Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230K engine conversion to B230FT

Views : 4523

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 09:07   #1
EYB

Question B230K engine conversion to B230FT

Hi

Will I encounter problems in converting a Solex Cisac B230K engine to a B230FT (turbo/intercooler/injected) engine? A totalled donor vehicle with an intact B230FT engine is willing to part with his cylinder head with pistons/con rods, exhaust manifold with turbo, oil pan with return hose, intercooler with brackets, shroud, all ductings, electrical wirings/harness, computer box, intake manifold and throttle body.

My concerns are in the electrical system (fixed crank position sensor, elctronic ignition coil, etc.) of the B230K engine. Is this project doable?

On the other hand, does a AQ-125 Volvo Penta dual intake manifold fit the head of my B230 engine and what Weber model will fit on the manifold?

dindo
EYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 11:21   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Have a read of this:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=49918

This might answer your questions - if not ask again and I will try to help as I have done a similair conversion.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 11:22   #3
EYB

Cool B230k To B230ft Conversion

Hi Mike

Thanks for the response. I just gone over the forum as you told me so, unfortunately it did not answer all my concerns. Thank God you said the project is doable.

Since I am in the Philippines and the donor vehicle/engine is in the US, being a Left Hand Drive vehicle, the concern of space between the steering column and the turbo is the least of my worries.

I think what I need now is the complete list of the parts to make this project work. Are you kind enough to email me this list? As I read thru the forums, I realize that I miss out the intank fuel pump, ignition coil, etc. that is needed for the FI.

Assuming that I have the parts complete, I think I would require schematics of the electrical system.

To summarize, if you say that this project is doable, (I also have a friend/electrician). Let me have the parts list so I can have it shipped right away.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 14:02   #4
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

As your car is left hand drive there should be no major problems on the instal. Your donor car should provide you with the complete engine and box. The turbo box is stronger assuming it is a manual box - you will need to swap the gear remote and gearbox mounting bracket. You will need the engine complete with all its sensors and wiring loom which needs removing back to ecu and just cut off wires from ecu that are not required. You will need the intercooler from the donor and you will need to replace the air filter with a sports one and relocate the washer bottle. if you need i could supply further photos of the engine bay to help you. The mechanical side of things is fairly straightforward and if you have any querties these should be easily answered. With regards electrics though we used the Volvo factory Green Book service manuals for both the donor and recipient cars and worked out where and how to connect in the new loom. Fortunately the colours of the wires are pretty standard between the two which makes it easier. It was a few years ago that I'd did this and carefully connected and loomed it all up tidily so it would be difficult for me to say what we did and where. It would have been nearly impossible without the Green Books.

Mike

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 02:52   #5
EYB

Default B230K to B230FT CONVERSION

Hi Mike

thanks for the reply. i just need some clarifications. what do you mean by I the "box", "turbo box", "gear remote", "gearbox mounting bracket". Are you refering to the transmission? Is this part somewhat bulky? By the way, my B230K has an AT.

Where can I source the Volvo green book service manuals for both K and FT models? Should you have these both, would it be very inconvenient on your part to request a scanned/emailed copy?

I agree that the mechanical side would be very straight forward, what is critical is the electrical aspect. And yes, I must agree, photos will do help a lot.

dindo
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:54   #6
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYB View Post
Hi Mike

Where can I source the Volvo green book service manuals for both K and FT models? Should you have these both, would it be very inconvenient on your part to request a scanned/emailed copy?

dindo
The manuals are published in sections - Engine B230K, B230F, Fuel Injection, Wiring, some running to 300ish pages. It's not really the sort of thing someone could scan when they have a few minutes to spare.

Although Mike's a nice bloke - you never know.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 09:43   #7
EYB

Default B230K to B230FT conversion

Hi Glen

Can you advise me where I can buy these manuals?
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 17:30   #8
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYB View Post
Hi Glen

Can you advise me where I can buy these manuals?

https://volvotechinfo.com/index.cfm

Although I'm getting a security certificate error on that site, so be careful if you are trying to order online - maybe contact Volvo USA to check.

Last edited by Glen Morangie; Jan 18th, 2008 at 17:32.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 18:57   #9
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

In the manual for the 740 turbo there are only a few pages relevant to the engine wiring. The manual is for a 1985 and there may possibly be slight variations for different years. As this is a carburetor car all wiring will basically be needed from scratch using the circuits as shown on the 740 diagram.
With the fuel pumps you would be best off getting these from a 240 with mechanical injection (better fuel pumps) as well as fuel lines (high pressure + return) and as the wiring for them is already in place in the vehicle (I should have wiring diagram for the mechanical injection as well)
If you are wanting these scanned I can probably mange this for you but will find the books and see if my daughter has time to scan them. Will see what I can do.
One other issue - the automatic transmission should take power ok but you will need to sort out about a flywheel for the auto unless the donor car is an auto which will be the easiest way. With the autobox however it will only take standard power. You will not be able to up the boost pressure, chip the ecu with this set up.

Mike

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 03:13   #10
EYB

Default B230K to B230FT conversion

Thanks Glen, you are right, there is a security certificate error. I just don't want to take the risk. Do you have other options regarding its source?