Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just bought a V60 D6 Hybrid - Love it!

Views : 1686

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2022, 21:45   #1
motor84

Default Just bought a V60 D6 Hybrid - Love it!

Dear all, I'm new to this forum and new to Volvos. I have owned some 20 BMWs and loved them. But thought I would try a Volvo and WOW, great car. I think I am converted! The V60 has to be one of the best looking estate cars.

I have been running the D6 now for a week and its a great car. Buzzing around town on the electric motor is very satisfying. The car is super comfortable and nice to drive. Very well made.

So as I embark on my new Volvo journey and I have 2 questions. I wonder if any fellow D6 owners can help.

1. If I want to charge the car at a public charge point, do I need a different cable? I have the standard 3 pin home charge cable. And can I plug into any type of charger at service stations and car parks? (yes, I am also new to EV cars).

2. I have downloaded the Volvo app, but it does nothing. I think I need a VOC subscription? How do I get one? Google search for sign up brings up nothing. I have registered the car etc but still nothing. What are the extra steps?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am going to book it into Volvo and I guess they can help, but too keen to get it all working!

Cheers
Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1240.jpg (394.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1237.jpg (415.0 KB, 44 views)
motor84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 00:11   #2
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Welcome to the wacky world of the V60 diesel hybrid ! I had a similar path to mine (in January) after lots of Audi, VW, Skoda etc.

You've asked pretty much the only questions that I can't offer a view on. I haven't bothered charging publicly because I am in a habit of charging it at home every night. I also tried to get the Volvo app working for the timer preconditioning but gave up and will have another go before the winter !

I lreally like the V60 after 6 months. There are a few compromises like most cars, but in my view it makes a decent effort at 3 or 4 cars in one.

+ My average has been 70mpg, with a tank best of 138.8 (Lots of daily charging there)
+ Glides around nicely with a range of 22-24 m typically
+ Plenty quick enough in Power mode (mine is a Polestar D5 which = your D6)
+ The size is handy
+ Switchable AWD
+ Learning about Save and when to go With the various modes.

Dislikes:-
- When the cold diesel engine cuts in after using all the electric charge. It's rough !
- Sometimes rides a bit stiffly on rough surfaces (to keep the battery weight in check)
- Thought it would sound more like a 20v 5 cylinder Ur Audi quattro when gunned !
- Usual diesel MPG when the battery is exhausted on longer trips.

Overall:-
A very likeable schizophrenic character. Great value as a used car.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 07:35   #3
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
- Thought it would sound more like a 20v 5 cylinder Ur Audi quattro when gunned !
That did make me laugh!

To the OP - welcome to Volvo
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 08:41   #4
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easington View Post
That did make me laugh!
It's ok though - I can still wind my windows down in my old Impreza Turbo
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 08:53   #5
motor84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
Welcome to the wacky world of the V60 diesel hybrid ! I had a similar path to mine (in January) after lots of Audi, VW, Skoda etc.

You've asked pretty much the only questions that I can't offer a view on. I haven't bothered charging publicly because I am in a habit of charging it at home every night. I also tried to get the Volvo app working for the timer preconditioning but gave up and will have another go before the winter !

I lreally like the V60 after 6 months. There are a few compromises like most cars, but in my view it makes a decent effort at 3 or 4 cars in one.

+ My average has been 70mpg, with a tank best of 138.8 (Lots of daily charging there)
+ Glides around nicely with a range of 22-24 m typically
+ Plenty quick enough in Power mode (mine is a Polestar D5 which = your D6)
+ The size is handy
+ Switchable AWD
+ Learning about Save and when to go With the various modes.

Dislikes:-
- When the cold diesel engine cuts in after using all the electric charge. It's rough !
- Sometimes rides a bit stiffly on rough surfaces (to keep the battery weight in check)
- Usual diesel MPG when the battery is exhausted on longer trips.

Overall:-
A very likeable schizophrenic character. Great value as a used car.
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to know its still good after 6 months! Agreed on value for what it is. I wanted a Hybrid, but didn't want to have a Toyota or Honda for similar money. The Volvo quality is far superior. With its switchable driving modes and optional AWD, its just perfect for us.

200 miles into the first tank of fuel with some very varied driving. Lots of town on electric, but also a 120 mile round trip with a bike on the roof and its at 70mpg. 350 miles range left I think. Amazing!

I will contact Volvo regarding the app. I see lovely screen shots online of being able to set preconditioning and perhaps check battery charge on the car? But I don't see any of that.

I also am keen to learn how best to use the Save function. I had it on Save for my longer motorway trip. I noticed it still pulled away from standstill with electric, but then the ICE kicked in quickly. Makes sense. I guess any battery powered used for that is then replaced with regen?

Also your point on the size. Yes, its perfect. Not too big, not too small.

Last edited by motor84; Jul 11th, 2022 at 09:24.
The Following User Says Thank You to motor84 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 11:03   #6
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

My only three tips (as I'm still a novice compared with other owners) are -

1. Try and have enough battery range left for proper urban stuff and then use Pure. It stops the engine clatter coming in at low speed, when you can hear it.
2. Watch the horizontal bar and pointer in the right gauge if in sport mode on the screen and use the throttle to keep it below the line to stop the engine cutting in .
3. Save only saves 12 miles and (even though your fully charged range is over 20), so you can play around with it.

And
4. If going down a steepish hill rest you foot on the brake to give more back to the battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 15:48   #7
motor84

Update. Just spoke to Volvo. The subscription for my car has been dormant for more than 6 months. They say I need to take it to a dealer for them to manually reconnect it. No other way apparently. Had it not been so long, the guy said he could have connected it up over the phone. The subscription is £35 a year.

So I will be taking it into Volvo ASAP!

The number I called is 01628 422 522
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 01:10   #8
NSR

Congrats to dipping your toe into the water and taking the step towards electrification; after two years of owning my V60 D6 (and loving every day driving it) I've plunged to full electric.

Some tips:
Whenever you get the chance and start your day, have the car preconditioned. This not only means you get into a cool or warm car depending on the season, but it should warm the battery and yield better performance and lifespan. You'll need to plug in for this and until you get VoC you can schedule using the button on the left stalk.

When you do get VoC, stick with the old version (usually asks when you first install it). By all means investigate it but once your subscription starts you'll probably find the legacy mode more functional, especially the preconditioning.

If you're planning a long trip that exceeds the battery, put it in AWD for a minute or two to at least warm the engine a little.... it's still an engine and no engine would be happy starting from cold to 4000rpm. It could help your engine last longer, at least minimise problems. Then drive in hybrid mode and the mpg should look after itself.

Get a type-2 home charger while you can still get a grant. Get an untethered option so at least you just need to replace the cables if it fails. You can also use the cable in public charges.

Get Zap Map and Pod Point, which if you can look carefully and plan accordingly, you'll find free places to charge.

Get a Volvo service when it's due and if last serviced by Volvo, ask for the Volvo Assist to be transferred. Volvo Assist is breakdown recovery, which when you get reconnected can be activated by the buttons above the rear view mirror. If your six year service will be due soon and if you're nowhere near the 108k mileage then press for a regular service rather than getting the timing belt changed. It'll be done at 10 years or 108k miles whatever comes first.

Do take care throwing it around...while it's very sure footed, under steer comes quick as it's a very heavy car.

Enjoy it and savour each drive, you'll miss it when it's gone!
NSR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NSR For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 06:59   #9
motor84

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR View Post
Congrats to dipping your toe into the water and taking the step towards electrification; after two years of owning my V60 D6 (and loving every day driving it) I've plunged to full electric.

Some tips:
Whenever you get the chance and start your day, have the car preconditioned. This not only means you get into a cool or warm car depending on the season, but it should warm the battery and yield better performance and lifespan. You'll need to plug in for this and until you get VoC you can schedule using the button on the left stalk.

When you do get VoC, stick with the old version (usually asks when you first install it). By all means investigate it but once your subscription starts you'll probably find the legacy mode more functional, especially the preconditioning.

If you're planning a long trip that exceeds the battery, put it in AWD for a minute or two to at least warm the engine a little.... it's still an engine and no engine would be happy starting from cold to 4000rpm. It could help your engine last longer, at least minimise problems. Then drive in hybrid mode and the mpg should look after itself.

Get a type-2 home charger while you can still get a grant. Get an untethered option so at least you just need to replace the cables if it fails. You can also use the cable in public charges.

Get Zap Map and Pod Point, which if you can look carefully and plan accordingly, you'll find free places to charge.

Get a Volvo service when it's due and if last serviced by Volvo, ask for the Volvo Assist to be transferred. Volvo Assist is breakdown recovery, which when you get reconnected can be activated by the buttons above the rear view mirror. If your six year service will be due soon and if you're nowhere near the 108k mileage then press for a regular service rather than getting the timing belt changed. It'll be done at 10 years or 108k miles whatever comes first.

Do take care throwing it around...while it's very sure footed, under steer comes quick as it's a very heavy car.

Thanks NSR, great advice. I've not used the preconditioning yet. Waiting to get set up with the app. I am booked in with Volvo for a full service and to reconnect the app. They did indeed say I need to get the timing belt done, but I will swerve that one.

Home charger is on the cards. A quick Google brought up the Pod Point charger as maybe being the right one. I will investigate further.

I had not thought about your point about the engine kicking in at 4000rpm cold. Very good point. I will make that a habit.

Agreed on the handling. Its very nice but I did feel the weight a few times in fast corners. Its no sports car, so I will not be thrashing it.

Enjoying it immensely so far. Looking forward to many miles.

My next decision will be tyres. Its got Michelin Primacy fitted now, but I did have Michelin Cross Climates on a Quattro Audi I once owned and they were great. I guess it depends on main usage and also now MPG!
Old Jul 15th, 2022, 13:41   #10
motor84

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR View Post

Some tips:

NSR, Can I ask which charger you had installed? Did you charge your V60 with it? Or just your new full EV car? Is it a 3.6Kw or 7Kw charger?