Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 600478

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2022, 21:12   #2591
chrisrov

I have a 2015 (64 reg) V40 D4.
Bought the car 2 years ago, has 56K miles on it (20K are mine).
Last November, it was time for my MOT, and I decided to do it at my local Volvo dealership, in order to do the known recall as well.
They also offered to do a software update for free, which I accepted.

After the software update, the car showed an ECU warning.
After checking for about a week, they informed be that this was because of a blocking plate in the EGR valve.

Apparently, the previous owner had done an EGR block, but after the software update the remapping was deleted, so I had the warning.
The dealer said that they are not able to help, and the only thing that I could do in order to get rid of the amber warning, is to either have it remapped, or remove the blocking plate and see if there is still a warning.

I went to a couple of garages, and was quoted approx £250 to remap.
I decided to remove the blocking plate from the EGR valve and see if this deletes the warning.
It worked, never had a warning since.

Well, never until last week...
Got an amber engine check warning, and I was quoted £90 from another Volvo dealer to run the diagnostics (the dealer I had done the MOT and the sw update quoted me £150 for the same job), which I paid.
Recorded an ECM P04D900, and found the EGR Cooler blocked.
Carried out air intake leakage test, all ok.
I am quoted now £750 to replace the EGR cooler, and I'm thinking about my options...

I read in the forum that in similar cases, UK Volvo has accepted to offer a goodwill contribution, as this seems to be a known issue with these engines. I am thinking that this is my best option, and hope that they will offer at least a discount.

If this is unsuccessful, should I pay the £750 and have it replaced, or could I redo the EGR block and remapping? Would that actually work, or not anymore, since the EGR cooler is already blocked?
I definitely don't want to do anything stupid and destroy my engine, and I am a complete newbie and have no idea what I'm up against...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Chris

*I found this thread online while checking my issue, and I replied before I realized that this forum is about S60, V60, XC60...
If I am off-topic, apologies, and please could a mod move my post to the correct forum

Last edited by chrisrov; Jun 10th, 2022 at 21:35. Reason: Off topic?
chrisrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 14:57   #2592
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Well sadly got the dreaded reduced engine performance and turtle message yesterday, this was proceeded by an orange check engine light on Friday that disappeared after a run, I checked the code on Friday and it was P04D9, checked again yesterday after the reduced engine performance message appeared and had the P04D9 and P00BC codes which from some reading appears to point to the issue mentioned in this thread. Car was driving fine with no noticeable loss in performance.

I've put the car into volvo today to be looked at tomorrow, my question is, what is the likelyhood of getting good will off volvo?, car is 2014 D4 70k with full service history (non volvo)?.

I did check and couldn't see any outstanding recalls.
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 17:05   #2593
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Well massive massive thumbs up to stonearce volvo Newcastle, they've got volvo to agree to pay for all the work, I only have to pay them the original diagnostic fee, so happy right now 😀
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scoobysn7x For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 23:24   #2594
Chrisv60

It's good to see they're still replacing them under goodwill as some of the cars are getting quite old now. I guess the full service history, albeit not with Volvo, helped considerably.

I'm a bit surprised they're still making you pay the diagnostic fee as usually it was waived once those codes popped up. However, I can imagine it's a weight off your mind.
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 09:49   #2595
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Yeah under normal circumstances I would have probably whinged but as they've saved me over £2k was happy to pay as they have had to diagnose it. In hindsight I think they had an incling as they asked me to bring the service book in. Which probably helped as the cars been serviced every 12 months regardless of mileage.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 09:56   #2596
Kento

Default EGR system cleaning - Terraclean

A local indy Volvo servicing garage directed me towards Terraclean when the warning light came up with no loss of performance.
This is done by garages registered with Terraclean but in my limited understanding their website appears to deal with cleaning EGR & DPF issues on all diesels and not specific to the D4 problem.

Went to see the Terraclean servicing agent and he seemed confident he could do the clean up reset the warning light and complete an MOT.

Is this a workable solution for the D4 EGR problem, any experiences please as no mention of Terraclean elsewhere on this thread.
At it £300 might be worthwhile option because Volvo dealer wants £100 to just look at the car and then might (but not definitely) get a contribution from Volvo but my car is 7yrs old bought new by me and only Volvo serviced for first 5 yrs.
Kento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 11:02   #2597
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kento View Post
A local indy Volvo servicing garage directed me towards Terraclean when the warning light came up with no loss of performance.
This is done by garages registered with Terraclean but in my limited understanding their website appears to deal with cleaning EGR & DPF issues on all diesels and not specific to the D4 problem.

Went to see the Terraclean servicing agent and he seemed confident he could do the clean up reset the warning light and complete an MOT.

Is this a workable solution for the D4 EGR problem, any experiences please as no mention of Terraclean elsewhere on this thread.
At it £300 might be worthwhile option because Volvo dealer wants £100 to just look at the car and then might (but not definitely) get a contribution from Volvo but my car is 7yrs old bought new by me and only Volvo serviced for first 5 yrs.
If your car has a full service history (Volvo or otherwise) is less than 10 years old and has less than 100k miles on the clock I'd be surprised if Volvo would not offer goodwill for the EGR issue on a D4 VEA as they are banged to rights if you choose to take the issue further.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 11:44   #2598
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kento View Post

My car had full service history but only 1st one was at volvo, as others have said as long as its full service history at any garage and lowish miles chances are volvo will offer some good will, mine was 6 years old and 69k but had been serviced every 12 month (at an independent) and they paid for it all
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 15:25   #2599
IronMike247

Default Coolant warning

Hello there,

I bought a 2017 S60 D4 a few months ago. In the last couple of weeks, I've noticed a warning light/message on the dashboard when I brake harshly or go around a corner harshly.
I haven't been able to snap a picture as the message disappears straight away, but I believe it says something along the lines of "Engine coolant level low, Stop safely".
I'm wondering if there is a specific coolant I need to get for it, or if a universal one could be used? I have a bottle of universal antifreeze/coolant but I thought it was best to check before using.

Thanks.
IronMike247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 14:44   #2600
Stuby

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMike247 View Post
Hello there,

I bought a 2017 S60 D4 a few months ago. In the last couple of weeks, I've noticed a warning light/message on the dashboard when I brake harshly or go around a corner harshly.
I haven't been able to snap a picture as the message disappears straight away, but I believe it says something along the lines of "Engine coolant level low, Stop safely".
I'm wondering if there is a specific coolant I need to get for it, or if a universal one could be used? I have a bottle of universal antifreeze/coolant but I thought it was best to check before using.

Thanks.
Check to make sure the coolant expansion tank isn't pressurising.

I had all the problems with the EGR cooler, manifold re-call. Anyway in the end I had the low coolant problem when going round bends. I checked the tank and it was pressurised. Left the cap off and could see the bubbles.
I suspected head gasket. So took it to Volvo where they diagnosed it as a cracked cylinder liner.
Then said it needs a new engine at a cost of £9500.
This was a 2014 D4 V60 £0 road tax one, with only 110000 miles on the clock
I say was, as now its in the scrap yard.
Spent loads of money on it and even paid Volvo £500 to tell me it was scrap
My advice would be, get rid of your D4 4 cylinder VAE engine car.
Stuby is offline   Reply With Quote