Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 D6 AWD Hybrid - cam belt cost

Views : 3802

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2022, 20:52   #11
motor84

Having looked deeper, I see lots of 108k miles or 6 years. The lady on the phone did say they had changed the interval. My car is 6 years old. So I guess its that and not the mileage. Hmmm, not sure what do to there. I wonder why they changed it from 10 to 6 years.
motor84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 23:05   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor84 View Post
Hi guys, I hope you don't mind me reviving this thread? I have just bought a D6 Hybrid. Love it! Called Volvo to get a service and check over done. They said the 'system' is recommending a Cambelt change 'We strongly advice you do it'. The car has done 66k miles. Nothing like the 108k you guys were talking about.

What do you think? Is 100k miles the typical break point?

Cheers!
No where near 10 years / 108000 miles and NO volvo cambelts do not break they still look new after 108000 miles . tell them they don't know what they are talking about .
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 00:05   #13
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Mine is a 66 plate as well, and my Volvo garage in another part of the country also indicated that my Cam belt would be due at the next service (at 6 years).

My own dilema isn't whether it 'needs' changing (with only 40k on it), but what happens with the Volvo Selekt warranty if I don't change it and I need to claim for anything vaguely engine related.

Anyway, it sounds like the Volvo technical advice has changed ?
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 00:37   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
Mine is a 66 plate as well, and my Volvo garage in another part of the country also indicated that my Cam belt would be due at the next service (at 6 years).

My own dilema isn't whether it 'needs' changing (with only 40k on it), but what happens with the Volvo Selekt warranty if I don't change it and I need to claim for anything vaguely engine related.

Anyway, it sounds like the Volvo technical advice has changed ?
No it hasn't they have untrained personnel giving out the wrong information ..
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 09:40   #15
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No it hasn't they have untrained personnel giving out the wrong information ..
And Volvo GBs own systems, on which the dealers give their advice, based on when they enter my or the OPs registration numbers...?

Seems exactly in line with the two premium German car manufacturers I worked for:-
Enter reg, tell customer manufacturer's recommendation.

Will try a third Volvo dealer in November when a service is due and see if their system still says 6 years for the PHEV 5 cylinder.

Last edited by Ulrikas PA; Jul 12th, 2022 at 09:45.
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 12:31   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
And Volvo GBs own systems, on which the dealers give their advice, based on when they enter my or the OPs registration numbers...?

Seems exactly in line with the two premium German car manufacturers I worked for:-
Enter reg, tell customer manufacturer's recommendation.

Will try a third Volvo dealer in November when a service is due and see if their system still says 6 years for the PHEV 5 cylinder.
they only read half the information you see.
the official change is 108000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first .
You might wonder where they get 6 years from ?

Well the 6th service is 108000 miles when you do 18000 miles a year , a lot of people do not .
So they have mis interpreted what it says on the screen in front of them they dont have the ability to think for themselves . They think 6th year = 108000 miles and apply it to all people regardless of mileage I assume !

You really must speak to the service manager or better still the dealer principle to prevent them ripping off other innocent customers .
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 14:04   #17
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
they only read half the information you see.
the official change is 108000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first .
You might wonder where they get 6 years from ?

Well the 6th service is 108000 miles when you do 18000 miles a year , a lot of people do not .
So they have mis interpreted what it says on the screen in front of them they dont have the ability to think for themselves . They think 6th year = 108000 miles and apply it to all people regardless of mileage I assume !

You really must speak to the service manager or better still the dealer principle to prevent them ripping off other innocent customers .
Will report back later in the year. I've no qualms about delaying any dealer recommended work - the Vehicle Condition Reports just smack of revenue generation, but I want to protect the mechanical warranty in case anything comes up that is hybrid related, and the Cam belt change decline gives them an easy get out.
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 14:18   #18
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Just to echo Clans claim above I replaced the belt on my 2012 after 80,000 miles and 6 years (I do it myself so it’s cheap even with genuine parts) and the original writing etc was all present and all looked as new.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 14:36   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Will report back later in the year. I've no qualms about delaying any dealer recommended work - the Vehicle Condition Reports just smack of revenue generation, but I want to protect the mechanical warranty in case anything comes up that is hybrid related, and the Cam belt change decline gives them an easy get out.
we are talking about the 5 cylinder engine here, you don't have the new generation 4 cylinder diesel do you? In which case the cam belt is 90,000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first ..
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 19:57   #20
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

The plug in hybrid diesel only came with the 5 cylinder engine.

Tags
cambelt change, hybrid, v60 awd