Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus Map Update problem

Views : 34154

Replies : 163

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2018, 20:37   #41
Rex65

Are you downloading directly to the USB or to computer first?
Old May 10th, 2018, 21:25   #42
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
Hi MikeGMT, I really appreciate your help and patience, (and everyone else). I've erased and formatted the USB stick twice today using a different format each time, ending up doing it to EX Fat. I have verified the downloads which said they were correct. Sadly no luck, the car's system does not react to the insertion of the USB stick. The USB port in the car is fine because my I pod works fine when it is plugged in. Sadly the web page I am going to at Volvo UK does not have any image of the globe you mention which is there amongst my cars console buttons. The car is a MY 2016 and as such the image on Volvo's site does not match the script underneath it. I have downloaded Sensus Update MCA Europe. I'm stopping this now until I hear from Volvo UK tech support in response to the case that has been created at their end.
This is the page on Volvo's web site I am going to and you will be able to see, there doesn't appear to be a globe on any of the images on that page, so I have to go on the dates mentioned on the script underneath the images. I've actually tried a couple of them. Who knows what is going on!

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...d-<br /> maps
No problem, we'll get that new map on your car one way or another.
Top row, 1st on the left is the correct one. You can just see the globe symbol on the image on the righthand side, not too distinct as they have cropped the image.
You need to format the USB to MS-DOS (FAT32)
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2018, 22:57   #43
1monkey600

I see the problem. The photos on the website seem to have 'zoomed in' compared to previous times I have been there, perhaps during a website update?
The one with the globe (as also used on my MY16 xc70) is the 2013 one (i.e. Top left picture of all the various options)

ExFAT is NOT the same as FAT32. On your Mac > ms-dos(fat) IS the same as FAT32
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1monkey600 For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2018, 07:24   #44
Mick787

Thanks for visiting their site 1monkey600, have you read the text underneath those images? The text implies that the correct software for my car would be the middle image of the three. Once you select that and read the vehicle types it relates to, it is obviously not, because the image is obviously not fitted in my car. It really is a mish mash, I have no idea of what they have done. If you then read the instructions on the right of the page, as a Mac user, it is utter rubbish.
Check the Volvo web site is correct for your Country by going to the bottom of the page and ensuring it is, (for example), Volvo UK. One of the times I went on it, it was actually Volvo South Africa.
Their site appears to have been 'updated' by someone who was as high as a kite at the time. I hope you will agree with me that it has obviously not been checked before going live.
I'm still waiting for contact from Volvo UK tech. Fantastic customer service...NOT.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 15:55   #45
calderstone

Default Sensus map problem

As a Mac user, loading map updates is problematic. I have tried formatting the memory stick as MSDOS (FAT32) and as XFAT neither result in a successful loading of the update. Any suggestions would be welcome.
calderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 17:05   #46
Mick787

Calderstone, may I suggest you liaise directly with Volvo UK Customer Service? I finally gave up doing the various methods listed on the forum and I have highlighted all the issue(s) I have been experiencing to them. Plus then, to top it all, the method the main dealership service staff told me to do did not work.
Volvo UK customer service staff say they have also been unable to download the latest update using a Mac, we are not alone!
I could copy a part of their correspondence to me, but I don't want anyone to get into trouble.
It appears Volvo Sweden is not being that helpful either. I have made the suggestion to Volvo UK staff, that perhaps as a part of the annual servicing schedule, then their main dealerships could provide the sat nav map updates as part of the service schedule foc as a way of saying 'thank you' to their loyal customers.
I should add, that Volvo UK staff have provided a personal solution to the case that was raised and as a result my car is currently updating the maps as I type. I have thanked them and advised that this method is really not the best way forward for Volvo UK.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick787 For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2018, 22:51   #47
NigelDay
Premier Member

I've never had a problem with using my Mac for the download process. I download to the HD, then transfer across to a newly-formatted (FAT) 32Gb Kingston USB. Use MS-DOS (FAT) - this is FAT-32 in Windows world. It has never failed to work first time.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 18:26   #48
xsaab
Master Member

Same experience as NigelDay re Volvo map update and Macs
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 19:01   #49
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
I've never had a problem with using my Mac for the download process. I download to the HD, then transfer across to a newly-formatted (FAT) 32Gb Kingston USB. Use MS-DOS (FAT) - this is FAT-32 in Windows world. It has never failed to work first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
Same experience as NigelDay re Volvo map update and Macs
As above, done 3 updates now on a Mac with no hiccups.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 08:29   #50
844PHW
Master Member

It works for me from a Mac. Be careful to use FAT32 not ExFAT when formatting the USB stick. I have established from experience that the latter does not work for this job.
The Following User Says Thank You to 844PHW For This Useful Post: