Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc60 D5 2009 random vibration after front tyres changed

Views : 1587

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2022, 08:32   #1
TheExplores

Default Xc60 D5 2009 random vibration after front tyres changed

I own a Volvo XC60 D5 2009, after replacing the front two tyres the car vibrates randomly at various speeds.

The new tyres are the exact same tyre size as the rear, just a different make. At any speed over 30 miles I get a random a vibration every so often, it’s unpleasant but only lasts a few seconds.

Front tyres : Pirelli scorpion verde P 235/60R18 107V new 10mm tread (the only correct size in stock)

Rear tyres : Avon ZX7 235/60R18 107V with almost 10mm of tread

I have had both wheels balanced twice at the garage I bought the tyres from and then again at another garage to check. I also had the wheel alignment done at the same time to see if that was the issue.

This issue wasn’t there before the new tyres, the old tyres were the same as the rear, I had a un-repairable puncher so decided to replace both fronts at the same time so to not mess with unbalanced issues ironically.

It still drives straight and true apart from the shudder.
Old Apr 28th, 2022, 09:45   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

Sometimes corrosion between the wheel and the hub can cause a little run out if the wheel is not put back in exactly the same position that it came off.

Take the wheels off and clean both the surfaces, put some copper slip on the surfaces to prevent further build up and put the wheels back on.
Old Apr 28th, 2022, 12:04   #3
TheExplores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
Sometimes corrosion between the wheel and the hub can cause a little run out if the wheel is not put back in exactly the same position that it came off.

Take the wheels off and clean both the surfaces, put some copper slip on the surfaces to prevent further build up and put the wheels back on.
Hey Whyman, thanks for your reply, I got them to wire brush the hubs and insides of both the wheels before they put them back.
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 09:13   #4
dhr90

Have you tried having the tyres swapped from front to rear?
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 09:52   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExplores View Post
I own a Volvo XC60 D5 2009, after replacing the front two tyres the car vibrates randomly at various speeds.

The new tyres are the exact same tyre size as the rear, just a different make. At any speed over 30 miles I get a random a vibration every so often, it’s unpleasant but only lasts a few seconds.

Front tyres : Pirelli scorpion verde P 235/60R18 107V new 10mm tread (the only correct size in stock)

Rear tyres : Avon ZX7 235/60R18 107V with almost 10mm of tread

I have had both wheels balanced twice at the garage I bought the tyres from and then again at another garage to check. I also had the wheel alignment done at the same time to see if that was the issue.

This issue wasn’t there before the new tyres, the old tyres were the same as the rear, I had a un-repairable puncher so decided to replace both fronts at the same time so to not mess with unbalanced issues ironically.

It still drives straight and true apart from the shudder.
have they torqued all the wheel bolts up to 140 nm ? INCLUDING the locking bolt?
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 13:49   #6
TheExplores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
have they torqued all the wheel bolts up to 140 nm ? INCLUDING the locking bolt?
Hey Clan, they didn’t torqued the lock nuts. Would that make a difference?
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 18:43   #7
TheExplores

So bit of an update, I swapped the tyres and put the new tyres on the back. I also torqued all the wheel nuts to the same amount. However the vibration is now worse, so will be putting the new ones back on the front.

Question, the new tyres not only feel noticeably heavier, the circumference is 3cm bigger. Now this is only a 10mm ish increase in diameter, but would the weight and the extra diameter be enough to mess with the haldex?
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 21:53   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hey Clan, they didn’t torqued the lock nuts. Would that make a difference?
Yes , volvo had a problem with brakes vibrating and issued a service bulletin ,and it was found to be the locking nuts not done up to the correct 140 nm torque so unequal clamping . your fault seems tyre related though .
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 22:36   #9
TheExplores

Thanks for that, that makes sense.

I did find a bit of info about the front tyres, some people say they vibrate if the psi is below 40psi as they apparently have foam inserts to reduce noise. I just checked and they say they should be between 40psi and 50psi. Some over volvo owners say by going up to 40psi fixed there issue.

I’ll give that a go tomorrow and hope that fixes it. I would rather not have to buy another set for the back if I can help it.

Appreciate your getting back to me. We love our volvo, only had it 6 months, hoping it’s going to last a while.
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 08:23   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
So bit of an update, I swapped the tyres and put the new tyres on the back. I also torqued all the wheel nuts to the same amount. However the vibration is now worse, so will be putting the new ones back on the front.

Question, the new tyres not only feel noticeably heavier, the circumference is 3cm bigger. Now this is only a 10mm ish increase in diameter, but would the weight and the extra diameter be enough to mess with the haldex?
No, the haldex/AOC coupling will be fine if it is healthy…

Interesting you describe the new tyres feel heavier - what can happen is due to an electrical or mechanical fault with the haldex, it “locks up”, this can be almost undetectable if the tyres are well matched but if they’re not then it causes significant tension in the drivetrain and makes the car feel heavy. It can also cause rapid wear and damage in the gearbox, angle drive and rear differential. Sometimes referred to as “wind up”, it is very rare and unusual but can happen.

To check, find a quiet car park to mess about in and do some tight turns at just above walking pace both going forwards and reverse. If the car feels “tight” as though the brakes might be binding - switch off and pull the fuse(s) for the AWD system and try again - if there is a significant difference - you likely have a locked up AOC. But I say again - it’s most unusual.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new tyres, vibration