Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to use the HDD in my car?

Views : 698

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2016, 13:27   #1
taz777
VOC Member

Default How to use the HDD in my car?

There appears to be a hard disk drive in my car for music playing. I can see it in the Media menu and when I access it, it tells me there is no music on it. It asks me to upload music to it by pressing OK. If I do this then nothing happens.

I'm also supposed to be able to get information about it but cannot do any operations.

I do have an iPod plugged into the USB socket that works really well, so it was just an out-of-interest thing for me to look at the HDD.

Do I need to plug in a USB stick with music on it or insert a music CD/DVD to explore the HDD capability?

At the moment I just want to see how big the HDD is.
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 15:08   #2
Bantambuddy
VOC Member

This should help
http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars...a801e801b7f477
XC60 SE Lux Nav Manual D5 AWD Black Sapphire; Polestar; Family Pack; Driver Support Pack; Winter Pack with Active Bending Headlights; Front and Rear Parking Sensors; Privacy Glass; Diamondbrite;20" Wheels
Bantambuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 16:01   #3
taz777
VOC Member

I did read the manuals (paper, online and PDF) to check the operation. Unfortunately, Volvo manuals are very poor (as are most car owner's manuals).

Anyway, I've resolved the issue now.

I do indeed have an HDD in the car. In order to use any of the HDD menus, you need to have a USB stick plugged into the USB port with readable music files on it and/or a DC/DVD disc with readable music files on it inserted into the CD slot.

If these conditions are met then you can copy the music files from the USB stick or CD/DVD onto the Sensus HDD.

From there you have full access to the HDD menus.

The issue I had was that I had my iPod plugged into the USB socket so there were no readable files on it from a HDD music player point of view (as there's a separate iPod media interface in Sensus).

Anyway, the HDD is nothing to write home about - it's only 10GB in size.

So what I've done is convert 110GB of lossless files on my iPod to small MP3 files, put them onto a USB stick and transferred them onto the Sensus HDD, simply as a backup option in case my iPod fails one day. I might find another use for the HDD one day - it's nice to know it's there but it can't play video files which would have been really useful.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 22:42   #4
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

I wonder would it be possible to swap that HDD for a bigger one...
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote