Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pre-facelift headlights fitting Facelift v70

Views : 2053

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2018, 23:34   #1
SandyVol

Default Pre-facelift headlights fitting Facelift v70

Hi guys,

One of my headlights keeps clouding on the outside rapidly, I've noticed that the pre-facelift glass units are cheap and won't be prone (?) to this annoying habit.

Can the glass one be swapped in?

Cheers,
SandyVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 00:43   #2
oragex
Premier Member

I would guess they wont fit easily but wait for more feedback. Facelift ones are of terrible quality all around plus at least the low beams use a different bulb type and connector - not to mention they eat fingers at breakfast when the bulbs need replaced.
Old May 24th, 2018, 07:51   #3
SandyVol

From what I gathered after more research:

In terms of 'body' fitting it's fairly straightforward, in terms of electrical, it ain't!

Is there such thing as a loom adapter?!
Old May 24th, 2018, 09:36   #4
aland

Electrical side should be possible by cutting / soldering / heatshrink - as long as far enough away from the bulb holder that the heat doesn't affect the heatshrink !!

Past: V70 D5, 855 T5, 940, V40 T4, S40
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 11:42   #5
reggit
Premier Member

From what I remember reading from people putting facelift lights in pre-facelift cars, it's a reasonable easy re-wire as said, but the height adjuster works in reverse (ie down for up and up for down)
Old May 24th, 2018, 20:01   #6
SandyVol

Excellent, thanks guys, I will get searching for a pair of glass oldies. Cheers!

I will update the thread with pics and progress
The Following User Says Thank You to SandyVol For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2018, 00:07   #7
oragex
Premier Member

Glass ones are the thing plus it will save your fingers

But I wonder if the light beam was strong enough compared to the later facelift ones. I know quite a few people have complained about this.
Old May 25th, 2018, 07:47   #8
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Beware of leaks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Glass ones are the thing plus it will save your fingers

But I wonder if the light beam was strong enough compared to the later facelift ones. I know quite a few people have complained about this.
If you fit something like Osram Nightbreakers Unlimited the light output is pretty good as long as the reflectors are in reasonable condition. It's worth trying to get hold of a pair of the slightly later rear covers which have a piece of Gortex within them to let water vapour out - the P2 glass lens seal can fail/leak which lets water get inside the light unit which causes condensation to form on the glass. If you can't get the later covers, drill a 10mm hole in the rear of the cover and glue a bit of gortex or thinsulate across it - same effect and a great way to make use of an old breathable anorak

If you do get leaks, rather than trying to dry the unit out with a hair dryer or similar, just run the car around for a few days with the rear cover removed....the water evaporates. Don't be tempted to take the unit apart and dry the reflector by hand, the mirror surface is so thin you will almost certainly dull the surface.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 21:18   #9
SandyVol

Bringing up an old thread: so I bought sombre-facelift glass headlights. Now what will be easier: Retro fitting the whole pre-facelift unit or, heating the facelift and pre-facelift units and switching the glass onto the facelift lamps?

Would that work?
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 23:37   #10
Sojournermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyVol View Post
Bringing up an old thread: so I bought sombre-facelift glass headlights. Now what will be easier: Retro fitting the whole pre-facelift unit or, heating the facelift and pre-facelift units and switching the glass onto the facelift lamps?

Would that work?
I’m interested in the sombre-facelift - that launch must had quite an unusual party

I’d suspect that the pre facelift glass won’t work well with the later reflector, as iirc it’s a fresnel lens and will spread the light too thinly

Mike
Sojournermike is offline   Reply With Quote