Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Pump Location

Views : 1871

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2018, 23:35   #11
SE10 Amazon

Thanks everyone. Been a hectic festive period but with a booze free January hopefully I can find some time to learn some things from you lots!

Will update soon!
SE10 Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 14:28   #12
SE10 Amazon

please find attached over 3000 words, or a few photos of my engine bay.

From reading the above though, I should be looking below the spark plugs, attached to the block, which is obviously the only photo I dont have!

Am I right? or can you see it in these photos?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7749.jpg (240.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7751.jpg (223.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7750.jpg (228.0 KB, 37 views)
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 14:41   #13
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Hello "Se10", should be under/behind the alternator. Because this engine is with a 1-2-3 distributor I think you will have a electric pump under the car near the fuel cell. The ventsystem of the engine is not complete. Have a look at sw-em http://www.sw-em.com/pcv_diagrams_and_notes.htm
Regards Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 14:46   #14
v8250

SE10, I'm a little worried for you - if you do not know how to locate a fuel pump you shouldn't be doing the job. One should instinctively know how to locate such a simple component [follow the fuel line from either the carbs or the tank and you'll find your pump].

PS
1. you need a Haynes Amazon manual - fast
2. read the manual fuel/carburettor section thoroughly before starting any form of work on your fuel system
3. promise us you'll have no live/hot source of ignition whilst your working on the fuel system...no lit cigarettes, cigars, pipes, halogen bulb work lights

And as per MA above, it's behind the alternator/under the brake servo unit
v8250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 15:38   #15
SE10 Amazon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Hello "Se10", should be under/behind the alternator. Because this engine is with a 1-2-3 distributor I think you will have a electric pump under the car near the fuel cell. The ventsystem of the engine is not complete. Have a look at sw-em http://www.sw-em.com/pcv_diagrams_and_notes.htm
Regards Kay
Thanks Kay, I am passing by the garage today so I will look then.

As for the 123 Alternator, that was only recently fitted and as such there isn't an electric fuel pump near the cell (tank!) but well spotted! As crazy as it sounds, I fitted it, got it wired up correctly, set the timing, and got the engine running for the first time in 14 years. albeit with some help of this forum. Hence where i noticed the fueling problem.

It is a shame that some seem to think that because i don't know what the Amazon fuel pump looks like I am not allowed to work or learn more about classic cars. My oracle, who is also my dad, is terminally ill and I am trying to get this car up and running for him while he can barely make it out of bed. So i would rather ask this forum than keep bugging him.

So i appreciate your input.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 15:54   #16
SE10 Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishor View Post
Hi

I am in SE288qp, my number is 07828879494, if you need my help with your car.

Ta
Kassie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason123GT View Post
Likewise - if you need a hand, im in SE4 lewisham way...

Jason
Thanks Gents, I will probably take you up on these very kind offers seeing as some don't think I am allowed to go near the car due to being uninstinctive (google said this was a word!) or for asking stupid questions.

Ed
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 16:19   #17
tdz840
VOC Member

No such thing as a stupid question. Only stupid if you repeat the mistake more than twice.
All the knowledge on here is based on experience and you are on the first rung of a long ladder.
Ask, receive, implement, learn and then share.
Its a rewarding process

All the best
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tdz840 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 17:30   #18
amazon69
Premier Member

What are the fuel issues? The pump should be between the fuel lines I have highlighted, and in the vicinity of the red circle, behind the alternator, attached to the block. It is a mechanical pump. If not there then trace the fuel line back under the car until you come to an electric pump somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pump.jpg (332.6 KB, 22 views)
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 14:25   #19
SE10 Amazon

There it is, thanks everyone...........!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0256.jpg (275.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0257.jpg (208.5 KB, 18 views)
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 14:38   #20
SE10 Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon69 View Post
What are the fuel issues? The pump should be between the fuel lines I have highlighted, and in the vicinity of the red circle, behind the alternator, attached to the block. It is a mechanical pump. If not there then trace the fuel line back under the car until you come to an electric pump somewhere.
The car fires and starts but does not idle. Timing is set right and all moving parts move when not running or when turning over(i think!)

The car had sat idle for 14 years, so I have drained all fuels and oils and replaced with fresh. but i feel that the fuel lines and filter could be the cause of the problem following some light bedtime reading.

Thoughts?