Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Not a Volvo but help needed with a car purchase.

Views : 2544

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2018, 16:54   #21
Swedefarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I hope this one is less troublesome!
It has been superb, the odd niggle but all sorted with a little foam tape in the door card.

Sadly some other unfortunate soul seems to have taken on that 9-5.
Swedefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swedefarm For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2018, 18:39   #22
capt jack
VOC Member

A Saab 9-3 is a darn good car. I had one (a 56-reg) 1.9TiD auto saloon that'd been chipped to 175bhp.

It had a terrific turn of acceleration, and served me well for around 60,000 miles.

When my daily commute was 60+ miles I was easily topping 50mpg average, and so the main reason for changing was that I changed job to an office just 6 miles away. This meant that the Saab's diesel engine never even really warmed up, and so I started to get erratic DPF regens and mpg figures in the low to mid thirties.

In the time that I had it my 9-3 proved to be a reliable and economical car. Downsides for me were that the rear cabin was a bit cramped, and the car was I always thought a bit noisy - not the engine, but road noise from the low profile tyres and 17" wheels.

Nonetheless, I think that a Saab 9-3 is a very good car, a bit different to anything else on the road, and all the better for that.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 10:56   #23
Swedefarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
A Saab 9-3 is a darn good car. I had one (a 56-reg) 1.9TiD auto saloon that'd been chipped to 175bhp.

It had a terrific turn of acceleration, and served me well for around 60,000 miles.

When my daily commute was 60+ miles I was easily topping 50mpg average, and so the main reason for changing was that I changed job to an office just 6 miles away. This meant that the Saab's diesel engine never even really warmed up, and so I started to get erratic DPF regens and mpg figures in the low to mid thirties.

In the time that I had it my 9-3 proved to be a reliable and economical car. Downsides for me were that the rear cabin was a bit cramped, and the car was I always thought a bit noisy - not the engine, but road noise from the low profile tyres and 17" wheels.

Nonetheless, I think that a Saab 9-3 is a very good car, a bit different to anything else on the road, and all the better for that.

Jack
I have to agree with every word, it really is at home on the motorway, me and the other half are planning on a drive to Spain or the South of France.

A little rattle from here and there but other than that, she runs sweet and even in factory map it pulls brilliant in mid range.
Swedefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 15:10   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

About 15 years ago, i had the dubious pleasure of taking a Saab 9-3 TiD convertible from one part of the country to another.

At that point i hadn't owned a Saab but later owned a 1986 900i. The 9-3 rag-top was awful and would have put me off Saabs for life. It was only a year or two old at the time but felt, drove and went like it was about 32 years old, 25 of which it had been neglected for.

Obviously out of the same mould as the original one this thread was about!

The 900i on the other hand was a really good car, although a bit thirsty for the use i put it to. Drove well, went well and was reliable, i do prefer Volvos though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 18:31   #25
biggbn
I've Been Banned

...yet my 9-3 convertible was one of the very best cars I have owned.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 20:03   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
...yet my 9-3 convertible was one of the very best cars I have owned.
Funny thing was George, there were 3 of us that day, each driving a 9-3TiD convertible. First fuel stop i swapped with my mate to get a feel for the other car as he had said it was a lot better. It was as well!

We didn't get very far before he was flashing me to swap back!

Similar thing, this time in 3 L-R Discoverys - all 2.5 TDI autos. That day i got the best one and they were all fueled up before we left.

Bearing in mind, both different types of vehicles were built during troublesome times for the companies concerned, it's highly probable a few lemons snuck through the various QC processes.

As for the 900i that i owned, if it had just been me at the time i would have been quite happy with it. I was married though with 3 young step-kids so needed the 740 estate, especially with the extra seats in the back! Helped prevent many munchkin arguments!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 18th, 2018, 20:31   #27
biggbn
I've Been Banned

I have owned, I think, every interpretation of c900, and agree, separate, unique, drivers cars. O loved them and used to exclusively own old Saab or Volvo. My 93 was an 07 with the big v6 turbo and it had no squeaks or rattles and was hundred per cent faithful. Still prefer older saabs, owned a 99 and three v4, now they are huge fun.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2018, 20:46   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Wasn't the V6 turbo the same engine as Vauxhall had so much trouble in the Vectra with? Yet they are highly rated in Saabs!

The other reason, besides needing more space, i changed the 900i that i had was i couldn't get on with the pedals, offset too much to the left. Other than that and i wasn't keen on the wrap-around windscreen i couldn't really fault it, apart from the economy or lack of.

Old May 18th, 2018, 20:59   #29
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Pretty sure the 1.9 diesel in those SAABs is a Fiat engine, same as the vauxhalls.
Old May 18th, 2018, 21:01   #30
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

We have run several Saabs concurrently with Volvo and our experience has generally been good. My '99 9-5 estate was a worthy alternative to a 945, just as Linda's 9000 is to a 964/S90.

My first 9-3, a '99 convertible which I bought as an alternative to a C70, while basically OK, suffered from 'scuttle shake' and was noisy. The main problem was weeping hydraulic rams which rendered the hood operation problematic. I suspect that this was the model that 'Laird Scooby' drove as it remained current until '02. Replacement rams being prohibitively expensive, we decided to cut our losses and put the money towards an '06 model. This was totally re engineered, is much more pleasant to drive and has a vastly superior hood.

None of the cars were bought new, but all (except the first 9-3) were relatively low mileage / ownership with good service histories. Perhaps we have been fortunate, but this approach to car purchase works for us. As this thread illustrates, there are good and bad examples of every marque. Any used car purchase is in essence a bit of a gamble; the most that one can do is attempt to minimise the risks involved.

I'm pleased that 'Swedefarm' has reached a satisfactory conclusion and wish him many happy miles in his new Saab. He may be assured that they are also very strong cars in the event of an accident. My late MIL's '95 900 (bought as a replacement for her 360) probably saved her life when it was struck by a wagon on the A50 and spun into the Armco at 50 - 60 MPH.

Regards, John.