Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Genuine Volvo Oil

Views : 1326

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 6th, 2022, 21:01   #1
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Default Genuine Volvo Oil

Decided to do an interim oil change so purchased genuine filter/washer and 6l of 0/30 oil.

Easy enough job but when it came to filling back up with 'exactly 5.8l' as suggested on here I noticed that a complete fekwit has designed the plastic bottles that Volvo's oil comes in.

Was delivered as a 4l and 2x 1l bottles. Great I thought just get all the 4l in and all of the first 1l bottles then leave 200ml in the last bottle. There are graduation markings on the side of the bottle so I thought easy just down to last 2 markings yeah?

Well actually some tit has thought it a good idea to divide a 1l bottle into 9 markings! FFS. Luckily I counted them first. Are they deliberately trying to trip people up?

The level was only a pencil line thickness above the ninth mark as delivered btw before anyone suggests the first 100ml is above the top mark it definitely is not.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 23:51   #2
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

The tenth line is the oil level in the bottle normally or was it topped out at the ninth mark?

Is yours a petrol or a 5 cyl? I ask as I thought the derv was 5L to fill, also account for the remaining old oil in the engine still, I'd go for 5.5L to start with and see what the dash reader says, slightly under is better than slightly over imo,

Think of the seals!
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 23:56   #3
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
The tenth line is the oil level in the bottle normally or was it topped out at the ninth mark?

Is yours a petrol or a 5 cyl? I ask as I thought the derv was 5L to fill, also account for the remaining old oil in the engine still, I'd go for 5.5L to start with and see what the dash reader says, slightly under is better than slightly over imo,

Think of the seals!
Bottle was filled to just above 9th mark. Car is 5cyl diesel. I have a proper dipstick fitted and it's reading just over half way up the XXXXX markings after adding 5.8 litres. Won't have been any significant old oil left as front was up on ramps and left for 45mins to drain hot oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to RDesign4Life For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 00:04   #4
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
Bottle was filled to just above 9th mark. Car is 5cyl diesel. I have a proper dipstick fitted and it's reading just over half way up the XXXXX markings after adding 5.8 litres. Won't have been any significant old oil left as front was up on ramps and left for 45mins to drain hot oil.
It needs to settle before you can get a real reading, drive it a bit to get it warm then walk away from it for an hour or so, that will give you the correct level reading, hth.
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 09:26   #5
Stroudy

I'm getting the oil level low fill with 0.5l mesage so need to top it up. Since the oil was last made full at its service i've done about 7.5k miles in 6 months, so presumably on the D4 (2014) engines thats seen as quite good? Couldn't get hold of the 'approved' Castrol for love nor money though so went for the Euro Car Parts recommended Mobil 3000 Formula VC 0W-20 instead.
Stroudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 14:44   #6
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroudy View Post
I'm getting the oil level low fill with 0.5l mesage so need to top it up. Since the oil was last made full at its service i've done about 7.5k miles in 6 months, so presumably on the D4 (2014) engines thats seen as quite good? Couldn't get hold of the 'approved' Castrol for love nor money though so went for the Euro Car Parts recommended Mobil 3000 Formula VC 0W-20 instead.
All Volvo dealers usually hold stock and I believe even Halfords sell it?

If you say you need 0W/20 I guess you have a 2.0 4 cylinder VEA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313328285311?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324049984063?

Last edited by RDesign4Life; Aug 9th, 2022 at 14:53.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 09:52   #7
Stroudy

Thanks for the info and links. Needed it next day and only for a top up so went for the ECP Mobil. Will have a look at these for when i need to change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
All Volvo dealers usually hold stock and I believe even Halfords sell it?

If you say you need 0W/20 I guess you have a 2.0 4 cylinder VEA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313328285311?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324049984063?
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 10:00   #8
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Thanks for the info and links. Needed it next day and only for a top up so went for the ECP Mobil. Will have a look at these for when i need to change.
Be careful buying oil and adblue online, at least when you buy physically you know where it came from, the Mobil is the best deal from ECP imo, I say be careful because you can end up with the wrong grade oil in a container that suggests it's the correct oil, an example, a mate once bought a Star Wars DVD set from eBay all just like what you'd see in HMV until 3 unlabelled silver discs arrived with Star Wars scribbled on them in marker pen.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 14:52   #9
Stroudy

Ha, unlucky Star Wars purchase This oil looks perfectly legit so all good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Be careful buying oil and adblue online, at least when you buy physically you know where it came from, the Mobil is the best deal from ECP imo, I say be careful because you can end up with the wrong grade oil in a container that suggests it's the correct oil, an example, a mate once bought a Star Wars DVD set from eBay all just like what you'd see in HMV until 3 unlabelled silver discs arrived with Star Wars scribbled on them in marker pen.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 15:00   #10
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Ha, unlucky Star Wars purchase This oil looks perfectly legit so all good.
99% of the time it will be but there's always one who will sell you fresh out of the tap adblue or some multigrade from the 1970 branded as 5/30 only suitable for a BL Maxi 1800, Peckham Blue ISO123456