Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 Sunroof Issue? Won't open but motor is going?

Views : 1134

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 21:29   #1
Paddy94

Default S40 Sunroof Issue? Won't open but motor is going?

Hey guys.

Went to look at a used S40 R Design today, absolutely lovely car but the only main flaw was that the sunroof doesn't seem to want to open?

Pressing the button forward or back, the motor can be heard whiring away but it won't budge. Any ideas what this might be? Stripped cogs? Broken...something?

Another thing...The seller said he'd had the immobilizer updated and the battery replaced...could this be the issue or does that sound like more problems lurking underneath someplace?
Paddy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 14:55   #2
iainmd

Suspect the teeth are stripped on the plastic gears in the sunroof mechanism. Likely an expensive fix.

"Immobilizer updated" sounds odd. You can have the car's ECU and software modules updated at a Volvo dealer but that particular language used by the seller sounds strange.

Personally I would say that if you want a working sunroof, walk and look elsewhere.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 15:02   #3
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Even if a working sunroof doesn't interest, a non working one will be a pain when the drain holes eventually block and start leaking into the car.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 21:28   #4
Paddy94

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
Suspect the teeth are stripped on the plastic gears in the sunroof mechanism. Likely an expensive fix.

"Immobilizer updated" sounds odd. You can have the car's ECU and software modules updated at a Volvo dealer but that particular language used by the seller sounds strange.

Personally I would say that if you want a working sunroof, walk and look elsewhere.
I thought it sounded odd about the immobilizer thing, but he did have the car in at the local dealer for work and a full inspection. So I suspect they maybe updated something there.
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 22:12   #5
Paddy94

Back on the sunroof...surely not that water much would be able to leak or get in when the sunroof is sealed shut? Looking at it, it was sealed up pretty tight it seems.

From what I've seen, unclogging the drains could be done with the sunroof closed anyway, am I right? Pull off a pillar trim, disconnect piping and blow out/clean the piping? Not ideal, but possible?

Last edited by Paddy94; Nov 23rd, 2018 at 22:15.
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 22:55   #6
andy_d
Premier Member

as the drains clog up With the roof closed, it will matter
as the roof wont open, you wont be able to clean out the debris In there, which clog the drains up or pour water directly into them to flush out the bits in the pipe when you have taken the A pillar trims off delt with the stupid elbow and POS thing on the end of the pipe,,
the CEM will get wet / soaked, the front foot well carpets will be soaked, the CEM will give you all sorts of electrical issues with the car, cause multi random error messages and dtc's stored potentially costing you £££££££ replacing the parts allegedly faulty, ,,,

as for the "Immobilizer updated" bullshtit
its there its a factory fit item , end of if it

unless the car is 100% perfect other than the Very costly sunroof gear mech and motor And the price reflects that , dont Walk away RUN away
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 02:39   #7
Paddy94

Going to go out and guess that there's no way to manually open or close the sunroof? I see that the motor is behind the courtesy light panel there, but I don't know if it's similar to the older s40s that had a slot for a flat head screwdriver.

I guess worse comes to worst, If it started leaking I could remove the glass and get access to the drains that way? Think it's just four screws that hold it in. Thanks for the replies guys.

Tags
r design, s40, s40 2.0d, sunroof