19
Jun 5th, 2018, 09:43
Maybe it varies. I was quoted £130 and as they want it all day I didn't have much option
I did get a lift home which saved a taxi fare though.
Zebster
Jun 5th, 2018, 09:57
Maybe it varies. I was quoted £130 and as they want it all day I didn't have much option
I did wonder if £99 was just a special offer at a N.London dealer (which may have been plus VAT anyway).

Isn't it just a 30/40 minute task? Or did they need your car all day to do it at their leisure?

I'm currently considering buying a 2013 V60 that still has the original (2012) maps loaded.
DT19
Jun 5th, 2018, 10:12
I did wonder if £99 was just a special offer at a N.London dealer (which may have been plus VAT anyway).

Isn't it just a 30/40 minute task? Or did they need your car all day to do it at their leisure?

I'm currently considering buying a 2013 V60 that still has the original (2012) maps loaded.

I think the software update is fairly quick but the new maps might take some time to install. As long as it's done properly and works as it should I'm happy.
I might go back early and have some more coffee and cake (yes, cake) I wonder if it'll be ready quicker if I start scoffing all their cake
Zebster
Jun 5th, 2018, 10:45
I think the software update is fairly quick but the new maps might take some time to install. As long as it's done properly and works as it should I'm happy.
I might go back early and have some more coffee and cake (yes, cake) I wonder if it'll be ready quicker if I start scoffing all their cake
Cake seems to be a Volvo dealer thing... I was in the Stourbridge one last week and they kept offering me cake!

So they are loading the maps for you, not just performing the software upgrade? The offer I saw appeared to suggest that the subsequent map updates were performed by the owner using a 32Gb USB stick.
andyg
Jun 5th, 2018, 12:16
So they are loading the maps for you, not just performing the software upgrade? The offer I saw appeared to suggest that the subsequent map updates were performed by the owner using a 32Gb USB stick.

Volvo dealers offer both options. Costs a bit more for anyone who wants them to also load the maps because in my experience it takes about 60 - 90 minutes!
Zebster
Jun 5th, 2018, 12:23
Volvo dealers offer both options. Costs a bit more for anyone who wants them to also load the maps because in my experience it takes about 60 - 90 minutes!
Ah, so maybe explains £130 instead of £99?
DT19
Jun 6th, 2018, 17:26

The dealer I went to does the map install as well using their own usb stick with a known good download which was why the quote was £130. Some dealers do just the software update for £90 ish and leave you to download and install the maps.

I had already got the download and put it on 2 brand new usb sticks but they didn't need them.

Though saying that, when I went to collect my car at 4pm I was told the maps were still installing and had 2 1/2 hours to go. So, I sat in the driveway with the ignition on until I got bored and went for a drive to the coast while it finished. They did knock £20 off the bill so I'm happy with that.
Clan
Jun 6th, 2018, 19:53

the last one I did took 3 hours !
exacta10
Jun 13th, 2018, 20:56
Just had my 2012 V60 software & map's updated £100.
Put it in at 8.30am got it back 5.00pm, gave them an empty USB drive but was advised not to use a SanDisk USB as they don't work when updating the maps.
USB drive formated to fat 32. All good now.
844PHW
Jun 14th, 2018, 08:59
.....was advised not to use a SanDisk USB as they don't work when updating the maps......

Well, I don't understand that. I have successfully used a Sandisk USB to update the maps twice now. It even takes less time than it claims it will.
1monkey600
Jun 14th, 2018, 11:47
Sandisk often ship their usb sticks with some free extra software files on them.
Volvo updates need a clean stick before the car 'sees' the update.
Therefore, if you format them again, (in the original FAT32 format), as soon as you get it, to get rid of any free files, they should work as well as any other usb stick.
I have only used Sandisk, with no issues, for all three map updates I have put into my xc70.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deck1ng For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 12:07   #3
DT19
Master Member

Ooooo, fame at last

Mine has worked fine since I had the software loaded and I've updated the maps a couple of times without any issues so it was worth doing.

Steverob1066 I wouldn't get too excited though, the maps aren't getting updated any more so they're not completely accurate but they are still very useful.
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DT19 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 13:40   #4
Deck1ng
Master Member

Ooooo, fame at last
😂😂
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 17:46   #5
Steverob1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT19 View Post
Ooooo, fame at last

Mine has worked fine since I had the software loaded and I've updated the maps a couple of times without any issues so it was worth doing.

Steverob1066 I wouldn't get too excited though, the maps aren't getting updated any more so they're not completely accurate but they are still very useful.
Thanks - I'm not too excited (!) but even a 2020 map update (I think the last one) would be better than the 2015 version I have.
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 12:00   #6
Steverob1066

Maps Update Update:
Marshall Volvo quoted me £50 to update the software, so I figured it was worth it, and took it in. After several calls back and forth when they were telling me they didn't know how to do it, didn't have a large enough USB drive etc etc I finally spoke to the service manager who told me he'd found a workaround and it was all sorted. As a gesture of godwill, they waived the charge.
I picked the car up and now there's a host of new issues:
- Bluetooth won't pair, so I can't use my handsfree
- The radio loses its memory
- The USB port doesn't work

So all in all, a bit of a disaster. It shows that car servicing has some catching up to do. In talking to the technicians, they don't have any IT vocabulary. It's not their fault - it boils down to training. Not hopeful I will get my car back to where it was any time soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck1ng View Post
Map update - Activation code
PDA
View Full Version : Map update - Activation code

DT19
Jun 3rd, 2018, 20:00
I've got my 2013 S60 booked into the dealer on Tuesday because apparently it needs a software update to allow a map update via USB.

Out of curiousity I downloaded the latest map onto a new 32Gb USB stick and tried it. A message popped up on the display asking me to enter an activation code, does this mean it's likely already set up to update from USB instead of DVD?

Where do I find the activation code? The DVD box and manual suggested www.volvocars/navi but that link is dead.

I tried searching the Volvo UK website without any success.

Has anyone got a link for it please?
V60Munger
Jun 3rd, 2018, 21:04
I’ve just picked up a 12 plate V60 D5 last Wednesday and I enquired with the dealer about map updates and was quoted £99 for the software update to allow the car to accept the usb map updates feature... luckily in the log book folder was a leaflet explaining about maps service so I decided to download the 22gb file to a usb plugged it in and boom asked me to start the update, no code needed.
andyg
Jun 4th, 2018, 17:53
DT19
Jun 5th, 2018, 08:21

Zebster
Jun 5th, 2018, 08:33
DT19
Jun 5th, 2018, 09:43
Zebster
Jun 5th, 2018, 09:57

DT19
Jun 5th, 2018, 10:12

Zebster
Jun 5th, 2018, 10:45
Cake seems to be a Volvo dealer thing... I was in the Stourbridge one last week and they kept offering me cake!

andyg
Jun 5th, 2018, 12:16

Zebster
Jun 5th, 2018, 12:23
DT19
Jun 6th, 2018, 17:26

The dealer I went to does the map install as well using their own usb stick with a known good download which was why the quote was £130. Some dealers do just the software update for £90 ish and leave you to download and install the maps.

I had already got the download and put it on 2 brand new usb sticks but they didn't need them.

Though saying that, when I went to collect my car at 4pm I was told the maps were still installing and had 2 1/2 hours to go. So, I sat in the driveway with the ignition on until I got bored and went for a drive to the coast while it finished. They did knock £20 off the bill so I'm happy with that.
Clan
Jun 6th, 2018, 19:53

the last one I did took 3 hours !
exacta10
Jun 13th, 2018, 20:56
Just had my 2012 V60 software & map's updated £100.
Put it in at 8.30am got it back 5.00pm, gave them an empty USB drive but was advised not to use a SanDisk USB as they don't work when updating the maps.
USB drive formated to fat 32. All good now.
844PHW
Jun 14th, 2018, 08:59
.....was advised not to use a SanDisk USB as they don't work when updating the maps......

Well, I don't understand that. I have successfully used a Sandisk USB to update the maps twice now. It even takes less time than it claims it will.
1monkey600
Jun 14th, 2018, 11:47
Sandisk often ship their usb sticks with some free extra software files on them.
Volvo updates need a clean stick before the car 'sees' the update.
Therefore, if you format them again, (in the original FAT32 format), as soon as you get it, to get rid of any free files, they should work as well as any other usb stick.
I have only used Sandisk, with no issues, for all three map updates I have put into my xc70.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 22:03   #7
Dibble
VOC Member

I downloaded on to an SD Card, plugged it in and then it asked for the activation code. I didn't know where to find it but was told that the Code should be on my Volvo Car history and speak to the dealer I bought the car from. I did that but they didn't know anything about this Code. The car had been recently serviced there and I thought the updates were all part of the service but mine wasn't done.
I still don't have the Aberdeen By-pass on my Maps! Are they kidding me on?
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 08:04   #8
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble View Post
I downloaded on to an SD Card, plugged it in and then it asked for the activation code. I didn't know where to find it but was told that the Code should be on my Volvo Car history and speak to the dealer I bought the car from. I did that but they didn't know anything about this Code. The car had been recently serviced there and I thought the updates were all part of the service but mine wasn't done.
I still don't have the Aberdeen By-pass on my Maps! Are they kidding me on?
It's a software update rather than the service updates you get. You'll need to pay for it. Explains it here:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...ads/maps/iam21

Tags
satnav update, xc60