Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alternator upgrade

Views : 8689

Replies : 145

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2019, 09:42   #111
940volvoman
Master Member

I thank you for your patience,Ash and Dave.It got rather technical for me,so I really appreciate your help.
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 09:56   #112
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
HTG, sometimes I don't know where I get the patience.

Dave - look after this will you - its dark-all-around o'clock over here and I've had a full day of dealing with Tongans pumped on beating the Aussies at rugby league and South Africans pumped on beating some poor ungrateful sods at the gentleman's form of the game.

I'm sure you can see where I'm trying to steer Shaun on this.

Cheers
I'll have a go Ash, it's where i've been trying to steer all the way through the thread but i get your drift.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 18:37   #113
940volvoman
Master Member

The car has been standing, unused for 48 hours,and I just started it. So it has had time to discharge and drain anything it is going to drain.

I just started the car and it is charging at its maximum,which is 14.5volts.....(tested by to voltage across the battery terminals)with a DMM

So at least that part is ok. The battery was fitted a couple of years ago when the alternator was providing much less voltage,as confirmed by my aftermarket analogue gauge in car.

Therefore I am assuming that the battery was f###ed before the regulator was replaced.So a new battery would no doubt help?
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 18:59   #114
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
The car has been standing, unused for 48 hours,and I just started it. So it has had time to discharge and drain anything it is going to drain.

I just started the car and it is charging at its maximum,which is 14.5volts.....(tested by to voltage across the battery terminals)with a DMM

So at least that part is ok. The battery was fitted a couple of years ago when the alternator was providing much less voltage,as confirmed by my aftermarket analogue gauge in car.

Therefore I am assuming that the battery was f###ed before the regulator was replaced.So a new battery would no doubt help?
Almost certainly - on both counts! Save you looking for the ebay link again :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HB096-Lea...v/192434766703

A normal, lead-acid, 70Ah battery that will fit in the battery box, give you improved reserve and starting and be able to make use of the 100A your alternator is (or should be capable of) giving.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 19:37   #115
940volvoman
Master Member

I'll get that one,thanks Dave,But with the knowledge of my voltage wouldn't it sustain the silver ones?Or is that a whole new can of worms??
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 20:02   #116
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
I'll get that one,thanks Dave,But with the knowledge of my voltage wouldn't it sustain the silver ones?Or is that a whole new can of worms??
No, definitely not! The silver-calcium ones need 14.7V just to start charging, they do not charge on 14.5V!

Look :

Brand new calcium battery, brand new alternator - wouldn't charge properly, kept going flat over a period of about a week. Added the voltage boost diode cunningly disguised in that plug fitted in the wire there to boost the voltage to 14.7-15.1V - no problem since!

I should add the battery wasn't labeled so i didn't even know it was a calcium battery, it had been sold as a normal lead-acid battery but without labels.

I've also had this with another member of the forum who was sold a calcium battery and couldn't work out why it kept going flat so he bought a new alternator from the same place. Eventually with my guidance, he took the battery back and explained to them the alternator wouldn't charge it because it wasn't designed to - they admitted they shouldn't have sold him the calcium battery and refunded and then he bought a normal lead-acid battery.
Since then he's had no further troubles except when he hasn't been able to use the car for an extended period.

Old Nov 4th, 2019, 21:43   #117
940volvoman
Master Member

I've probably fallen foul of this rule on my van,too,although I haven't experienced the same discharge problems.I will check it and see...
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 14:34   #118
TonyS9
Premier Member

14.5V at the battery is a good result, but you didn't mention is you followed any of my loading suggestions (with high beam), or measuring the alternator voltage.

If the battery is well charged with no lights you might get a good result. Also if your alternator has a stupidly high voltage it may cause other issues.

This will be a more sensitive and definitive test. Volt drop to the battery depends on total current comming from the alternator and the resistance in the cables and connectors.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 21:24   #119
940volvoman
Master Member

Thanks,TonyS9.
The battery wasn't fully charged,ie by an external charger,and hasn't been on a long journey since September.Back in the summer I added new cables from the alternator direct to the battery+terminal,an additional ground at the alternator to the body and an additional ground from the battery to the car body.So I'm hoping that there is little resistance between alternator and battery.I tested the voltage at the battery with airconditioning fan on full and low beam on.
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 11:52   #120
940volvoman
Master Member

So tell me,then,if my alternator is producing 14.5 volts and a a silver calcium battery needs 14.7 before it starts charging what happens to the 14.5 volts receives?